Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Versamax Competition Tactical 3-gun Review

AirForce2

I use Briley chokes in my versamax and I tighten my chokes before every stage. They get a little loose after each run. Maybe something to do with differential thermal expansion rates between the barrel and the tube?

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all, thanks for everyone posting their thoughts, praise and grief regarding the VersaMax Competition. I just created my account today in order to message dhill directly on here. I'm currently finishing up a deployment (hopefully my last) and new to 3 gun. After reading all the grief about the lifter being too short, loading port being too tight, etc, it made my head hurt to think about getting home in a couple weeks and having to send my "3 gun ready" shotgun away as soon as I got my hands on it. Anyhow, I messaged Derek for a quote this morning, got a reply a little bit ago and emailed my buddy/co-worker/FFL, who has my NIB VersaMax, about getting it down to Triangle Shooting Sports prior to my return to the land of the free.

I'm excited to join the club. Unless I shoot this sucker at a steel challenge event, it will make its first competition appearance at Tarheel 3 Gun's August match near Raleigh/Durham NC. Hopefully I get some decent practice in before then.

Edited by KaboomerBrewer

I need to correct a previous post where I mentioned Triangle shooting's product "the shiny replacement benneli lifter would be to short for the versa comp model" was actually pictured on Taran Tactical website page. sorry Mr Hill.

I installed the C-Rums lifter and painted the big scar on the trigger guard from the grinder. I have to hit the shell stop assy on the top half one more time to get the load 2/4 a little less grippy. I still have to send my other spare lifter off to get extended. Hope to handle the gun more instead of working on it this next week or 2.

post-23762-0-27694200-1404091862_thumb.j

post-23762-0-42274000-1404091869_thumb.j

There are possible changes in cycling once you have the lifter extended. I noticed mine seems to throw the shell much higher during hand cycling now, hence the reason you notice there may be a slight curve starting at the extension point toward the end. You may need to either create a small curve in the middle of the last 1/1 to 3/4 inch or even slight bending up or down of the last 1/2 to 3/4 inch, or slight take down or sanding of the left or right inside fork at the last 1/2 to 1 inch inside front side edges. which area is determined by, is the shell throwing to far left/right, up/down (likely throwing to high/high angle or nose dive), or now hitting the extractor cut edge.

I was looking forward to buying this REM, despite the ugly green, because it sounded so promising. You folks have caused me to reconsider. Thanks for the detailed analysis.

My intent of this forum is not to deter anyone from buying the versa comp model. I am somewhat happy with the decision to buy this gun. I am a picky person when it comes to paying for an item when I know what the design "should" do and the to me at times "quite obvious" flaws and oversights or pure lack of design and testing is a pet peeve of mine. Like many would agree, there are many custom pistols, rifles, and shotguns that will have some issues and some that will not. Many people buy gun x and have no issues and others buy them and they have problems. In general the custom shops tend to pay closer attention to detail should have better outputs w/less problems than the manufacturer.

I've posted reviews on guns before and mentioned the gun jammed a few times and some people see that and instantly think "I'm not buying that jamomatic" or feel the need to post "I've shot every kind of ammo thru mine and runs flawless" as if because their is good, they all must be good. Different people doing the work, calibrated equipment, forming issues, curing, etc can lead to strings of guns that will work great and have issues (factory or custom). It's like some people who stated they had "jams/malfunctions" because the stock wasn't fitted to them, I disagree. I personally shoot all my guns to make sure they do not barf if I shoot weak hand, from the hip, or my wife might shoot it. What I try to do is ensure the gun design and functionality & ammo are good and analyze any changes or ammo and "why" the changes could cause and issue. Now if these posts steer you to buy a benneli, ok, but if this post makes you buy a rem tactical instead, realize that the tactical also needs some things to make it great and is not a huge price difference from the price of a competition model once you add some of the few extras that comp model has ie...one piece tube, rear sight. The lifter part being correct would have been nice, different comb inserts, adj stock LOP good for long arms. The one item that matter above all else for me is reliability. Functional setup for my personal tastes, second and if easily done by people with basic tools is an unfortunate part of the game. Both would great but tough to meet everyones fit, taste, and builds. Although if may seem I'm against the versa comp, I'm not "yet". Time will tell. It did run out of the box and that is a key positive compared to my last shotgun. The "nicety" items to make it shoot better, faster, or smoother I choose do on my own to save money is good if you feel you can.

My inputs for now on the versa comp will hopefully keep some from being as disappointed if they do buy this gun without this info, or help some people to go forth and buy this gun because they have a leg up on how to tackle some of the problem areas and feel it's tolerable, Nothing more.

This^

While Remington tried to market the VMax Comp as a race ready "out of the box" we all know that there is no such thing.

As it stands buying a vmax tactical and making the mods puts you within a few dollars of the Comp model. Benelli guys are buying a similarly priced shotguns and still sending them off to "work out the bugs."

The simple facts are that the Vmax Comp is a fantastic shotgun... yes it still needs a few things, but for less than $300 you can have the Hills or another shop tune it and have a real race ready boomstick.

If you are unsure, you need to shoot a few and make a decision. I brought mine out to a local match recently (bone stock) and after the match a bunch of guys shot it side by side the new 1301 and a MK3000. Every guy walked away saying that having shot the Comp, that is what they would spend their money on. To say that the Vmax is a soft shooter is and understatement. For me this means crazy fast splits, I can almost outrun the bolt on a texas star. It also shoots slugs better than any shotgun I have ever had, I was one of only a handful of guys that spun our slug spinner at 65 yards at our last match... I did it in 4 shots offhand.

In closing, do I wish Remington had done a little more to the gun, yes. Do I regret my purchase, absolutely not.

Edited by mulrick

I headed to the range yesterday for first time since installing the C-Rums extended lifter. I tried to install a newly ordered light mod, extended, stainless color, briley choke (oredered direct from Briley) into the barrel and go figure, it wouldn't screw in. I tried going backwards until it clicked then screwed it in and at best could get it to screw in, but was way to tight after only 3 full turns as far as finger tightening. I figure no use in forcing it and would have required a lot of tourque to install an stopped. After many attempts, I had to put in the remington black, extd pro bore, LM choke back in.

Called Briley and Remington and Briley said their chokes are pretty tight tolerance and sometimes remington's barrels are off and remy will tweek their barrels to make chokes fit. Remington said "that's funny, since Briley makes the remington model black ext pro bore chokes for us that came w/your gun". Briley is sending me a new choke. I hope it was just a bad cut. The Briley ext version says "pro bore" on the side of it, but it did seeam a little more snug sliding in before the threads start. Briley is sending me another one to try. Jeeeez

The gun ran appx 70 more rds reliably and the load 2's and load 4's and singles feeding was good. I'm also going to order a new forend (w/o the rubber tape) from remy so I can stipple it. I believe it's the sportsman model forend that doesn't have the rubber sticker grips.

I did have to tighten the 2 shot ext tube joint coupler nut (the remington +2 carbon extension) every 20-30 rds but not real loose or a big concern. I haven't put on the carbon arms +2 yet, wanted to see if the carbon starts to pit on the remy version and taste it on my fingers since carbon is so good for you.

No big deal but for sights, If you plan on replacing the rear sight with a tru glo or hi viz and keeping the front that comes with the versa comp, make sure it's a version that can mount low or you'll be shooting high unless you have the rear sight down pretty low or replace the front sight with a taller version. I really like the smallness of the tru glo rear adj that I used on my mossberg jm pro, but the front sight that comes on the versa comp tact has the screw underneath the fiber optic, so to remove it or tighten it, seems I'd destroy the F/O and I don't have a spare F/O for the front sight that came w/the versa comp tac.

Hi vis should have made all their mounting parts metal in my opinion. The plastic, thin primary cage that mounts over the rib is fairly close in width and fit but then with multiple metal caps on top & bottom of that are ok but they sandwich around the plastic instead of metal which makes the systems weak point IMO and if top side takes a good hit upon dumping could shift the left/right sight in. The primary left/right adjustment is the long piece that's held by 2 of the rear screws which must be loosened and then tightened down. I put the Hi Viz rear on to try and I don't like looking thru the vertical frame slots on the sides of the rear sight. These are also the same slots on either side the act as the elev adj and slide back and forth under the middle portion of the sight (kinda like wings sticking straight up.

Tru glo version rear has a fairly small rear sight compared to the hi vis and adj left/right by loosening a tiny allen screw and shifting the rear sight portion only left/right in the sight base and has one screw to adj up/down that sticks thru the rear half of the sight assy and the screw moves against the rib moving the rear sight half up/down and is all metal with front metal plates that sandwich around top/bottom of rib which is nice and has less parts and all metal, but the plates that fit around top/bottom of rib are not specific (seems general purpose sized to fit wider & not so wide ribs) around rib and could allow impact to shift the whole side side to side (but would require a decent hit on side of sight). I really like the taller front dual color fiber front sight with the adj rear. The item that could be better is the small allen head screws which once you put much pressure on the hex key, your gonna round off one or the other with to much pressure. Would rather just have slotted screws like on the hi viz.

Edited by AirForce2

No big deal but for sights, If you plan on replacing the rear sight with a tru glo or hi viz and keeping the front that comes with the versa comp, make sure it's a version that can mount low or you'll be shooting high unless you have the rear sight down pretty low or replace the rear with a taller version. I really like the smallness of the tru glo rear adj that I used on my mossberg jm pro, but the front sight that comes on the versa comp tact has the screw underneath the fiber optic, so to remove it or tighten it, seems I'd destroy the F/O and I don't have a spare F/O for the front sight that came w/the versa comp tac.

In the Box of stuff that Came with your comp, there should have been a little package that includes a little tab that you stick under the F/O tube. This allows you to remove it... it also should have come with a spare white tube as well as a red tub (if the green was installed, or vice versa if the red was one there.)

Check the box, its a tiny little bag... as you know the box is a nightmare, so call Remington if your's didn't come with this stuff, they are pretty good about getting replacement parts out. Mine was missing the 2 shot extension, after a call, I had mine within the week.

Tuning by removal of material is pretty easy, and if you can shoot 3Gun, you can tune the shell latch with hand tools. The part I am the most disappointed with is the lifter. While it is one part I really pushed Remington to add to the comp, I never saw it until it was in production. If that part was right, the rest I think would be manageable by most shooters with a little bit of patience at home.

No big deal but for sights, If you plan on replacing the rear sight with a tru glo or hi viz and keeping the front that comes with the versa comp, make sure it's a version that can mount low or you'll be shooting high unless you have the rear sight down pretty low or replace the rear with a taller version. I really like the smallness of the tru glo rear adj that I used on my mossberg jm pro, but the front sight that comes on the versa comp tact has the screw underneath the fiber optic, so to remove it or tighten it, seems I'd destroy the F/O and I don't have a spare F/O for the front sight that came w/the versa comp tac.

In the Box of stuff that Came with your comp, there should have been a little package that includes a little tab that you stick under the F/O tube. This allows you to remove it... it also should have come with a spare white tube as well as a red tub (if the green was installed, or vice versa if the red was one there.)

Check the box, its a tiny little bag... as you know the box is a nightmare, so call Remington if your's didn't come with this stuff, they are pretty good about getting replacement parts out. Mine was missing the 2 shot extension, after a call, I had mine within the week.

Thanks, I'll check my bag of goodies and see if the extra FO is in there. Are you saying the FO is reusable? I was under impression you had to push it (FO) out of the holder and this would make it to short to use again. Maybe I should have read the directions? I just see a screw under the front section of FO that holds front sight to rib. Does the tab break the FO or just go around it to get to the screw?

Tuning by removal of material is pretty easy, and if you can shoot 3Gun, you can tune the shell latch with hand tools. The part I am the most disappointed with is the lifter. While it is one part I really pushed Remington to add to the comp, I never saw it until it was in production. If that part was right, the rest I think would be manageable by most shooters with a little bit of patience at home.

Might be a good idea for 1st timers (me) to check the front edge for straightness first then do a little and then install the shell catch into the gun and insert a shell into a funtional tube w/spring and make sure it's level.

Mine was a little canted according to the shell in the tube and bottom half of the shell catch was further into the tube area than the top half ie..with gun upside down, the shell stop seemed to stick out more at the lifter that the top of the receiver and I almost took to much off the top half. It looked like I took off even amounts when it was out of the gun, so maybe installed it's bent/canted a little and was causing some of the extra stiffness in the beginning. I think I could also have checked it for straigtness before starting and it looks like if I need to could tweek it by slight twisting of the front section.

Now that I think about it, the shell stop didn't seem to be canted early on and may just seem it's the shell stop but could be due to the smoothing of the inner corners and juction of the shell tube/receiver junction humps I did as well. I need to look closer, but eithe way look for this before & after you start the shell catch or deburring of the tube/receiver section. I certainly hope it was not from trying to unload the live shells by pushing in on the shell catch.

Edited by AirForce2

Wow, very interesting reading. Let me begin with this statement. I have never bought anything that was made my man in a automated manufacturing plant that came out perfect. Even STI has their flaws. This does not make it a bad gun.

Some of you talk about being picky, yes I also understand that issue. With me I spend a considerable amount of money on my handguns, rifles, and shotguns. Yes a lot. I own my self a Versa Max shotgun. Mine is a year old does not puke and green receiver (thank god) and run pretty well out of the box. Now that said mine "was not" the new green comp model but was the tactical gun.

Having had a Benelli M2 before this gun, I knew already the VM was going to need some one on one professional smithing to satisfy my picky wild side. Ok so now what. I was one of the first guys to buy a Carmon arms set up from Mark as soon as he could ship. I ask Mark to ship mine straight to Benny Hill, Triangle Shooting here in Texas. He is an old fart, but let me tell you, when I got my gun back from Benny I had a quality racing machine. From the first shot to the last round shot last Saturday I can load 2 or 4 and have no problems with the loading port. Its just as smooth or maybe a little better the the M2. As far as dependability goes, I can not even spell malllfunctionn. Any of my shooting buddies can attest to that. Oh, and my slugs shoot dead on at 100 yards. Benny used a tree on the barrel.

So, if you have a VM and its not running to your expectations, the simple and most productive thing you can do is send it to Benny. MONEY ! yes, its going to cost a little, but what high speed quality competition reliable gun does not.

I do not rag other peoples gun's but I have two friends who shoot the J&M Pro. Their words, not mine. POS, PITA, NWAF and I could go on. Spare you, but the guns have been back to Mfg two or three times. Still POS

Chokes, I can only state this. I only use Briley Chokes. I have used Jess's product for 15 years, and its pure quality. They are made right to start with. Check around, Briley is the mandacture of most of the chokes made for the gun companies. Yes even Remington Chokes. They are made by Jess Briley. They are to the customer specs, but Jess knows chokes.

Ok, your lucky. My RANT is now done. I only hope you can find a shotgun you like and that you shoot it well. The above statement are solely mine, and only worth the price you paid for them.

Be Safe, shoot well

:cheers:

Thanks, I'll check my bag of goodies and see if the extra FO is in there. Are you saying the FO is reusable? I was under impression you had to push it (FO) out of the holder and this would make it to short to use again. Maybe I should have read the directions? I just see a screw under the front section of FO that holds front sight to rib. Does the tab break the FO or just go around it to get to the screw?

Nope, using the little removal tool in the box allows you to remove and replace. Instructions were included in the box. I don't remember if it was this gun, but the F/O tube was a little tight. The removal tool slips under the F/O tube to depress the little metal retainer clip that keeps the tube from backing out. It takes a little pull to get it out, but it will. Mine came installed with the green tube, but I like the way the red lights up with my ignitor (rose) shooting glasses so I switched mine.

Wow, very interesting reading. Let me begin with this statement. I have never bought anything that was made my man in a automated manufacturing plant that came out perfect. Even STI has their flaws. This does not make it a bad gun.

Some of you talk about being picky, yes I also understand that issue. With me I spend a considerable amount of money on my handguns, rifles, and shotguns. Yes a lot. I own my self a Versa Max shotgun. Mine is a year old does not puke and green receiver (thank god) and run pretty well out of the box. Now that said mine "was not" the new green comp model but was the tactical gun.

Having had a Benelli M2 before this gun, I knew already the VM was going to need some one on one professional smithing to satisfy my picky wild side. Ok so now what. I was one of the first guys to buy a Carmon arms set up from Mark as soon as he could ship. I ask Mark to ship mine straight to Benny Hill, Triangle Shooting here in Texas. He is an old fart, but let me tell you, when I got my gun back from Benny I had a quality racing machine. From the first shot to the last round shot last Saturday I can load 2 or 4 and have no problems with the loading port. Its just as smooth or maybe a little better the the M2. As far as dependability goes, I can not even spell malllfunctionn. Any of my shooting buddies can attest to that. Oh, and my slugs shoot dead on at 100 yards. Benny used a tree on the barrel.

So, if you have a VM and its not running to your expectations, the simple and most productive thing you can do is send it to Benny. MONEY ! yes, its going to cost a little, but what high speed quality competition reliable gun does not.

I do not rag other peoples gun's but I have two friends who shoot the J&M Pro. Their words, not mine. POS, PITA, NWAF and I could go on. Spare you, but the guns have been back to Mfg two or three times. Still POS

Chokes, I can only state this. I only use Briley Chokes. I have used Jess's product for 15 years, and its pure quality. They are made right to start with. Check around, Briley is the mandacture of most of the chokes made for the gun companies. Yes even Remington Chokes. They are made by Jess Briley. They are to the customer specs, but Jess knows chokes.

Ok, your lucky. My RANT is now done. I only hope you can find a shotgun you like and that you shoot it well. The above statement are solely mine, and only worth the price you paid for them.

Be Safe, shoot well

While I agree with some of the statements and I've stated that I'm not saying this is a bad gun to purchase. What I disagree with is the "Versamax Competition Tactical" versus the regular versa tactical or any other shotgun is, the competition tactical model was advertised as a "lifter developed for 3-gun/quicker reloading versus other previous lifter designs". There is no excuse for a 3-gunner or just a skeet shooter or bird hunter that qualifies the lifter on this gun to be made this way except that remington was to stupid or to lazy to design a lifter for the intended purpose they advertised. The other issue I have is some remington versa folks "knew" last summer from reviews of gun magazines types and gun testers online "whom remington likely" asked them to review the gun and the reviewers stated they told remington the lifter was to short and appears remington folks told some reviewers per online reviews they planed to fix it before production hits general public. It wouldn't put it past them that they in fact built a longer version later and either made it to straight when lengthened and it cause feed issues, or didn't want to spend the time/money to make it right, or some business proposition thought people & businesses could buy them from remington and they make money by shops modifying them or screwing them up, hence resale. Whatever the reason, the advertised lifter is not what they said it would be.

Second item is the shell stop/shell catch thing: If I wasn't trying to do 3-gun, I'd still be upset with the excessive pressure and scraping brass off the case & poor reloading a shell into the tube issue. Maybe mine was worse than some, but I've seen to many compaints of this scattered all over the place with at least the versa tactical and still the competition tactical. There is no excuse for such a rough cut item that makes a shell require as much pressure to insert a shell into the tube. I've only shot 1 or 2 other shotguns in 20 years prior (shot someone elses) and never had that issue before. Nor did my JM Pro feel near this tough to load a shell (My JM had many other major issues though).

With only a few months time & overall shotgun experience, if I worked or was in charge of and had the ability to influence or make either the JM Pro or Versamax, I would make many of the gun items better for a wider audience and for sure the lifter & shell catch, foreend contour & grips, stock would have extension ability from 13-16 LOP instead of 14.5 to 15/16 inch LOP, load port as in my pics, but that's me. Instead it's left up to guys that know shotguns and work designing & building guns, yet can't or won't do it right.

If you work on/make/test guns all day, someone in that dept should notice and say hey (this is not to good) and could be fixed or reduce the issue somewhat already instead of slow leaking it along or never fixing it. Two of these items were not a "picky" items on my gun, they sucked. Team shell catch with the lifter and I don't care if you do 3 gun or not it was noticable not right to load shells slow one at a time. Be like if Firestone always sold you their best set of tires and 1 out of 4 tires, you buy em and find one is always oval. No prob will just grind em down and hope I don't go to far.

Good Evening ! Thanks for taking time to give your spin on the issue. Maybe I mislead you, I have shot Remington, Winchester, Krieghoff. Perazzi all of which had the good, the bad, and the ugly. Your feeling about how remington handled the Versa Max is is mostly well founded. Still they are a mass produced firearm and ruled by the bottom line. Good excuse, HELL NO !

The reason I bought the regular tactical Versa was I wanted Benny Hill to work it over. Why pay remington to "maybe" do the things that would make their product a stellar one. Benny did and continues to do so. Many people do not know this but Benelli sends their guns from the factory to be made into the Benelli Three Gun Model. Ig you reasearch you will find Benny Hill and Mark at Carmon Arms did quite a bit of input on the Versa Comp line.

Not always does the student listen to the teacher.

Like you, all I want is to get what I paid for. Be that a factory promise or one from Benny. BOTTOM LINE Benny delivers.

Thanks

Ken

Just got mine back from Accurate Iron. I've only had time to practice loading. However, the "secret squirrel $#|+" Mike did makes quad loading much easier. I'm excited to get it to the range. The boss even gives her nod of approval!uju8e4a3.jpg

I'm thinking Mike may have found the magic trick to get the forearm out of the way on these things. More to come after a few boxes of shells.

Edited by Kevin G.

Its true that we do all the work on the M2 3 Gun model but we didn't have any input on the Versamax other than building 2 for Remington a couple years ago. All these little quirks with the Versamax is all on Remington.

Dam, Benny I thought you done it. Sure glad you built mine. So see me on here with a Rant about the VM or your build. Mine had run 100% first day out of the box from you. I see why Benelli puts their Rep on the line with your work.

Was it FRAM oil filters that once said. " You can pay me now or pay me later" boy is that a true one.

I have what appears to be a Rem QC issue with my new 3gun VM. One of the cylinders that houses the pistons on the gas block appears to have machined improperly and will not let the piston move within the cylinder. Naturally in my one and only range trip before discovering this, the gun wouldn't cycle to save it's life. I sent it back to Remington for repair so we'll see. I guess I've been lucky but this was my first time ever having an issue with a gun out of the box.

I received the new fore end without the rubber stickers but wanted to see how stippling would do on the orig forend. I used a larger tip this time and I like the small pointed tip better, but by the time I was finished stippling my Mossberg jm pro with the pointed tip, I wanted to stick the solder iron in my brain because it was so boring and tedious, the fine point tip took me 3 hours and the flat round larger tip, maybe 1 hr. The rubber stickers actually can be stippled lightly (as soon as smoke shows, rubber is stippled) and I like the grip of it better than the factory smoothish rubber grip. Used a soft sanding sponge/block and then some 2000 grip to clean off the rought edges on the stippling. I'm pretty much all done. Gun is functioning well and now can concentrate on practice, well I'm not going to practice that much. I can now enjoy shooting instead of troubleshooting.

Note: Benny has mentioned the double spring in the shell catch/stop and removing the smaller diameter inner one to improve cycling/feeding. I see what he's talking about now. There is a lot of pressure from the shell catch as it tilts & as the shell cycles out of the tube to go back on the lifter and if you either cut the shell loading tube spring to short, to weak or use real light loads and your gun starts to feel "slow" or the shell doesn't quite come all the way out the tube, this may be the "extra drag" on the shell. I haven't had any issues yet during live fire and only notice this during slower hand cycling. The shell catch seems pretty smooth on the sides so I don't think that's the issue. Kinda lame that you have to use 2 springs as the design and they couldn't find a single spring to use, but maybe in this case it give us the ability to tweek it versus hunting down a new spring.

post-23762-0-21932400-1406179250_thumb.j

post-23762-0-93551000-1406179267_thumb.j

post-23762-0-75184000-1406179283_thumb.j

post-23762-0-34380000-1406179290_thumb.j

post-23762-0-57848700-1406179302_thumb.j

Edited by AirForce2

Just wanted to add my thoughts after a little hands on time with my Versa Max Competition.

I'll caveat the following by reiterating that I've never shot 3 gun, nor have I handled/owned a semi auto shotgun prior to last week.

I haven't had a whole lot of time to check this thing out, let alone shoot it, since I've been back from overseas, but I did find a couple hours to finish assemble my belt and it's "trinkets" this morning. I attempted my first "load 2" this morning and decided to shoot a video of my 4th attempt in order to go back and time it. I was at 8 seconds for 8 shells, sight picture to sight picture, on my 4th attempt. I'm sure my technique is questionable and my thumbs may be extraordinarily chubby, but I didn't pinch my thumb or have any issues loading the shells. I've made zero alterations to the gun at this point.

Again, I have nothing to compare this thing do since it's not a breaching shotgun, M4 or G19, but so far, I couldn't be happier with it. I had mentioned in a previous post that I was going to send it to Triangle Shooting Sports, and I still may, but my FFL held on to it because of some weather that was moving through Texas. When I heard about that, I asked him to just keep it so I could play around with it as soon as I got home. I may shoot it at a steel match this Sunday, and if I do, I'll come back here and post my thoughts again.

I'm planning on actually shooting it for the first time tomorrow at a local range in order to get an idea where slugs are hitting and zero a couple other guns.

For those that are experiencing loose extended choke tubes on their shotguns, there is a simple solution. Add a little grease to the choke tube threads. This will keep them in place.

Recoil on shotguns will shake everything loose. With an extended choke tube, you have all manner of vibrations impacting the extended portion of the choke where it mates with the end of the barrel. Those stresses are what causes the choke tube to loosen up.

Adding the grease helps fill up the threads and dampen the forces in that area.

Mick

Adding the grease helps fill up the threads and dampen the forces in that area.

Or even some anti-seize. I keep a stick of anti-seize in the range bag, kind of like a chap stick or glue stick. Works great. Will also keep them from corroding.