Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vibra Prime - the true story

I've seen lots of I hate this, this thing sucks, I never use mine cause its a pain in the ass etc. That is sort of true, out of the package they aren't all that great but with a little massaging they can be awesome

There are a few of these threads out there, but I am going to show you what to do to make your Vibra Prime work great!

First things first, Midway had/has these on sale for $23 bucks so I figured I'd give it a shot.

Out of the package: I could see there was flash that needed cleaned up and rough edges that needed to be smoothed right away for it to even work. When I got it I tried filling a tube and it would drop 1 or 2 primers in and jam up.

photo11_zpsa8aca071.jpg

Clean up the flash: I took an exacto knife and cleaned up the primer drop hole

photo31_zps52e288b6.jpg

Smooth the edges: A little 1000grit sandpaper rolled up took care of the rough edges and smoothed everything out. Primers flowed through like a good micro brew down my throat...

photo41_zps0429890c.jpg

continued in next post...

Removing unneeded parts: You really don't need the adapter to fill tubes, the Dillon and the Vibra prime tubes friction fit without it, so I got rid of it for the sake of speed when loading tubes

photo12_zps663286fe.jpg

Then I cut the Vibra prime tube and added the Dillon tip to it so I have another almost identical filler tube to the Dillons.

photo21_zpsb44fe778.jpg

Customizing it for your needs: I am only loading 9MM ammo and or small primers so I didn't need the large side of the primer tray. I filled that side off with hot glue and trimmed it so primers can't fall out the hole when I am flipping them and getting them ready to load. And if I ever need the large size all I have to do is pop out the hot glue and its ready to go for those as well. When the glue is cool enough to touch I flattened it so it is flush with the top of the filler tray and then once it was cool I trimmed it so the lid still snaps on.

photo42_zps3901ed13.jpg

Continued....

The make life easy mod: The top of the Vibra prime unit has a little lip that holds the top of the filler tray in place, but its a pain if you are trying to fill tubes as fast as possible. You have to remove the whole filler tray to get the lid off. That wasn't going to cut it. So I trimmed the lip off with an exacto and then filed it flush and finished it with some 1000 grit sandpaper.

Before:

photo13_zpsa715b496.jpg

Trimmed, filed, finished and sanded smooth:

photo4_zpsd29210f2.jpg

Now I can take the lid on and off to fill the tray without pulling the whole assembly which saves me some time

photo9_zps38a5a9a3.jpg

That's it, I spent maybe an hour doing everything and it works like a charm now!

I figured for $23 bucks there was nothing to lose. Either it would work decently and I would be happy, or it wouldn't work and I was out a 24 pack of beer.

It works better than expected so I guess I kinda won the primer tube filler scratch off lotto! LOL

Update: I put the adapter that came on the small filler tube back on the machine for no reason other than to hold the filler tray in place. That way everything lines up. My Dillon tubes slide in and out of it and it holds them in place.

Very nice. Many of us have done various things to fine tune these Vibra Primes. They do work out of the box but can be tempermental with certain brands of primers. A little modification and they can work more consistently and easier:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=182496

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=192866

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=166837

I cleaned up the flash on my tray and I modified the lid of mine (rather than the unit itself) so I can install/remove my lid without removing the tray from the unit. Also, I have the black fitting installed (to hold the tray in place) and it holds the aluminum tube in place and aligned properly. Making my own tubes saved a few dollars over the Dillon ones and now I can load up 12 of them.

I reload both small and large primers with mine. Only problem I have is with large Winchester pistol primers wanting to flip over from time to time. A layer of tape under the lid fixed that.

I think the moral of the story and all the links out there in these is: They aren't perfect by any means, but with a little ingenuity and some massaging they become a great inexpensive option for filling your primer tubes.

• 8 months later...

I think in need to quit drinking. My stock VP looks just like ths one right now.

photo42_zps3901ed13.jpg

And I am responding to a year old post.

How many does it take to post in the classified section these days anyway?

2750. You are almost there. Don't get caught running it up.

Tag for reference. Having issues with Winchester small pistol primers in mine.

yes, they give me fits compared to federals

Yup. My Federal AR match primers go thru like nothing. Winchester small pistol hang every 5th one. It about flew across the garage last time. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Mine worked good out of the box. I do not like Winchester primers. I try and use CCI. Here is a link to my review on the Vibra prime tool;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Da2sjLKtQOY

Cmax

Decent vid. Thanks for sharing.

Supposedly these are getting a redesign, and FA is supposed to be sending me a new one. Ive started avoiding Winchester primers largely because they wont feed thru this thing. Call me lazy I guess, but I hate stabbing primers.

My tray won't insert all the way into the handle. I can't get a tube lined up. FA is going to send me a new one. In the interim, I just put the primers in the tray, put the tube in the hole and shake it. About as fast as filling using the handle. I bet someone could design a manual flip tray/filler that was a little better quality and make great cash selling them.

Dillon and Uniquetek, Are you listening?

Mine worked good out of the box. I do not like Winchester primers. I try and use CCI. Here is a link to my review on the Vibra prime tool;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Da2sjLKtQOY

Cmax

Decent vid. Thanks for sharing.

Supposedly these are getting a redesign, and FA is supposed to be sending me a new one. Ive started avoiding Winchester primers largely because they wont feed thru this thing. Call me lazy I guess, but I hate stabbing primers.

Yeah I hate stabbing primers as well. thanks for heads up on the redesign, I will contact them...Cmax