Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bolt Carrier Group Lubrication

Wondering what concoctions people are using for bolt carrier lubrication. DPMS told me to use CLP, and don't scimp when applying. Just wondering what others use. I have heard of people using red lithium grease or other brands of oils, and even some that mix the two. Just want ideas. Thansk

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a few threads on this already. I am currently trying synthetic motor oil based on some previous discussions. I don't think that you should over lube. It just invites build up.

I've been using the Rand CLP for about 6 months now and have been pretty happy with it. I run mine pretty wet but usually clean it about every 400 rounds or more often if I shoot it a lot in a short period.

One thing about petroleum based lubricants is that petroleum will carbonize under high heat and pressure. That's exactly what you get with a direct impingment AR action where propellant gases at high pressure come directly back into the action to cycle it. Petroleum based lubrications result in a lot of carbon build up.

Synthetic oils don't have petroleum. I use Mobil One VTAC 20w-50w on the BCG. It was formulated for air cooled motor cycle engines... and a AR is an air cooled mechanism. This stuff is thick enough to stay where you put it, and it greatly decreases carbon build up. I lube the small action parts with Corrosion X For Guns. It also has no petroleum, is a very light lube, and polar bonds with the metal. It works for me.

I use 50/50 mix of 30wt motor oil and ATF, both synthetic from Royal Purple on the bolt and firing pin. Slide-Glide on the carrier and cam pin. I am trying a few new things that seem to be working pretty well.

I have used everything from completely dry, WD-40, wheel bearing grease, CLP, to currently using a Lucas Oil gun lube and I haven't had a problem with anything. Has anyone used anything that specifically causes a malfunction?

• 2 weeks later...

I have used motor oil, works well.

FP-10 is what I have now, have used rem oil too and MP7

I run it pretty wet, don't have too much build up either.

I hear good things about frog lube and have always wanted to try it, never have,

also have heard gunzilla is some good stuff.

I've seen CLP fail twice, both very early and cold mornings, I think condensation built up and froze the bolt after shooting. One was a match and one was a class. I've never seen motor oil, EWL slip 2000, or froglube fail.

A clean dry BCG will run, or a dirty wet one. Some stuff cleans up better latter than others, but in my humble opinion as long as it's soggy it's happy. Use whatever they put in your shooters bag, or your buddy has handy.

• 2 weeks later...