Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do Not RO Your Girlfriend

jacketjoed

So the girlfriend decided that she wanted to start playing in the pistol games. So got her all setup with a new pistol and all the stuff she would need to shoot a match. Since she hadn’t shot much at all before got her in a really good class that is offered out here to get some trigger time and just be more safe and confident with manipulations and movement. Since then she had shot a few matches and done really well with safety, till this last weekend. It was our first stage and I was ROing, as the other guy that was able in our squad was the next shooter. It’s the Girlfriends turn to shoot, she makes it through the whole stage just fine without any safety issues but was struggling with her shooting and got a little frustrated and eventually ran out of ammo. Her gun was at slide lock and she turned to ask one of the other ladies that was shooting the same pistol for a fresh mag, only problem was when she turned her body the gun went with her. She didn’t cover anyone and the pistol was at slide lock so it wasn’t terrible but was still a 180 violation and I told her to stop and that I was really sorry but I had to DQ her. She took It very well and was more embarrassed then anything. She took her stuff to the car with a heavy head but came back and kept score for the rest of the match. Though the guys in my squad definitely didn’t let me live it down for the rest of the match the result turned out better than I thought it would. I still don’t recommend it.

So the girlfriend decided that she wanted to start playing in the pistol games. So got her all setup with a new pistol and all the stuff she would need to shoot a match. Since she hadn’t shot much at all before got her in a really good class that is offered out here to get some trigger time and just be more safe and confident with manipulations and movement. Since then she had shot a few matches and done really well with safety, till this last weekend. It was our first stage and I was ROing, as the other guy that was able in our squad was the next shooter. It’s the Girlfriends turn to shoot, she makes it through the whole stage just fine without any safety issues but was struggling with her shooting and got a little frustrated and eventually ran out of ammo. Her gun was at slide lock and she turned to ask one of the other ladies that was shooting the same pistol for a fresh mag, only problem was when she turned her body the gun went with her. She didn’t cover anyone and the pistol was at slide lock so it wasn’t terrible but was still a 180 violation and I told her to stop and that I was really sorry but I had to DQ her. She took It very well and was more embarrassed then anything. She took her stuff to the car with a heavy head but came back and kept score for the rest of the match. Though the guys in my squad definitely didn’t let me live it down for the rest of the match the result turned out better than I thought it would. I still don’t recommend it.

I would have just realigned the earth to change the orientation of the 180 boundaries so she wouldn't have been in violation....

Yes it was a local USPSA club match, the lady before her was shooting the same pistol and my GF loaned her a mag when she ran dry trying to knock down a array of KO plates. The same thing happened to my GF and she was down the mag that she gave the other lady, that why she was asking for one.

I would have just realigned the earth to change the orientation of the 180 boundaries so she wouldn't have been in violation....

I like your idea! lol that was a good one!

For a 180 at local club level, I would have called out, "180!" Then I would have warned her and told if she does it again, then its a DQ. Also it was obvious the gun was unloaded, so warning.

Had she swept someone, DQ.

A DQ can be very discouraging. Especially with new shooters.

( reminds me, never RO for my wife)

realign the earth, I cant stop laughing.

why do some guys have all the right stuff?

right, I need to lighten up a bit also. I only DQ'd one bloke who shot a hole thru the BBQ we had out on a stage as a prop.

Edited by Max It

For a 180 at local club level, I would have called out, "180!" Then I would have warned her and told if she does it again, then its a DQ. Also it was obvious the gun was unloaded, so warning.

THIS IS ABSOLUTELY THE WRONG THING TO DO.

A safety violation is a DQ whether you are new or have been shooting 30 years...doing what you describe not only does the shooter an injustice, it violates USPSA rules, and sets a precedent for any other safety violation being ignored.

I'm not a USPSA RO but my 17 year old daughter is. I don't have safety issues, but it's always a great start when your RO tells you immediately at the line she is hoping to DQ you.

Tough situation but you definitely did the right thing. Being DQed is generally a self correcting error and generally the she shooter doesn't make the same mistake twice.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just got my first IPSC DQ. It was after the "hammer down" but I got sloppy with a new holster and the gun dropped. It pains me greatly but it will also never happen again.

It's not just the DQ but the specter of getting another one in the same calendar year that's scary up here in the frozen north.

THIS IS ABSOLUTELY THE WRONG THING TO DO.

A safety violation is a DQ whether you are new or have been shooting 30 years...doing what you describe not only does the shooter an injustice, it violates USPSA rules, and sets a precedent for any other safety violation being ignored.

Agreed, and agreed again.

I can't figure out why it would somehow be different for someone to be shot by a newbie instead of an old timer. Or by a C/D shooter vs a GM. Or a brand new Production gun vs an Open race gun. Or by a senior vs a teenager. It doesn't matter who's holding the gun. It still hurts.

It's about safety, and it doesn't matter who made the mistake. We're trying to keep up a really good safety record, and we can't do that by making people happy by allowing them to make the most basic safety mistakes. Shot is shot, and I don't want any of us to be the one who has to explain it - or live with it.

The worst thing about letting newbies have breaks on the rules - just to keep 'em coming back - is that they learn the bad habit and don't really have to correct it. Yes, they'll say they "get" it, but watch them do it again, because there wasn't a solid lesson there. We all learn, and most people will come back.