Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Pistols For Newbies

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't compete.  I do like reliable accurate pistols.  I've been through Glock (only bought 1), XDM (bought 2 and the 3.8" 9MM shot much better groups than the 5.25" 9MM - maybe I got a bad one), M&P (reliability issues with the 9MM and tumbling bullets with the .357 SIG) and finally got a P07.  The P07 (must have got a good one) has a 3&1/4 lb. single action trigger pull and an 8&1/2 lb. DA trigger pull - factory.   Groups were head and shoulders above the previous guns.  That led to a P09 9MM and that thing is a laser.   The trigger pull (factory) on the P09 was 3&3/4 lbs SA and DA was also slightly higher than the P07.

I've bought a few CZs since those two.  I won't be buying anything else in the future.

I fell in love with shooting right off the bat and put over 70,000 rounds through my XDM 5.25.  It finally got to the point where accuracy dropped off quite a bit.  Plus I did the trigger job myself, and always suspected it could have been better.  Because I like to shoot so much live fire (dryfire is also fun) I'll always shoot production to keep the cost down...  When I replaced my XDM I decided to eliminate any gun/accuracy related excuses, so I went with a CZ Accu Shadow.  It's really made a big difference.  Funny thing is that shortly after getting my CZ I shot another XDM that had a fantastic trigger.  I kind of kick myself for not having someone do a bang up trigger job right off the bat.  

I love my CZ, but it takes a lot more maintenance than the XDM.  The XDM had to be sent back twice, and they fixed it with no questions asked.  I tortured that gun.  It would get so hot I wouldn't be able to maintain proper grip, so I'd stick the barrel and slide in my ice chest while reloading mags. :) Can't beat it.   

If I had to do it all over again I'd buy the CZ.  The cost of the gun is nothing compared to the ammo.  And there were a couple of accuracy issues I struggled with for a long time that simply disappeared with my CZ.  If you can't do the super expensive Accu, maybe just get the regular shadow and upgrade as you go.  The stock XDM is also a great gun a new shooter could start off with, then send it off for an awesome trigger job after they get a little experience.  

Just get a gun and try the sport.  Then, if you get addicted, start reloading sooner than later so you can shoot more.   I'd rather drive a beater and shoot 500 rounds a week.    It's awesome!

Edited by Just4FunLP

On August 20, 2016 at 0:36 PM, slamm said:

You can't go wrong with a Glock. If you go with the 35 you can shoot a conversion barrel for 3 gun to increase magazine capacity 

I have several buddies that did exactly this^

Bought 35s, bought conversion barrels.  They set the gun up for limited, but swap in the 9mm barrel for Steel / 3-gun.

Gotta be the one of the cheapest ways to go with a universal setup.