Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

polishing STI/SVI mags?

DrLove

If you have a good size tumbler, throw the mag bodies in it overnight.

i did this and they came out shiny. but they did not remove the deeper scratches and nick. I think those can only be removed with sandpaper and polishing rougue

I should try that, it's easy enough...

Once the fine scratches the paper leaves are more pronounced than any surface imperfections it is time to switch. When it seems that the shine is stalling move to the finer grit paper as the shine dictates.

Edited by StraightUp_OG

• 2 weeks later...

It's not just for the STI guys ya know :)

8u6e5agu.jpg

You have inspired me to do this with my SR9 magazines. They are the same bodies, so in theory they should come out just as shiny! Did you tumble them or did you use sandpaper/polishing compound? I have one soaking in vinegar currently to remove the blueing and then was trying to decide whether to just throw them in the tumbler or get out some flitz....

• 3 weeks later...

WOW, guess I got another project to do. After a few years of shooting my Brazo's tuned mags they have tons of scratches and are starting to dull. Will try the flitz technique inside and out.

Purchased some ~1/8" pyramid-shaped ceramic media and filled my tumbler with about 20lbs of it. The mags come out with a dull finish, but they are perfectly prepped for a final polish with compound. It does a great job of removing the scratches that compound doesn't touch.

• 3 weeks later...