Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Versamax Competition Tactical 3-gun Review

AirForce2

Hmmm, After smoothing out the versa competition forcing cone rough lines/rings, I shot some 15 rds split between low recoil rio slugs & low recoil federal tru ball slugs a few weeks ago and having trouble getting consistent grouping at 100 yds. The group is about 12 inches or more with either rio or fed. It's no better or worse after smoothing out the cone. I had good results with the rio low recoil slugs out of my Mossberg 930 appx 6 inch or less and I thought I had a good grouping early on with the versamax competition that I remember ie...more like a 4-6 inch at 100 yds. Surprisingly the leading in the forcing cone area still seems pretty high for just 15 rds thru a smoother forcing cone than what it was. Maybe I can't really keep the leading from occurring due to the cone in general. I can deal with the leading, but not the accuracy grouping. I feel confident the front & rear sights are good and tight, and the tube ext is tight so the only thing I can think of is maybe the choke it doesn't like. I swapped from the pro bore LM early on that came with to a briley LM X2 as of late, so I may swap back to the pro bore LM and try improved cyl see if it's any difference in grouping . So far the $100 and time spent to polish the forcing cone didn't seem to gain me anything except looks prettier in the bore or maybe since I only got 75% of the roughness polished out, baaaahhh crap who knows, it's always something.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All, I have the VM 3-Gun Comp and the rail that came with mine is just a bit too tall to maintain use of the iron sights when the optic is off. Does anyone know of a rail manufacturer that has a low enough profile to not obstruct the view of the rear sight? Thanks in advance!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, M8Stealth. I haven't shot it with the rail on to see where the U-Channel needs to be in relation to the front F/O site but i guess I'll find out. Have you had a chance to shoot slugs with the rail on and no optic?

• 1 month later...

Here are a few pics that show the 2nd round tweeks & finished load port area, foregrip, stippling, sights. I shot slugs at 100 yds the other day after putting the extended rem pro bore choke imp cyl instead of the briley X2, LM choke and the grouping seems a little better with rio low recoil slugs and 4 outa first 5 slugs were about 4 inch group and slug shots 5 & 6 made the group 6-7 inch total off a bench rest. I don't have any other chokes to try. I made sure the choke & load tube nut were tight down on the foregrip to.

I see a slight advantage in tapering down the sides and bottom of the front foregrip if for nothing else the removal of sharp contours for you fingers and palm to glide over for load 2 & quads. I would also move the front loading port forward to almost the steel load tube. The stippling with larger round soldering bit looks ok & is very functional on the front & rear grips including the rubber sticker sections, but if you have the time & patience, the skinny pointed tip solder iron stipple job looks & feels much better and feels like skateboard tape, only not as abrasive. I stippled the orig but I have a spare foregrip I ordered from Rem was for the "sportsman" versa and has no rubber on it. You can compare the small pointed solder tip stipple job on my mossb to see which one you like better. I sent in my Pikes Peak Shotgun 2015 entry last week so hopefully I'll have a working shotgun to make my first major shotgun match redo not such a heart breaker.

post-23762-0-18616000-1422203233_thumb.j

post-23762-0-32268800-1422203279_thumb.j

post-23762-0-92040300-1422203572_thumb.j

post-23762-0-89893300-1422203665_thumb.j

post-23762-0-12701800-1422203769_thumb.j

post-23762-0-24063000-1422203921_thumb.j

post-23762-0-55817900-1422205233_thumb.j

Edited by AirForce2

• 2 weeks later...

I own a versamax and as pointed on this thread it is a beast lo load. I bought this thing after all the sale hype about being competition ready... But in reality the work that needs to be done on it is not by far much different than the work you would have to do on less expensive competition shotguns. Anyways I own it and I am hurting. I heard the name triangle and I am not sure who they are or how to contact them. Any website or contact info would be helpful, if they are still doing this work.

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Like others I bought a Vmax Comp "hoping" it was match ready. I'm not disappointed and knew from other experiences with match ready guns it would probably be close but not match ready for serious competitors. Anyway I'm going through the gun and everything is going well but I have a question. Can some explain the shell catch mod in a little more detail?

I have watched a few videos on YouTube about it but no one is really explaining to well........or at least well enough for me to understand......lol

The mod I did was to take a half round needle file and file an arch in the latch where there is a crease where the part is stamped out. I then took a shell and wrapped some 400 grit wet dry sand paper to it and smoothed it out then polished it. The objective is to make the latch deflect as little as possible. I then took a round needle file and filed the little "u" notches deeper. And then I put it in a vise and bent it slightly back.

b8380f2773863bb7cdecbd6f0a15a41d.jpg

Thanks Iowa shooter. I knew basically what everyone was trying to accomplish by looking at it but you can get there many different ways....ie bending, how you cut the steel, the angles of the cut, etc.

I like the way you contoured the cut to match the shell........I didn't think of that. That was a BIG help and so were the pics.

• 4 weeks later...

I had recently swapped to my other trigger group on my versa comp since I had 2 trigger assy's both with extended lifters and wanted to ensure they both worked. Well even though both lifter extensions were done by the same place, there must be a slight diff either between the lifter mods or the trigger groups because one of them seems to have occasional issue of a shell goes back onto the lifter, but doesn't get lifted up feed during live fire. Not sure exactly why so swapped back to the orig. I had 3 of these in just 50-70 rds of same usual ammo and one of them was when a fellow 3 gun shotgun guy used it. :(

I had recently swapped to my other trigger group on my versa comp since I had 2 trigger assy's both with extended lifters and wanted to ensure they both worked. Well even though both lifter extensions were done by the same place, there must be a slight diff either between the lifter mods or the trigger groups because one of them seems to have occasional issue of a shell goes back onto the lifter, but doesn't get lifted up feed during live fire. Not sure exactly why so swapped back to the orig. I had 3 of these in just 50-70 rds of same usual ammo and one of them was when a fellow 3 gun shotgun guy used it. :(

Did you ever remove the smaller inner spring from behind the shell latch? I had the type of malfunction and that fixed the issue.

Don't remove the inner spring. It will make loading the shells harder to do.

:unsure:

Movement of the Feed Latch (shell latch) is limited by the Feed Latch Release at the rear and by its own flex tension at the front (where the shell rim stops coming in/out of the mag tube). The 1 or 2 springs behind the latch do not affect loading the mag tube at all.

Movement of the Feed Latch (shell latch) is limited by the Feed Latch Release at the rear and by its own flex tension at the front (where the shell rim stops coming in/out of the mag tube). The 1 or 2 springs behind the latch do not affect loading the mag tube at all.

I understand. ;)

I understand. ;)

I knew you (of all people) would! (I was agreeing with you)

Edited by GunCat

Removing the small inner springs makes loading the shells harder. Shell Latch is aided by that smaller spring. But this is easy to test.. Take it out, put it back together and report back. If it is not harder to get passed it... then my Versamax competition tactical is unique in that respect.

There was another thread here on Enos, where it was advised against it. I wanted to test for myself and I did. They were right in my case.

Also by your own admission you have two trigger groups. One works flawlessly and the other does not. Wouldn't it stand to logic that there is something wrong with the one trigger group unrelated to the latch inner spring... just saying.

Edited by crotchThrower

btw,,, I opened up the half moon cuts in my shell latch and bent it backwards. Kept both springs in. I also opened up the loading port even more and now my versamax is a dream to quad load in a hurry.

thank you all for the info provided here.

Edited by crotchThrower

My trigger groups have nothing to do with the 2 shell latch/shell stop springs and are unchanged if that mislead anyone. I swapped between the entire trigger housing assy, each one has it's own lifter. The shell stop & springs did not change. Likely culprit should not change out a like item that was working and blame it on a totally different part that I didn't swap out. Possible, yes. Probable, no. But weirder things have happened.