Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wife thinking about shooting USPSA

I don't want this to turn into a glock vs s&w vs xdm discussion. My wife has been watching me compete for the last few months and is interested in starting. I was thinking about production since it seems like the cheapest to get started. I'd love for her to shoot SS major with me so it wouldn't be another set of reloading stuff to buy, but she doesn't like my 1911. Whats the best gun/setup to get started. I tried search but didn't really find much. if someone has a link to a discussion that'd be awesome. Thanks in advance for the help.

ETA: Looking at G34 and XDM 5.25

Edited by copecowboy22

Glock, XD, M&P or anything that has a swappable back-strap.

The gun needs to fit her hand correctly and she needs to be able to reach all the controls without having to shift her grip. I would advise her to try as many different guns as possible, bearing in mind that if she has not shot before, she may have issues with flinching etc., so where the shots land on the target at the start is not that important.

Once she gets used to the noise and the recoil/muzzle-flip she'll find that her groups tighten up as long as the gun fits her correctly.

Let her decide. Take her to the gun shop and let her handle them. Then take her to a match ask some shooters to let her try their gun and see what she likes. Also throw a 1911 9mm into the mix.

The more one likes their gun the more one wants to shoot it!

I love Production but if my wife were to show interest in would start her in Limited or even Open. Ever Limited minor might be good to get her a feel for the game without having to worry at much about changing mags and planning for reloads.

I love Production but if my wife were to show interest in would start her in Limited or even Open. Ever Limited minor might be good to get her a feel for the game without having to worry at much about changing mags and planning for reloads.

Agreed. Let her handle the models you listed and pick one. Start in limited minor with full mags. Takes less gear to start. If she likes it great, if not any of the listed pistols can be easily sold. I think limited minor is the easiest and least expensive way to try USPSA. Edited by fishsticks

Agreed. Let her handle the models you listed and pick one. Start in limited minor with full mags. Takes less gear to start. If she likes it great, if not any of the listed pistols can be easily sold. I think limited minor is the easiest and least expensive way to try USPSA.

My wife is in a similar place. Can't make a decision on which pistol suits her the best. Until she does, she is shooting a M&P40 with which I had started to explore Limited (Apex parts and SSS magwell), several years back.

When she expressed some degree of comfort with this gun over any other centerfire pistol that I already had, I installed a SSS Slide Racker and 15# recoil spring to it, loaded a batch of .40 minor loads for it and set up an existing belt with suitable holster and pouches.

If she continues to express interest, I expect that she will notify me of her desire to obtain the best pistol for her.. Until such time, I will try to be patient and let her cogitate on what she wants to accomplish.

I never thought about Limited minor. I know the xdm mag hold 19 from the factory, are the others about the same?

Full sized Glock mags are 17 rounds stock.

Get a few 140mm extensions to go on the high caps. That should give you 22 or 23 rounds of 9mm for M&P, XD, or Glock 9mm. Taran Tactical extensions are popular. I also like the Dawson Precision ones.

Also she might want to look at the M&Ps which seem to be much more popular for USPSA right now. They don't have the grip safety so that's one let's thing to worry about.

Mistake number one is that you are looking for a gun to buy her. The best way to get her to start shooting and to enjoy it is to let her pick out a gun that SHE likes. I see way to many husbands go out and buy a gun they like and then they can't figure out why the wife looses interest. Woman perceive things differently then men and this includes how guns feel and react in their hands. What i would suggest is that you get her out to a few practice nights and encourage her to try everybody's gun (spring for a jug of beer afterwards) and she which ones she likes. do this over a few nights narrowing down her selection till she finds the gun SHE likes. That is the gun you want to buy her. Also if you have woman shooters in the club get her talking to them as well. Their advice is priceless if you want her to start shooting and to enjoy it.

We are going to a gun store this weekend so she can feel the different ones.

Two thoughts:

1. I'd never buy a new gun to "see if she likes the sport" - start with what you have

and see if she likes the sport - then consider a new gun purchase - but that's

just me. :sight:

2. The "feel" of a gun can be misleading - I shot a BHP for 20 years, and then bought

a 1911. I HATED the "feel" of the 1911 - much too blocky - couldn't really get my

hand around the gun. But, slowly I realized I shot much better with the 1911 than

with the BHP. Now the BHP "feels" too small for my hand. :ph34r:

BTW, you're a LUCKY man to have your wife getting into competitive shooting with you. :bow: :bow:

Limited minor is where my wife started. Whichever platform she chooses make sure there is aftermarket support for it. With 140mm mags we get 23 rounds. The mags are easier to handle and holster/mag pouch placement is much friendlier.

If she is comfortable shooting .40 out of your G23 then why not go straight into limited. Then you can load the same ammo for SS major and LIM major. Same reloading ammo. That is what quite a few of the local guys do. Granted you need a 1911 in .40 so if you don't have one already it's an excuse to buy a new gun. Win-Win all around.

I don't want this to turn into a glock vs s&w vs xdm discussion. My wife has been watching me compete for the last few months and is interested in starting. I was thinking about production since it seems like the cheapest to get started. I'd love for her to shoot SS major with me so it wouldn't be another set of reloading stuff to buy, but she doesn't like my 1911. Whats the best gun/setup to get started. I tried search but didn't really find much. if someone has a link to a discussion that'd be awesome. Thanks in advance for the help.

ETA: Looking at G34 and XDM 5.25

1st and Foremost that's awesome took me a awhile to get my wife into it.

My advice if you have a local gunshop that allows you to rent/test guns take here their start with 9mm see what SHE LIKES THIS IS KEY.

If she just wan't to have fun get her something she is COMFORTABLE with not you and don't worry about pressuring her to win/compete

The XD's are nice they come with dang near everything in the box except maybe 2 more mags. Glocks are great to just have to buy all the other stuff separate.

My fiancé tried every gun we could put in her hand for about 6 months. Visiting many different gun stores and shooting anyone's gun who would let her. She settled on a XD Subcompact. She wasn't looking to compete. Doesn't even want to come watch. She liked the full size XD grip and the compact size of the subcompact. The extended mags "sold" her on the subcompact.

All that to say I bet she may like the XDM.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Edited by packeagle

I sell firearms and most women end up choosing either the Glock 19 or M&P due to comfort & size. Best thing to do is have her go to your local shop and handle/fondle and choose from there