Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

POV Camera

jstagn

I see some shooters wearing these cameras during a match, some mounted on ear muffs, some on bill of hat. Seems the bill of hat would be more consistent view. What are the latest brands that you would recommend for the amateur USPSA shooter ? Thanks..

I agree for training/development purposes you need someone filming your whole body etc. But POV was still very useful to me.

I use a sony action cam mounted on my ear pro (peltor tactical sports). Very nice set-up, very light and gives great quality video. can do up to 120 frames per second, but to keep files small (and since they are only for my viewing) i usually set it down to 720P 30fps which still gives great quality.

I really like the set-up as it's very light, very sturdy and give great video. I also like being able to control the camera and see what it sees via my iphone.

I agree that for performance improvement it's more useful to see third person perspectives but given other recent events I imagine that the POV cameras will become even more common. Reminds me of the Russian dashboard cameras that all of the citizens drive around with for protection against corruption.

One nice thing about the POV in you don't have to find anybody else to run it. That is always a challenge for me at matches.

I agree that for performance improvement it's more useful to see third person perspectives but given other recent events I imagine that the POV cameras will become even more common. Reminds me of the Russian dashboard cameras that all of the citizens drive around with for protection against corruption.

One nice thing about the POV in you don't have to find anybody else to run it. That is always a challenge for me at matches.

Dead on.

I don't like asking others to film me at matches, but will if they're a good friend. I'm also starting to bring my younger daughter along with me to matches. She enjoys filming me, enjoys shooting her M&P 15-22, and has shown an interest in trying out USPSA at some point. It's great Daddy-daughter time!!!

I use Contour. Its big, intuitive on/off switch is super easy to manipulate. I have yet to miss recording a stage, a common complaint with other shooters wearing other POV cams.

If I carpool'ed with my buddy, he take a vid of me. I do agree its more informative than POV cams.

Pivotheads are the best IMO since the camera is built in to a pair of sun glasses which you'll be wearing anyway ... No extra 'thing' to have to wear .... For what it's worth the camera is located right between the lenses above the nose bridge so you get a straight on aspect view of what your eyes are looking at vs mounting the camera on top of your hat or off to the side on your ear muffs ...

Ive tried several and finally chose the Contour Roam. One finger "on/off". Unfortunately, they are no longer in business but you can still find them online for sale. GoPro is also awesome but bigger.

I would not invest too much in a POV only cam... or a non POV cam. I have the Gopro and it's PERFECT. Here's why; I had some Sony camera (older standard style) and found it was difficult for people to run when handing it off to someone. I got a Gopro, and while the POV shots are kind of cool to post on FB or whatever, after a few you are done and now the non POV shots are where the value is.

I also get tired of asking people to video me and I see HUGE benefit from videoing almost every run. I find the Gopro PERFECT for this. It's wide enough that I can just place it somewhere to get a decent view and capture the entire run. Sometimes that's on a chair, sometimes a pole (I use a wagon so a pole mounted to it works great), sometimes downrange on a prop or target stand.

I put it where I'm not likely to get some dudes butt, and it will just record the entire run. On the occasion that I ask someone to video me, it's still perfect. Since they can't see what they are doing they don't get fancy... just point the lens at me and hit the button. I get me running and can see my entire body to watch for form, mistakes, and speed. I have mine mounted on a powerful magnet and can always find steel to attach it to. When I can't, I have a metal squeeze clamp that will attach to something and then the magnet sticks to it. Simple, fast video all the time.

I am a vid guy so I like the quality of gopro and the frames per second so you can go back and slow it dow. the only turn off for the gopro is that it might be bulky or awkward when shoting. I also had those camera/glasses that has the camera on the bridge of your nose, it was a good idea but the quality was not there for me or there is a delay. just my 2cents

I use the Pivotheads. The disadvantages to them are when I'm shooting prone or sometimes around barricades. But that 2nd one is partly the shooters fault as I'm cross-eye dominant.

Other than that they are great. I didn't want something bulky and Since I don't use muffs, that mounting option was off the table. Plus, I wear a floppy brimmed hat and mounting there wasn't an option. The Pivotheads are great since I'm already wearing eye protection.

Edited by bigdawgbeav

• 2 weeks later...

I use a Sony Action Cam mounted to the left side of my hearing protection. It took a little bit to get used to, but once I was used to it, I forgot it was there. It has a wide angle view so I can watch my grip and trigger control as well as see down range.

After gathering all the input I went with a Midland mounted on top of my earmuffs, great 1080p plus image stabilization, if image stabilization is not important then go with a Modius mounted on the bill of your hat, very small and lite....