Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2 Thumbs up for Johnny Glocks trigger kit

igolfat8

I have been shooting the better part of the last 50 years but only for fun and non-competitively. Recently I was invited to shoot bowling pins at the local sportsman’s club and after the first outing I was hooked. For several months I competed with my Gen 3 G22 and it met my needs but after shooting a few race guns of some of the other members I was bitten by that bug. A few months ago I was fortunate to purchase a Gen 4 G35 from which to build my own race gun on. Soon thereafter I added a Burris Fast Fire III red dot, Ghost connector, a Lone Wolf barrel with a Carver frame mount for the site, a Carver *thumb rest [generic]* and a Carver comp. The barrel was chosen just so I could shoot my own cast boolits.

I have Ghost connectors and spring kits in a few of my other Glocks and I really appreciated the lighter pull over the stock connector. A couple of times, I came very close to ordering a Vanek trigger but ultimately I really wanted something with an adjustable pre-travel and post-travel which Vanek had discontinued.

Then I stumbled on a few discussions involving Johnny Glock triggers. I had never heard of him or his company before but I decided to give him a try since he offered me a money back guarantee if I wasn’t happy with the performance of his trigger mods. Therefore, I ordered his “Level III” competition only trigger group as well as his modified striker. All said and done it was a bit pricy ($250) for what are basically hot rodded OEM parts. http://johnnyglocks.com/?page_id=70

A couple days later the package arrived in the mail box and I went to work installing the parts in my beloved G35. I took it to the range and put it through its paces. The pre-travel is adjusted by a small set screw Johnny installs in the trigger and it came adjusted with just a tiny hint of take up before resistance was felt and then on to a very easy break to release the striker. Johnny had included 3 different striker springs and I opted for the 4.0# spring, which he said could affect the reliability of primer strikes. However, every round went bang. He also includes a reshaped safety plunger and lighter plunger spring. The mushroom top is machined and polished to a mirror like surface. The pull was shorter than my Ghost connectors provided and it seemed lighter as well although I don’t have a spring pull gauge to provide any hard data to support my opinion. Post travel was nonexistent thanks to an additional set screw that Johnny installs in the rear trigger housing which is exactly what I wanted.

The trigger group seemed to function flawlessly until I noticed that when I held the trigger in follow through, after releasing the striker, sometimes the trigger would not reset. This puzzled me so I began swapping my old parts, out one at a time, until I narrowed it down to something in the trigger group must be causing the intermittent lack of trigger reset. It seemed to disappear if I reset the trigger during recoil or if I didn't hold the trigger back with a lot of force. I emailed Johnny that evening and he quickly replied with several things to check that I had not. We could not resolve the issue so he offered to send me another trigger group along with a return shipping label.

The new group arrived in 2 days and I installed it in a dirty gun. If it was going to fail why give it a chance in a clean gun. I took the newly installed parts to the range and proceed to run 300 rounds through it WITHOUT a single malfunction. I tried to make this new group fail by squeezing the trigger as firm as possible, machine gunning the trigger, double taps, hot loads, extremely light loads and the new trigger did not balk one time!

I also noticed that this trigger group felt even lighter and smoother than the previous group which was by far the best one I had ever tried. He made an attempt to explain how he reshapes the bird’s beak on the trigger bar end and changes some other contacting angles on other parts but all that is beyond me. All I know is this trigger works better than ANY trigger I have ever felt in any pistol, bar none! This is the closest thing to a world class 1911 trigger in a striker fired pistol that I have experienced.

I am just an average Joe who enjoys shooting and I have no affiliation with Johnny Glocks nor am I receiving any compensation for this review. Its seldom that I write reviews but I felt the need to give Johnny some kudos for some of the finest customer service I have ever encountered and for a drop in trigger kit that is remarkable and truly outstanding.

Thanks Johnny!

PS,

Oops, I forgot to mention another cool thing he does is to machine the trigger safety tab down so it is flush with the face of the trigger when you press the trigger. It still maintains the safety feature so have no fear. It just eliminates the sore finger tip that some may experience when shooting Glocks for extended periods of time.

Edited by igolfat8

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Its seldom that I write reviews but I felt the need to give Johnny some kudos for some of the finest customer service I have ever encountered and for a drop in trigger kit that is remarkable and truly outstanding."

I could not agree with this statement more. I think the guy would drive to your home and install it for you if that's what it took to make you happy.

Yes he does. Give him a call and tell him exactly what you want. If it has to do with a Glock trigger he does it. I am not associated with his business but I have yet to ask for something that he didn't do exactly as I asked for it and many times it was better than what I envisioned.

JOHNNY

(941)894-7114

www.johnnyglocks.com

https://www.facebook.com/JohnnyGlocks

From the source- YES and call me as I build these custom to your request. 941-894-7114 and check out some new vids

they are off topic as far as USPSA production legal but still good Glock information

I can not give Johnny Glock's trigger any more praise then others have already. All I can say is that I have installed one and I became the Area 6 Three Gun Limited Champion, won high overall numerous times shooting Limited in local matches (beating open guys) and winning other big local 3 gun matches. It is the closest thing you can get to a 1911 trigger on a Glock without switching to a 1911.

Adam

It is the closest thing you can get to a 1911 trigger on a Glock without switching to a 1911.

I agree but would add "Its the closest thing you can get to a [really good] 1911 trigger".

I have his gen 4 kit and I'm happy with it just dry firing it ... I have yet put a round down range cannot believe the customer service Johnny give out to us customers.

I do hope I can find a combination that will light off my winchester / cci rifle primers...

looking forward to shredding with this...

Edited by RippSpeed

RippSpeed: I have the Gen 4 Kit as well. I am using a regular Glock striker and using the lowest power spring that came with the competition pack. I have not had any round fail to go off due to light primer strikes. I have shot International Frangible, Winchester, CCI Blazer, S&B, etc.

It will be fine.

I have used Federal, CCI and Winchester SPP using a 4.0 and 4.5 springs without a single failure to ignite any of them. I now use the 4.5 in competition just to be on the safe side but never had a 4.0 fail to do the job.

I have been using the 4# spring with my kit with the stock striker for the past year and a half. The only light strikes I ever get is when the spring needs replacing. I tried a Zev striker but it really screwed up the trigger pull so I went back to the OEM striker. I always make sure to seat primers very firmly to make them as sensitive as possible and so far I have not had a problem with light strikes.

Edited by bowenbuilt

• 2 weeks later...

I wrote a review on Johnny's trigger and I typically do not do reviews so as my first post I got flamed by naysayers claiming advertisement. Whatever, I don't have time for people like that. I have about 6K rounds through my Johnny Glock trigger using WSPP using the 4.5 spring and it has been flawless. As others have stated, it is the best trigger I have ever felt on a Glock. I have Vanek triggers as well and prefer Johnny's though don't get me wrong, the Vanek is a very good trigger but I fell in love with Johnny's. He is great to talk to and is happy to explain things in detail.

I sent John my Vanek Classic trigger group to have him take the pre-travel out of it and to put his angles on everything. I received it back last Thursday and installed it into a brand new G35 back-up gun. I also sent a stock striker to have it Johnnytized. I am going to shoot it today and also find out how many rounds it will go before it either won't reset or has another problem. With a 4# striker spring I am getting a 2.8# trigger pull with a flash reset. I plan on putting 500 rounds through the gun today so I will report back if I run into and problems. Just dry firing it today it is a beautiful trigger, very little if any creep with a crisp break and no over travel with a very positive and forceful reset. I honestly don't know how you could get it any better, The true test will be shooting it which I am going to do in about an hour.

Edited by bowenbuilt

So I ran the 500 rounds through the new gun and once everything got broke in it was flawless. It took about 100 rounds to get the gun to function reliably and after that it did not miss a beat. The trigger never failed during this but I had a few FTF and several FTE during the first 100 or so rounds. I checked the trigger pull again after the range session and it gives a reliable 2.7#'s of pure enjoyment. Smooth, slick and just what I wanted. I wiped everything down and put some slide-glide on the barrel and frame rails and took it back out for another 100 rounds. It ran flawless and I could not be happier with how the trigger turned out.

Just like all new guns just everything is tight. I had put a KKM barrel in it from the start so it was really snug to start with. This is pretty normal and nothing I didn't expect.

Edited by bowenbuilt

Just like all new guns just everything is tight. I had put a KKM barrel in it from the start so it was really snug to start with. This is pretty normal and nothing I didn't expect.

Not Normal. I have fired more than 100,000 rounds from Gen 4 Glocks with zero issues. All started as new pistols.

Not my experience at all. With an aftermarket gunsmith fit barrel and a 13# spring starting in a new gun I have always had a few hiccups to start. It never lasted more than the first hundred rounds unless there was an extractor problem. This gun has run the next 500 hundred without an issue so I would say it will continue until something wears out. I don't think I have had a problem with a stock gun but none of mine have stayed stock for very long. In my experience this is very normal.

Not my experience at all. With an aftermarket gunsmith fit barrel and a 13# spring starting in a new gun I have always had a few hiccups to start. It never lasted more than the first hundred rounds unless there was an extractor problem. This gun has run the next 500 hundred without an issue so I would say it will continue until something wears out. I don't think I have had a problem with a stock gun but none of mine have stayed stock for very long. In my experience this is very normal.

I see what you are saying now. Stock Glocks run from the beginning and your modified Glocks need a breaking in period.

I see what you are saying now. Stock Glocks run from the beginning and your modified Glocks need a breaking in period.

Pretty easy to figure out...

Stock Glock barrels are soo forgiving while the kkm barrels have alot tighter chambers. And this is further amplified if you load your own rounds.