Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

versamax failure to eject problem

colbyjack

I'm new to the semi auto shotgun scene, so I'll try to explain my problem best I can.

I'm running Rio 7 1/2 shot 1150 fps. I've ran 20 boxes or so with no problems. The lifter has been welded by crums. Bolt has been polished too. Running a +2 extension tube.

Yesterday in the 3 gun match I had 3 or 4 failure to eject. The shell was stuck coming out. Looked to be almost all the way back. And the next shell was on the lifter. Couldn't tell if the shot shell was snagging on something or if it didn't have enough gas to kick it out. I forgot to mention the one side of the chamber has been chamfered rounded and polished. I yanked the bolt handle back and the shell flew out. One time I had to stick finger in to pull it out.

Do you think I could be limp wristing so to speak? I mean didn't have it firm enough into shoulder? Or think maybe I have a o ring or gas leak? I've ran this ammo alot and no problems. Nothing has changed, just started to have problems...

I'll take it apart when I get home. But how do I check or tell if o ring is bad. Do the rings need to be installed wet or dry? Can I buy at hardware store, what size? Or what do you think is wrong with it? Thanks. -Chris

Yeah I clean it every couple matches couple hundred rounds or so. No greese, just CLP. Brush down the barell, oil bolt. What are ya thinking? Gas ports plugged?

And I'm going to ask, how detailed of a clean do I need to go on a versamax? Should i be doing more, or what am i missing? It's my first semi auto... I'd rather ask what i should do, then assume and miss something. Amy info on that would be appreciated. Thanks. -chris

It could be that ammo. I have never shot them as I reload but my reloads are VERY light (725 fps/ 1.1/6 oz) and I don't have a ejection problem. A friend shoots the Win feather lite ammo @ 950 fps that is advertised not to cycle semi auto and has no problems.

Sounds good, I'll try some this weekend. I'll also clean it good. Itd be worth it for me to buy better ammo if that's all it is. That ammo could be hit and miss. Just wierd I ran it alot with no problems. I got some federal pink shells too. I believe their 1150 fps also. Maybe I'll try some 1200 fps shells too. Just to see what it likes. Thanks for your input guys.

The only problem I've had with the Rios is that sometimes they wouldn't chamber cleanly. I did a little polishing on the extractor cut and that seemed to help, but it only happened on the Rios and cheap white box winchesters.

I'd avoid getting CLP in the gas ports / pistons. I'm not a fan of that stuff in general and could see that getting into the pistons/ports and gumming things up.

I have yet to find any factory ammo that my VMs will not run 100%. It is a gas gun and will run with your shoulder into it, or not...does not matter with the VM.

The pistons, chamber plugs (and o-rings) need to be dry! No lube at all. I have seen a few back out the plug a touch and leak, but it has to almost be falling out to not function. I finally broke down and cleaned my main VM on Thursday, after 5K rounds, before the Nordic match. I did not function fire it, but it ran 300 plus rounds no sweat. I certainly took a lot of carbon off the plug rods though.

I have also seen 3 that the chamber weld to the barrel had cracked...but these usually act like weak loads and do not eject.

Without looking at your actual gun or malfunction, it is likely lifter related. The lifter spring or the lifter may need a little tune. This can be a slight catch on the actual lifter itself (look for ridges around the rub spots) or your lifter needs a lift...some lifters hang down further than others. With the hammer cocked, pull the bolt to the rear and then ride it back into battery. If it catches, or stays open, then you should lift the lifter.

To lift the lifter, look at the contact point between the lifter and the front of the trigger guard. You can either JBWeld a piece of plastic in place or run a polymer tipped set screw into the trigger guard to tune the lifter "lift". Every VM is different and some don't need this while others do. Some, with low powered loads and low hanging lifters will have the malfunction you are seeing.

Thanks man, I'll break it down. And check it all out. Hope it's nothing serious. If it is the o rings do I get from hardware store or call Remington? Are they normally really dirty under the handguards from the gas system?

The lifter that crums did does lightly catch the bolt. If i let lifter go up and let bolt close slow the bolt can come to a stop and rest on the lifter. But I mean just tap with a ink pin or shake and it'll close. I don't think it's enough to stop it when it's running. Cause I can cycle it all day by hand full speed and it don't catch. I was thinking of filing the part on the bolt edge at a 45 so it slips past. I also thought of buying a stock lifter and trying that too. To rule out crums weld job. Can't find one on brownells or midway.

Stock lifters have the problem too, nothing Crums did to it.

There will be about 5 inches or so of the handguard that have a very thin film of soot, but that should be about it.

I have no idea what polymer the o-rings are made of...so I would be inclined to buy them from Remington if you need some.

Maybe she was dirty. I'll try it out. Lots of carbon in it. The Pistons wouldn't fall out. I had to beat theme out with a plastic hammer. Wonder if that Rio is too dirty and gummed it all up. I'll go test run it and find out. Got 2 new gas rings coming too. After that I'll play with the lifter. Just not to familiar with the lifter and don't want to mess it up.

Were the pistons freely moving to cycle the action? If so, that is fine. After about 200+ rounds, completely removing the pistons, they will stick some coming out. Rio is a bit on the dirty side though.

I have experienced a few FTE's. Upon tear down and thorough inspection, I discovered my VersaMax had some peening on the bolt lugs. When the bolt went to full back position, it would rub on the inside of the receiver. I smoothed the lug so it no longer could hit on the receiver if I pushed the bolt carrier all the way backwards in the receiver by the bolt face with my finger.