Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lack of Gun Focus....I want them all!

Hey Guys,

Well I started competition shooting IDPA and USPSA last year. I did what most people do and shot what I had and had fun with it. Eventually I got hooked and started this crazy cycle of buying and trading for gaming guns. I've been extremely lucky in that I've just about come even on every trade and swap and I loved learning the different manual of arms. My performance has improved and I've become one of the better shooters at my club through hard work and a ton of dry firing!

My performance on each different pistol has been the same (Thanks to focusing on the fundamentals) but I'm at a point where I think I should stick with one or two pistol platforms and master them. Is this a common thing to happen when getting into shooting sports? I'm doing my best to stick to shooting what I currently have and I'm saving up for a custom built gun or a higher end one such as the CZ-Shadow, STI Eagle, Tanfoglio Limited Pro and just sticking to that....but man it's hard to keep the same gun when there are so many great options out there.

Any positive feedback, relative experience, and advice would be great!

you said you performance was the same, so whats the problem? shoot whatever makes you happy.

shooting is different things for different people, some like to tinker with loads, some like to tinker with guns, others tinker with technique.

I've switched back and forth between a glock and a 1911 and it did take some conscious thought on my part to adjust my grip and manipulate the thumb safety. Like you I seemed to shoot about the same with both guns.

good luck, have fun...

Most shooters I know buy, sell, and trade all the time. Most inaccuracies with modern firearms of reasonable quality are due to the shooter and not the gun. All of my guns are way more accurate than I am, especially when the buzzer goes off. Enjoy trying different ones. I do like the idea of sticking with one or two platforms, but the temptation to try different ones is too much for me.

At some point, you may have to try quite a few platforms and divisions.

I like shooting open, or production, but I almost always shoot open .

I would keep one pretty close to your carry gun - eg, I get trigger freeze pretty easy when shooting something other than my open gun, if I haven't shot it in awhile.

Lots of shooters love to buy, try, and sell guns. Nothing wrong with it. It is straight up fun to get a new gun and try it out.

As far as financial sense ... very few hobbies make financial sense! Thankfully, that is not what hobbies are about.

You are doing you. Nothing wrong with it. Carry on! :bow:

I'm at a point where I think I should stick with one or two pistol platforms and master them. but it's hard to keep the same gun when there are so many great options out there.

Depends on your objective:

1. Master one - select a gun and master it

2. Enjoy all the great options - go for it.

Probably can't do both, at least not in the short term.

You could "master" them all, one at a time

but that will take some time, I'd imagine. :cheers:

• 3 weeks later...

I shot my classifier in IDPA in production, glock34. I shoot Uspsa limited glock 35 then I shoot for fun in either one with a STI SpartanV and I carry a Kimber. If they could get a 1911 trigger on a glock.

Its probably a good idea to shoot a lot of different divisions and guns to start out so that you can figure out what you like best. If you want to get better you should try to pick one and stick with it. At least that is what I keep telling myself.

Yep, shooting is shooting.

Do you love the idea of shooting many different guns, calibers, makes and models?

Or, do you enjoy mastering the activity and pursuing excellence?

Some of the things that make the best shooters great are things not related to the gun.

You can play for years shooting different platforms and achieve all your goals over time, or knuckle down and pick a platform and excel a little quicker.

For me, I'd stick to one platform in competition, but maybe satisfy my itch outside of competition with trips to the range shooting other stuff that tripped my trigger.

But, that's me. I have to say though, I've watched guys do it both ways and the shooters that pick and stick are generally better than the division jumpers over the same amount of time. AND, of course, once they have the skills, the skills translate better to the other divisions. The "stickers" just get better sooner because they can concentrate on shooting, not the new or next division/gun in their hand.

Yep, I'm pretty sure you'll never find a top instructor to tell you that you are better off jumping around between divisions and guns if you are trying to get better as fast as you can ...

As Chris said, once you learn the fundamentals when you change platforms you will discover that the fundamentals of shooting are still the same and you will probably get better with a different gun at a much different rate ...

• 2 weeks later...

Is this a common thing to happen when getting into shooting sports?

NO, there's clearly something wrong here, you should seek professional help :roflol:

OK, so maybe I have a small fetish for CZ75 pattern pistols... :ph34r:

_20140514_072224_zpszwnqnrr1.jpg

Oh my..I like you. lol..I have a couple of T120's and a Shark FC..My first match was with my 75 BD..the current plan is to shoot my 75 TS .40 in LTD major...I am debating a SP01 Shadow for production..Akai or CZC?

Depends on where you want to go. My approach was to get my feet wet and then cry once to buy gear that won't hold me back. I got serious about USPSA early last year and didn't have room for a press, so Production it was. Picked up a pair of SP01 Shadows from CZ Custom, dry fired most evenings, shot every weekend, and made M in this month's update. There's nothing about those pistols that limits my shooting, so I can't imagine how a different one would in any way benefit me. I've observed that the people who constantly fiddle with their gear and jump divisions aren't the ones moving up in the standings at monthly matches.

Depends on where you want to go. My approach was to get my feet wet and then cry once to buy gear that won't hold me back. I got serious about USPSA early last year and didn't have room for a press, so Production it was. Picked up a pair of SP01 Shadows from CZ Custom, dry fired most evenings, shot every weekend, and made M in this month's update. There's nothing about those pistols that limits my shooting, so I can't imagine how a different one would in any way benefit me. I've observed that the people who constantly fiddle with their gear and jump divisions aren't the ones moving up in the standings at monthly matches.

Makes sense. My reasoning for trying to obtain a SP-01 Shadow (or 2 would be even better!), is the trouble I am having finding them..the CZ 75 SP-01's in general seem to be disappearing quicker than they are being imported at the moment.

Makes sense. My reasoning for trying to obtain a SP-01 Shadow (or 2 would be even better!), is the trouble I am having finding them..the CZ 75 SP-01's in general seem to be disappearing quicker than they are being imported at the moment.

They pop up for sale on the classifieds now and then. A buddy of mine picked up a matched pair just last week. Or give Stuart at CZ Custom a ring. Another buddy got his slot in line a few days ago, which was running eight weeks.

• 2 months later...

For many of us (myself included) buying and modifying a new gun is as much fun as actually shooting... Shoot it for a while and then something catches our eye and we want that rush again!

I track everything in a spreadsheet and my "arsenal" usually sits around $15k and I churn about $5-7k per year. Small potatoes compared to some...

Edited by zimm33

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I know the feeling. I just got my custom 6" limited in August, but I'm already thinking of a CZ and shooting production. It never ends!

Picked up a Dan Wesson Pointman 9 in late May, a USP9 SD 1-2 months later, a USP 9 Expert last month, and a CZ SP-01 yesterday. At this point, none are production eligible save maybe the SP-01 (I'd have to check if the new trigger and hammer make it Limited) so I'm thinking maybe a VP9 for Production division. So many guns, not enough focus to just pick one because I like them all!

Edited by SubOrbital

Only you can decide what is rewarding for you. I like shooting different guns and tinkering. It is just what I like to do. I know other guys that have shot the exact same gun, powder, bullet and probably underwear for the last 10 years. More power to them. Except for a very, very few this is a hobby. You get to define what that looks like.

Only you can decide what is rewarding for you. I like shooting different guns and tinkering. It is just what I like to do. I know other guys that have shot the exact same gun, powder, bullet and probably underwear for the last 10 years. More power to them. Except for a very, very few this is a hobby. You get to define what that looks like.

:cheers::roflol::cheers:

• 2 weeks later...