Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My first DQ last night.

Denny4

Impact guns here in Boise puts on a small indoor IDPA match once a month. On the last stage after load and make ready, I missed my holster and droped my weapon. No excuse! It was slow motion and I caught the weapon with my foot and it bounced a foot in front of us. XDM 5.25 9mm. I stayed and taped and brass.

At home I geared back up and found out the changes needed. I am so worried when I holster that I back my grip to release the grip safety and the weapon slipped out of my hand when I missed the holster. I have learned from this. Denny

I was asked to give a few pointers to a new shooter once regarding equipment, fit, etc. They had the holster adjusted very loose and basically dropped the gun when the muzzle went into the opening. Gun fell about 2" before going all the way in. I told them to tighten the holster and PUT the gun in the holster until they feel it seat. One of the worst gun handling habits I have ever seen.

I suggest you stop worrying about the grip safety and maintain a grip on the gun until it seats in your holster.

I received a stage DQ last fall at one of my first 3 gun shoots. I had a very mentally challenging stage that required not shooting specific colored targets based on a colored block picked up at the beep. I started with the rifle, cleared the targets and instead of putting the empty gun in the barrel, I went ahead and put it on the table where my shotgun was laying. As soon as I picked up the shotgun I knew what I did, and the RO called a cease fire. I should have put it in the barrel instead of the table as I was going downrange from the gun after dumping. Was a dumb mistake and I actually just came from a stage that required the dumping of the rifle on a table to pick up the shotgun. I felt like an idiot, but it clearly wasn't the first DQ the other shooters had seen. They told me there are two types of people, those who have been DQ'd, and those that are about to. At least it was a stage DQ and I was able to continue shooting.

I got DQ'd at the Western States Singlestack Championship last year. Negligent discharge while changing the magazine. They didn't DQ me from RO'ing for the next two days. Worked me like a slave! You did right by staying and helping to the end.

Got DQ'ed at my first major match, A1 two years ago, broke the 180 on a up range start really disappointing but what are ya gonna do, I was to worried about my daughter shooting and paying more attention to what she was doing than myself.

Impact guns here in Boise puts on a small indoor IDPA match once a month. On the last stage after load and make ready, I missed my holster and droped my weapon. No excuse! It was slow motion and I caught the weapon with my foot and it bounced a foot in front of us. XDM 5.25 9mm. I stayed and taped and brass.

At home I geared back up and found out the changes needed. I am so worried when I holster that I back my grip to release the grip safety and the weapon slipped out of my hand when I missed the holster. I have learned from this. Denny

The only thing to do at that point is look the RO right in the eye and say:

"I meant to do that."

A couple of months ago in our local speed shooting league, we were all at low ready and the RO had said "Standbye" and was dragging out time to the fire command when from my left I hear one wimpy little:

"TAT"

as one of the guys with a .22 had anticipated the fire command.

Before anybody said anything I called out:

"I didn't hear a thing!"

He got DQ'd anyway....

Edited by bountyhunter

Thanks Guys. I shoot with some guys from work and we had fun with the "don't drop it" jokes. I will hit the range today and check my sights as they might have been bumped. I was fighting my loose thin cover shirt all night also so thats another change to make. I will slow down and watch my weapon holster. Denny

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I got DQ's for very similar reasons. I was using a new Blade-Tech race holster (open front) for the first time. I finished a very satisfying stage and after the "hammer down and holster", holstered, heard a familiar "click" and let go to see the gun spiral to the ground. Had it been my old holster the "click" would have been valid. Never again!!

On the last stage after load and make ready, I missed my holster and droped my weapon. No excuse! It was slow motion and I caught the weapon with my foot and it bounced a foot in front of us. XDM 5.25 9mm. I stayed and taped and brass.

You bring a "weapon" to a USPSA match? Sounds very serious. I usually bring a gun...

Edit: Never mind.

Edited by teros135

• 2 months later...

Look the gun back into the holster. Simple and it works.

Yep, remember you are OFF the clock after the last shot, so why rush anything and risk problems?

Same for making ready. Especially then, as the gun will be loaded at this point of holstering.

Shooters often "forget" that we get absolutely NO points for "style" or looking cool in USPSA competition.

Edited by Robco

I have been DQed and I have DQed people...its no fun regardless of which side of the timer you are on. You did right to stay until the end and help paste, etc. At the FL state championship match in January I DQed a shooter for pointing his gun at me (I was uprange). No apology which irked me a bit but whatever...anyway I noticed he sat on the bench for the rest of the match and played with his phone - apparently he needed to catch a ride with another shooter. Don't be that guy.

• 2 weeks later...

I know what you mean. I got a DQ on the last stage of my first uspsa match. I also broke the 180 rule on a course of fire that started down range. I will say that I was quite embarrassed but no body gave me any flack about it. They said they had all been dq'd before. Just sucks i never got to see my scores.

I have been DQed and I have DQed people...its no fun regardless of which side of the timer you are on. You did right to stay until the end and help paste, etc. At the FL state championship match in January I DQed a shooter for pointing his gun at me (I was uprange). No apology which irked me a bit but whatever...anyway I noticed he sat on the bench for the rest of the match and played with his phone - apparently he needed to catch a ride with another shooter. Don't be that guy.

If you point a gun at someone, you owe them one heck of an apology.

I love DQs...

Here my good sir. We no longer trust thee for this match. Having demonstrated unsafe gun handling thou no longer competeth.... there now we are safe. ....

Next Match...

Hi my good sir. Welcome. Glad to have you back. ... "Are you ready, Stand By...." Beep... :)

Edited by crotchThrower

• 2 weeks later...

I could have been DQ in my first 22LR match for sweeping my left arm, but instead the RO took me aside during the reset and gave me polite but firm lecture. I have always appreciated that, but know that when a DQ comes, it should have happened long ago.