Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Taylor Freelance Barrel Shroud

RJH

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had to look up what you were talking about, but it looks pretty sweet. And it would be an easy way to get that sight tracker effect for a glock. If you get one be sure to tell us how it goes!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Got to check one out last weekend, didn't get the chance to fire it, but it looks top notch. Looks like another good product for a limited gun on a budget.

Has anyone seen/tried the Taylor Freelance barrel shroud?

I had to look up what you were talking about, but it looks pretty sweet. And it would be an easy way to get that sight tracker effect for a glock. If you get one be sure to tell us how it goes!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I've tried to locate a photo of one but did not find one on their website. Anyone have a link to the shroud?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I find this product fascinating. I want to build a few uppers based on this concept because I know a few fellas that were considering going the G24 route, to include myself. But I have two questions.

1) Is it legal in USPSA Limited and Lim10? I can assume it is, but its not advertised as such.

2) And Taylor Freelance mentions Lone Wolf barrels exclusively, but will it work with KKM or Barsto?

I'm using a G35 now and anything that keeps the front sight relatively in the same place, I would find very advantageous and yet still cheaper than buying an STI Edge. Now I just have to get a used G22 gun or slide and build it up too.

It is legal for Limited or L10. Almost anything is legal in Limited or L10 now except for comps, optics and mags longer than 141.25mm.

That's me in the video up there, and I will be testing this for Power Factor Show tomorrow at a Level 1 match. Stay tuned for my impressions.

BTW: CDNN Sports has police trade in Glock 22's for $325 this weekend. I'm sure there will be more as departments are going back to the 9mm, from what I've read on the internet (so it must be true).

2) And Taylor Freelance mentions Lone Wolf barrels exclusively, but will it work with KKM or Barsto?

This, it a great idea, but if it means being forced to buy a Lone Wolf barrel he can keep it.

Edited by NPSS

To answer some of your questions:

Why LW barrels? I designed around the LW barrel because it was the most readily available -- and inexpensive. (We consumed several barrels figuring this out). I've since heard from several people that aren't big fans of LW -- any barrel with the same thread pitch will work.

Has anybody used it? Yes, but I can only speak for myself. I've been shooting up a pile of 175-grain cast lead I bought at auction, alternating between that and 155-grain MTG's for steel. I'm running stock springs, stock striker, and stock sights to demo the concept. Lighter springs should give you faster/flatter cycling and improved weak-hand reliability. I'm not a great USPSA shooter, but I managed 2nd Limited at the Wa State ISSA match shooting those 155s at about 150 PF. (ISSA has taken over all the Steel Challenge events in the Northwest.)

And some other questions people have asked:

What's it like? When I shoot it, it's easy to "follow the bouncing ball" into the next target. The overall effect is different than a "normal" pistol, and definitely "calmer" than the standard G22. John Wiley (a local Glock jockey) helped me with some test firing, and he wasn't sure whether to keep his G24, or switch to this system.

Can I use an over-length guide rod? No, the extended guide rods hit the set screw that holds the shroud in place. G17 length steel/tungsten rods are fine.

Can I use it on a G35? Yes. If you need one for a G35, I'll cut one to fit.

How do I clean it? Just take the guide rod out and let the barrel fall fully forward in the slide -- this exposes the breech for easy cleaning.

Robin Taylor

www.taylorfreelance.com

As long as I request Lone Wolf to throat and ream the chamber for lead before shipping I have never had an issue with any of their barrels. I have around 15 of them mixed in with KKM and Bar-Sto barrels in different guns. The Bar-Sto shows an improvement in accuracy in every gun I have fitted them to. The KKM and LWD barrels will sometimes be an improvement over the stock barrels but never any worse and neither is any more accurate or dependable than the other after reaming. Both brands need to be throated and reamed to optimize them and I have had several Bar-Sto's that needed this to reliably shoot coated lead and to alleviate the tight chamber. Other than having a super tight chamber, which they will fix for free, I don't understand why LWD is so frowned upon.

As long as I request Lone Wolf to throat and ream the chamber for lead before shipping I have never had an issue with any of their barrels. I have around 15 of them mixed in with KKM and Bar-Sto barrels in different guns. The Bar-Sto shows an improvement in accuracy in every gun I have fitted them to. The KKM and LWD barrels will sometimes be an improvement over the stock barrels but never any worse and neither is any more accurate or dependable than the other after reaming. Both brands need to be throated and reamed to optimize them and I have had several Bar-Sto's that needed this to reliably shoot coated lead and to alleviate the tight chamber. Other than having a super tight chamber, which they will fix for free, I don't understand why LWD is so frowned upon.

I just bought a lone wolf barrel. I honestly don't understand why they make the chamber so freaking tight. Almost none of my previously case gauged reloads work in it. I'm guessing that pain in the butt is the reason people frown on them. And having to pay extra to have their awful logo not laser engraved.

Edited by enutees