Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reload during movement

Gooldylocks> I have already put in the effort to prove to myself which way is more effective and consistent for my skill set. I don't feel the need to waste a day on the range doing it all again to film it just because of "interwebz forum". I would much rather spend my limited range time working on other things that I suck at that need fixed.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am not thinking of this discussion as agreeing or disagreeing with any particular approach being the "only" way in doing something. There are many different ways to do the same thing effectively. Its up to each of us to leverage the most effective way for our current skill level.

For example, if you can't stick a sub 1 second load standing then there is no way that you are going to be able to do it while existing the position at an aggressive pace. If all you can do is a 1.5 second reload while hauling ass, then doing a split load in this particular movement/shooting scenario may be the best plan of attack.

The most important thing is KNOWING which way is the most effective strategy by testing and measuring as you are doing. If anyone gets anything out of this thread I would hope that this simple fact is it. Most shooters don't want to put in the effort to do this type of testing themselves and that is the primary roadblock in them improving their performance.

This. +1000

He didn't give my class any directional stipulations, but basically said if it was more than a couple of steps, haul ass and then worry about the reload, and then had us run drills that way.

I think one thing to keep in mind is that Ben's advice may not be oriented towards the best possible competitive strategy, but perhaps also as a way to get less experienced shooters to start moving instead of standing there for a second or so completing the reload before even starting to move.

A bit late On this reply, but I just stumbled on an old podcast where he discusses this. It is called "Load and Run" from Sept 7, 2014 if you have interest in hearing him explain his thoughts on the subject.

You can find it on iTunes.

A bit late On this reply, but I just stumbled on an old podcast where he discusses this. It is called "Load and Run" from Sept 7, 2014 if you have interest in hearing him explain his thoughts on the subject.

I think what is left out (and I think largely because of the format) is the "how" and "when" to be effective at moving reloads...

E.g. If the distance is short, like ~3 feet, then it is really more like a static reload

Also, I'm convinced that there is more to it than "start moving your feet and get it done along the way..."

I think what is left out (and I think largely because of the format) is the "how" and "when" to be effective at moving reloads...

E.g. If the distance is short, like ~3 feet, then it is really more like a static reload

Also, I'm convinced that there is more to it than "start moving your feet and get it done along the way..."

My original post covered that. he basically said if it's more than a couple of steps, haul ass and have faith that the reload would be done. Anything shorter, focus on getting the reload done as fast as possible. I do not profess to be more knowledgeable than anyone posting on this subject, just simply relaying what Ben Stoeger said/did in the class and what he has discussed on his podcast. ymmv.

Edited by tha1000

My original post covered that. he basically said if it's more than a couple of steps, haul ass and have faith that the reload would be done. Anything shorter, focus on getting the reload done as fast as possible. I do not profess to be more knowledgeable than anyone posting on this subject, just simply relaying what Ben Stoeger said/did in the class and what he has discussed on his podcast. ymmv.

Right-o.

Looking at vids of Eric doing this, things are pretty specific. The reload is done within a few steps of the movement, with the movement being prioritized, except when moving to the "rear/away" quadrant (righty moving straight to the left or righty moving back to the left) and then it favors the split load.

I dunno what Ben does in those situations...

i prefer to get my reload done within the first one or two steps leaving a position. if i'm fooling with it anywhere i feel i'm wasting time and making a mistake.

the end of movement is for hitting your spot on the ground, eyes on the target, gun mounted. not fooling around with getting your gun ready to do stuff.