Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Everyone get ready to point and laugh

copecowboy22

I shot my first major this weekend. It was only my third match. I've heard the phrase about 2 types of shooters. (Some see where this is going and are already laughing). I was one of the guys that thought "I'll never do it, I've been around guns most of my life. I'll prove them wrong." Well get ready to laugh. I shoot single stack so moving and reloading are a neccesity. Last stage of the Double Tap Championship and I'm moving right to left after my first position. Drop mag, check. Insert new mag, STOP. I look down and my gun is about 5 degrees past 180. "everyone point and laugh now." So guess what I'll be practicing in the coming weeks?

I don't think we're going to point and laugh. We've all either seen it or done it or done something similar. While it's not true that everyone has been DQ'd, many people in our sport have.

Hopefully, they take it as the learning experience it's meant to be and do what you're doing--practice ways to keep it from happening again.

I've been DQ'd twice--once for dropping a loaded gun during a stage and once for breaking the 180. The 180 violation was my first, and I learned to be very wary of where the 180 is when I'm shooting the stage. The dropped gun was something I'm not sure I could have avoided very well--I was clearing a jam during summer and the gun was slick with my sweat and oil. It was a mistake, pure and simple. I've learned to work on clearing jams as safely as I can.

I try to never reload moving right to left unless I have no choice, way too easy to break the 180. I also know a 5-division Master who DQed at the Nationals for a 180 break .... It happens

Edited by Nimitz

It was stage 11. Shot through the port. Missed the steel enough to run it dry. More focused on making sure I drop the slide and 180 went to the back burner in my mind. The point and laugh was referring to my attitude that I'd never do it. I've replayed what I could've done different 1000 times or more already.

If you have to move the wrong way when you are going to reload you have to get it in your plan early and every time you walk it, visualize it etc you have to practice moving the gun downrange during the reload.

Another place to pay a lot of attention to is ports on or close to the 90 with targets that make you get into the port. I have seen way to many people go in, shoot, and leave before their gun clears the port. Gun hits port, shooter is moving downrange, gun breaks 180.

When I first walk up to a stage one of the things I am looking for is places that will get me in trouble. That needs to be in your mind when you do your stage plan.

My very first match, the very first shooter that I ever saw shoot a stage... Busted the 180 after his first 6 shots. And he did a full fledged pirouette! Seeing that right away really ingrained it into my head... And so far, so good!

I didn't choose the Glock life, the Glock life chose ME.

I almost did the same thing this past Tuesday. I did a reload that I would saw was about 165-170, but it was still too close for comfort and I got called out on it. Even though I didn't cross the 180, it still felt like I did and I won't come close to it from now on.

• 5 months later...

At the risk of stating the obvious... (clarification for new shooters) the perspective of many of these posts is that of Right Handed shooters (moving right to left likely will position the muzzle in a precarious position during reload - would be the reverse for Lefties) . The message to take away is; while walking (planning) your stages, concentrate not only on target engagement but how to best position yourself to safely and efficiently execute the course of fire. Some stages cause you to "break tradition" [reload while moving ect] or pump the brakes in trade for avoiding that DQ... Whether you're moving right to left or visa versa.

At the risk of stating the obvious... (clarification for new shooters) the perspective of many of these posts is that of Right Handed shooters (moving right to left likely will position the muzzle in a precarious position during reload - would be the reverse for Lefties) . The message to take away is; while walking (planning) your stages, concentrate not only on target engagement but how to best position yourself to safely and efficiently execute the course of fire. Some stages cause you to "break tradition" [reload while moving ect] or pump the brakes in trade for avoiding that DQ... Whether you're moving right to left or visa versa.

another message: practice reloading while moving in both directions in dryfire

another message: practice reloading while moving in both directions in dryfire

yep, just one more thing to practice. Sometimes a reload while moving right to left is neccesary. Damn left-handed stage designers getting back at us for all the right hand biased stages....