Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Support index finger in front of trigger guard?

ES13Raven

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Angus Hobdell has for years and is at the top of the game.

The super Frenchman Eric does as well but does not teach that technique.

Jerry uses it with the polymer guns but not with the revo.

I used it years ago and made GM with a Para in 45acp.

Rob Romero uses that technique on occasion.

I gave it up when I start shooting high pressure revolvers. Got tired of picking power out of my index

finger knuckle.

Apparently it works pretty well.

ericG_zps43d00a7d.png

Never helped me. Unbalances the grip with a rotational force.

I'd agree with you. Never said that I gripped the gun this way.

Just thought it was relivant that the most succesful pistol shooter in the world uses this grip.

oh y'all are making me feel better.

I liked how the pistol felt in my hands when I had my left index finger on the trigger guard.

when running as fast as I could.

and I read that was not considered good form.

I tried to un-learn it.

thank god I haven't succeeded.

miranda

Seems like it can provide some of the same benefits as the ever popular gas pedals mods going into limited and open guns. If it works for you then I could certainly see how that leverage could help to control recoil. I just doesn't feel natural to me at this point.

It works if you can shoot accurately, and control your gun without having it torque off to one side or the other due to sideways pressure. If you are like me and had a tendency to push rapid rounds to the weak side, you unlearn it as quick as you can. :D

most guys I see shooting don't do it. many think it's dumb and make calls like "that's how steven segal shoots". etc.

It clearly can be made to work for guys like eric and jerry. but I think to be fair those guys are at a level where they could hold the gun upside down and still win matches... so my point is their level of ninja kuing fu is not massively supported by finger on front of trigger guard. it's just something they feel comfortable doing in their grip.

I can't think of a reason NOT to try it. so if you wanna give it a go by all means do it. some pistols have a nice bit of stippling or checkering there (CZ Shadows for one). It may help indexing your weak hand grip?

Edited by BeerBaron

It works if you can shoot accurately, and control your gun without having it torque off to one side or the other due to sideways pressure.

I guess I'm not one of those....

That finger is exerting a force that leans more to the weak side, which means other parts of the grip are engaging to balance against it.

Obviously, some people shoot well that way. I tried it and never liked it.

whatever works is right for whoever it works for.

BTW: the grips is the first two posts are quite different. The first one is more "underneath" support and the second image looks more like a guide wire on a TV mast.... I would think the first one would be easier to keep balanced.

Not to state the obvious, but: the second image shows that his hand is too long for the grip and he is riding it up so the index finger gets shoved up higher. Maybe if the grip was longer, he would be using a standard grip?

Edited by bountyhunter

I can ask Eric in about 2 weeks time, as my club hosts a 2 day training course with Mr. Grauffel :) I am acctually quite nervous about it, I imagine he will find my performance, *choug* less then stellar :sick:

Edited by czbeardly

BTW: the grips is the first two posts are quite different. The first one is more "underneath" support and the second image looks more like a guide wire on a TV mast.... I would think the first one would be easier to keep balanced.

The first one is not an image, but an entire video. Jerry doesn't talk about the finger in front of the trigger guard grip until the 11:28 mark.

There is a reason I have stippled the front of my XDm trigger guard :)

I prefer it, personally, and feel like that index finger is just another helper when it comes to mitigating recoil.

In the beginning I had to actively remember to put my finger there when drawing... after awhile it became natural, YMMV

I started doing that in the 80s. Back then it was cool! Then it wasn't but I still did it. Now, if it's coming back, I may be on the "cutting edge"! Awesome... Oh, and I still use the old captive thumbs down (revolver?) grip, not the straight thumbs thing. To each their own...

I think this may work for people with big hands better. I personally cannot keep the right balance in my grip if I reach that far out, but my support hand is almost to the edge of the trigger guard. I have changed my grips a few times and saw improvements with sufficient practice. I say keep an open mind and do what works for you.

I never did with my Glock. I do now with my Tanfoglio, feels good. Eric G commented on it in some video, he claimed that 'there is no benefit either way' but for him the angle of the support hand is better with the finger on the trigger guard. I.e. support hand vrist is straight with the finger on the trigger guard but you need to tilt the support hand down if you put the finger below the trigger guard.

My Tanfo SIII has a longer barrel and more front weight than my G17 and I find that its easier to stabilize it with the finger on the trigger guard. I also have big hands.

So it depends on you and the gun and whatever feels best.