Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My first DQ last night.

Denny4

Depending when it happens ....could mean you saved some $$ on ammo that day or you wasted some that day. Heck there is always the designated score keeper job.

• 3 weeks later...

At my very first shoot, I was so nervous that after the "unload and show clear" command that my hand was visibly shaking. The RO stopped me for a split second and politely said, "good job, now all you have to do is look your gun back in to your holster" and I have never forgot that.

Another comment that I read regarding DQ's...That same RO that I have came to respect and learn from said, "don't worry, there are two kinds of shooters. Those that have been DQ'd and those that will be DQ'd"...

• 1 month later...

Hopefully, if someone has to sit out the rest of the match, and make that long drive home, they absorb a lesson of a some kind.... and when they show back up next match might be a little bit safer?

If not, and no learning is occurring, and the same shooter continues to get DQed repeatedly, especially for the same reaons.... they should take up golf.

Everyone DQs.... hopefully not for the same thing twice. Learning in progress.

Hopefully, if someone has to sit out the rest of the match, and make that long drive home, they absorb a lesson of a some kind.... and when they show back up next match might be a little bit safer?

If not, and no learning is occurring, and the same shooter continues to get DQed repeatedly, especially for the same reasons.... they should take up golf.

Everyone DQs.... hopefully not for the same thing twice. Learning in progress.

What about the situation where someone DQs twice, say at major matches, for the same type of safety issue, like muzzle control or finger control? (I'd guess that does happen.) What's the take on that from the viewpoint of the MD/RM? What should we (as a sport) be doing, both for safety and to help the shooter make the changes that are apparently not being made?

DQ's in Canadian IPSC matches are taken seriously on their own but multiple DQ's in the same year can be a real problem as they may require that one's Black Badge course and tests be retaken. I've only had the one and that was last year but I assure you that avoiding the second weighed heavily on me for quite some time. Mine was a dropped gun and partly a result of using a new holster for the first time. Prior to that I had used CR Speed holsters exclusively but bought an open front Blade-Tech for a new gun that I was intending to use in 3 Gun. After the show clear and hammer down, I reholstered and heard a familiar click and so let go. That was the last time I relied on my ears when reholstering. I added a new step to my reholstering routine that includes all my senses. If it had happened seconds later after I had stepped out of the course of fire boundary it would not have been a DQ which added to the frustration. However, the learning experience was pretty complete and will stick with me for the duration.

Impact guns here in Boise puts on a small indoor IDPA match once a month. On the last stage after load and make ready, I missed my holster and droped my weapon. No excuse! It was slow motion and I caught the weapon with my foot and it bounced a foot in front of us. XDM 5.25 9mm. I stayed and taped and brass.

At home I geared back up and found out the changes needed. I am so worried when I holster that I back my grip to release the grip safety and the weapon slipped out of my hand when I missed the holster. I have learned from this. Denny

Having dropped my fancy expensive race gun once at the safety area while holstering it. I now while holstering my gun always double check that it is in my holster before releasing my grip. I do this for every type of holster I'm using. (Open/single stack/3 gun) twice for every stage at make ready & if clear hammer down and holster

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yep, remember you are OFF the clock after the last shot, so why rush anything and risk problems?

Same for making ready. Especially then, as the gun will be loaded at this point of holstering.

Shooters often "forget" that we get absolutely NO points for "style" or looking cool in USPSA competition.

Went to the USPSA single stack nationals this year. Totally completely blew a stage and my mind was not in the moment during unload and show clear.

Am in the habit of actually showing the r.o. / s.o. that the gun is clear when they say to show clear and then waiting for "if clear hammer down and holster". When I'm the person who is required to announce "range is safe" I feel obligated to absolutely know a gun was cleared properly so seeing all of the process and maintaining a consistent routine is a thing with me (ammo flippers perhaps do not love me because I still want to see an empty chamber).

I had not removed the magazine from the gun, the r.o. stopped me from dropping the slide and saved me from a DQ and a lot more embarrassment.

Another of my weird little habits is to pivot my hip toward the holster when returning the gun. Makes it more natural for me to look the gun in and I just always figured why point a gun at your foot or leg if you don't need to?

That same RO that I have came to respect and learn from said, "don't worry, there are two kinds of shooters. Those that have been DQ'd and those that will be DQ'd"...

He / She missed "those that have been DQ'd and will eventually be DQ'd again".

I got DQ'ed on the first stage of my first IDPA match...

After loading the gun (make ready), I holstered it without engaging the safety - RO looks at the gun in my holster and told I was DQ'ed.

Never made that mistake again.

• 4 weeks later...

Back in the 80's (ok, I'm old) I took a class from none other than Ray Chapman himself, at the Chapman Academy in MO. This was the highlight of my shooting career. This was like golf lessons from Arnold Palmer or flying lessons from Chuck Yeager or sailing lessons from Christopher Columbus. I was really stoked. I was like a kid the night before Christmas.

I drove the eight hours to the range from my home in MN, with a couple of buddies, who were also taking the class. We were to train all week long, and we started at 8 am Monday morning with the obligatory safety briefing in the classroom. "Anything unsafe and you go home...." etc.

Finally getting to the line around 10am, one of our first exercises was draw and fire one shot at a target about 5 yards away. We were all lined up in front of our respective targets. John Skags was our RO and calling the line. Ray was standing behind us carefully watching. My excitement was completely off the charts.

John signaled the start. I went for my gun. Then, everything went into slow motion.

I've drawn a gun from a holster, literally, thousands of times. I have no idea what happened, but, next thing I knew I was watching my Glock 17, in mid-air, turning ever so slowly end over end, on the way to the target. Ray was standing right behind me. Now, some described Ray as "stoic." Let's just say that in the many times I was at his facility, I never saw him smile. Anyway, I could feel his stare coming down on the back of my head like hail on a tin roof.

As I watched my gun going end over end, with the muzzle pointing back at us every revolution, I thought of two things: 1) I'm glad it's a Glock; 2) when I get DQ'd, what am I going to do in a Motel 6 in Columbia MO for a week all by myself?

It seemed to take at least five minutes before the gun landed about 6 feet in front of me. All the rest of the shooters finished the drill, and, the command to reholster was given. I glanced behind me to see Ray walking off, shaking his head. I waited a few seconds but no one said anything -- nothing. I figured that there just is no range command like "shooters may now retrieve their firearms."

I motioned to John that I needed to go forward to pick up my gun, and he just glared, but didn't say anything. I picked it up, re-holstered, and, for reasons I cannot explain, was allowed to continue. As it turned out, I came in "First in Class" for the week.

My buddies now refer to this drawing technique as the "Chapman Two-Yard Toss." But, even though I was the creator of this, I have yet to find any practical application.

It seemed to take at least five minutes before the gun landed about 6 feet in front of me. All the rest of the shooters finished the drill, and, the command to reholster was given. I glanced behind me to see Ray walking off, shaking his head. I waited a few seconds but no one said anything -- nothing. I figured that there just is no range command like "shooters may now retrieve their firearms."

I motioned to John that I needed to go forward to pick up my gun, and he just glared, but didn't say anything. I picked it up, re-holstered, and, for reasons I cannot explain, was allowed to continue. As it turned out, I came in "First in Class" for the week.

My buddies now refer to this drawing technique as the "Chapman Two-Yard Toss." But, even though I was the creator of this, I have yet to find any practical application.

Jerry, I am LMAO! Thanks for sharing and writing such an entertaining account of your painful memory!

:cheers:

• 1 month later...

I think in USPSA (as opposed to IDPA), if you drop a gun, the RO can pick it up for you without a DQ, but if YOU touch it .... DQ.

Don't know about guns without manual safeties. For a 1911/2011 if the thumb safety is off the gun has to be in your hand, sort of like three gun I think.

My dq, table start, do I want to position the gun on the table pointing downrange with the thumb safety off or on, chose off, dq. Another new guy on my squad didn't know the rule either but he was shooting a glock, no thumb safety so no option for wrong choice and no dq.

+1 for learning the rules of the game before playing.

I think in USPSA (as opposed to IDPA), if you drop a gun, the RO can pick it up for you without a DQ, but if YOU touch it .... DQ.

If you drop the gun during the COF it's a DQ, all other places and times you are correct about a RO picking it up without a DQ.

If you drop the gun during the COF it's a DQ, all other places and times you are correct about a RO picking it up without a DQ.

Looks like if you dropped the gun because you were handling it outside of either a safe area or an r.o.'s direct supervision then that is also a dq.

So it seems like the only circumstances where no dq would be required would be;

Gun dropped in safe area or under r.o.'s supervision but not during the course of fire, and r.o. picks it up.

Gun dislodged but not handled and drops but not during the course of fire & r.o. picks it up.

Right?

^I was at a match once where a squad member tripped over a range bag, almost face planting, his gun came out of the holster and hit the ground. We were waiting our turn behind the line.

Another squad member who was an RO, though not "working". Specifically told him to not touch his gun or he would go home. A RO picked the gun up and put it in the holster for him. He was allowed to continue.

Edited by tarosean