Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Coated Bullet?

I've been thinking about trying some coated bullets since my stash of MG's has run out. I would mostly use them for practice bullets. 124 9mm for Open, 147 9mm for 3gun and 180 .40 for limited.

I didn't realize there were so many different choices. BBI, Bayou, Blue Bullets, ibejiheads, SNS. Some are more expensive than others. Any Suggestions?

I have tried all of those you mentioned except for the BBI's, and they all are great products sold by great people. Never a problem ordering and have always had fast shipping. I'm currently using the ibejiheads, but you can realistically pick your favorite color, or if one company offers a profile or weight you prefer, go with it, you won't be disappointed.

They are all *pretty much* the same from what i've seen.

Pick your fav. color, and whomever you want to support.

I used Bayou Bullets for a long time, which were great, Now I am using IbejiHeads which work great also.

Ibejiheads are local to me so I decided to support them and give them a try.

I have used Bayou and SNS, both worked well. The next bullets I try will be the Blue Bullets. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the coated bullets, just pick the company that has the bullets you want and the best price and service.

I've only ever used ibeji. The owner, Alex, is great to work with. He supports a lot of matches and sponsors shooters. Ibeji is on the east coast which mean fast shipping to my house. I like to buy from vendors that support the shooting sports.

Precision bullets, BBI and Bayou bullets are all high quality bullets that you can not go wrong with. I use all three, the only difference I can tell on BBI and Bayou is the color of the bullet

I was shooting Bbi and moved to extremes as they are the same price. BBI get your hands dirtier while loading but now different shooting. I don't think you can wrong with either. Bbi is probably 50-60 fps faster but that is pretty typical for coated in my experience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was shooting Bbi and moved to extremes as they are the same price. BBI get your hands dirtier while loading

With the old coating perhaps? The new (Hi-Tek) coating BBI switched to shouldn't leave any residue on your hands.

Received within the last 45 days so I'm not sure when the coating changed, don't get me wrong it's nothing to write home, or cry about, and maybe it seems dirtier because it's black vs brownish copper oxidation residue, either way the hands get washed!!

Received within the last 45 days so I'm not sure when the coating changed, don't get me wrong it's nothing to write home, or cry about, and maybe it seems dirtier because it's black vs brownish copper oxidation residue, either way the hands get washed!!

That's odd. AFAIK, they switched long enough ago that you should have gotten the new coating. The difference is pretty obvious...so it shouldn't be hard to tell.

My guess is it's just the dust from rubbing against east other during shipping, like I said though it is nothing to even think about not using them. The coating definitely does rub off

Mostly Bayou. Have tried BBI and BlueBullets. When loading BlueBullets, you do get a blue residue on your fingers. They all shoot great though.

I've loaded about 500 of the 1200 blue bullets I bought at the SC sectional match and I've yet to have any leave a blue residue. Perhaps they've modified their process a little and that's no longer a problem.

I have shot SNS, Blue Bullets, Precision. Bayou, and BBI. All shoot very well and accurately. Presently I shoot the 180gr BBI in .40 S&W for uspsa and the Bayou 140gr for steel challenge. I tried 200 gr and 180gr in just about all of them, and could have used any of them, but I just really liked the load I have and the results with the BBI 180's. It was partly subjective, but also I seemed to always shoot a little more accurately with the BBI when I would set up various arrays to shoot. Just started shooting steel challenge recently and ordered in 140gr, 155gr, and 165gr in a wide variety of bullets. I just loved the 140's and their performance in developing a minor load for steel. Bottom line is you couldn't go wrong with any of them, but there are some differences which might lead you to like one over the other.

Blue bullet has the best packaging I've seen of any bullet company. Almost every order I get is open once it reaches me, and most don't look accidental. But the Blue Bullets showed up with the 3 boxes of bullets sandwiched between two pieces of cardboard, taped up, then put in the Priority shipping box and taped more. There was no way anyone was sneaking part of that open in hopes of stealing some live ammo.

On the other hand, Bayou bullets don't smurf your fingers if you don't have a case feeder, and the Bayou 125g profile works out MUCH better in my tight CZ75 barrel.

The only one I've tried that I didn't care for were the Precision "original black bullet" ones. Everything else seems like a question of price and which profile works out better in your gun.

I have used both Bayou and Blue Bullets and both shoot great, and the difference in velocity between the two only amounted to about 1pf and that could have been the difference in weather conditions on the days I shot them. I have Been buying Blue recently because they support a lot of matches in this area and they do have a good product.