Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading Bench Construction

benos

• 5 years later...

I know you said you did not have much time; however, I just wanted you to look at the plans on the internet. Go to one of the search engines and type in " reloading bench plans". I just finished this bench and am extremely well pleased with it. I built it over a period of several weeks and you certainly do not have to have all the bells and whistles such as the sliding doors and the adjustable shelves. Cut 3' off of each of 2 pieces of 4x4x 8' lumber for the front legs and use the remaing 5'for the back legs. Use 2x4 for the sides, OSB for the top and the shelf and a piece of pegboard for the back. Works great.

• 1 year later...

Beginners, apartment dwellers, and those on a budget may do well to remember that it's only the press that requires a "sturdy bench". Massive benches may look great, but it's hugely expensive to build one to support items such as calipers, books, primers, powder, notebook, etc which weigh all of 3 pounds. Those items are most efficiently served by a card table.

reloadingstand.jpg

So what is the most efficient "bench" for those with limited funds or space? I'd suggest a 4x4 post supporting a small 12x18w plywood top. Placing the post directly under the press makes the design hugely efficient. Side loads would be easily eliminated by anchoring the top into 2 adjacent studs inside the wall. The shear weight of the 4x4 means the unit does not need floor anchors.

reloadingstand3.jpg

And the best part is that when moving time rolls around, you can patch 2 lag bolt holes in the sheet rock and take it with you.

This is exactly what has been done with the bench on the Ultimate Reloader.Com, except that he's using more costly steel tubing. Notice that there is zero press movement with this mono-pod system.

;)

• 1 year later...

As a new member here, and someone who has soaked up a lot of knowledge lurking, I'd figured I'd best do something to contribute. :)

Here's my bench design that I built. I had to make my freestanding, but wanted something that wasn't going to move. This is sturdy, especially with the addition of some plywood panels on the sides of the legs. It's a brute.

bench2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone tried one of these ?:

http://www.stack-on....-2/products/208

I have one from Home Depot with the wrapped top, upper shelf, and drawers. Sturdy enough but will need to be attached to a wall to be stable. That is complicated by the rear overhang, but it's possible.

I'm using mine in an apartment, so I have not tied it to the wall. Right now I am running a RockChucker off one side which is solid and uses the lateral mass of the bench vs fore-to aft. It's stable, though cramped.

These are thin and tinny until assembled. Stack-on didn't use an ounce of extra steel here.

As a new member here, and someone who has soaked up a lot of knowledge lurking, I'd figured I'd best do something to contribute. :)

Here's my bench design that I built. I had to make my freestanding, but wanted something that wasn't going to move. This is sturdy, especially with the addition of some plywood panels on the sides of the legs. It's a brute.

bench2.jpg

Thanks for your information and pictures, it's great info for the newbie needing suggestions on "how to". I did basically the same thing but now I have a Mig Welder and a head full of ideas on how to really expand my reloading bench(s).

my other half insisted that it had to look nice and we are kinda pressed for space (I made it before we decided to move) so I go two sections of 3/4 inch plywood glued them together, then used oak dowels for the legs ( I wanted to use 2 X 4 but see earlier comment on looks) luckly we have a friend with a lathe so we decorated the legs a little. I then but some 1 X3 on thee sides and routered them for looks. Finally I attached a piece of 2X6 to the back for a good base to screw into the wall. the final step was to drill holes and add threaded inserts for the press. It is kinda small but I have room for the press and some other things to be actively working on.

Kita, may want to photoshop your pic.

http://www.abika.com...censePlates.htm

Why, do you have malevolent intentions? :surprise:

Kita. I thought the same thing. In the interest of safety there's no need to expose information that can be abused.

So your picture was to show your reloading bench? Also included is an attractive woman, small child and a nice car with the legible tags.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

I use the Lee Reloading Stand for my presses. You can use any brand of press on it. With the quick-change mounting system you can have the press in use on top and two others stored underneath. It's extremely sturdy and stable, and it's very portable. With the stand and a folding card table for everything else, you're not only in business, you can easily move everything out of the way when you're not actually reloading.

I use the Lee Reloading Stand for my presses. You can use any brand of press on it. With the quick-change mounting system you can have the press in use on top and two others stored underneath. It's extremely sturdy and stable, and it's very portable. With the stand and a folding card table for everything else, you're not only in business, you can easily move everything out of the way when you're not actually reloading.

I have been looking at this item myself. . .

I just got a bench from harbor freight and the quick change inline fabricaton stand for my lee presses. Once I loaded the bottom shelf with bullets the table became very steady.

The best part is now that I'm in the house and not the hot shed, the wife will fill primer tubes and hundo case gauge/box the bullets for me. Why couldn't I have done this sooner.

post-59822-0-76302300-1442683629_thumb.j

• 1 month later...

I just got a bench from harbor freight and the quick change inline fabricaton stand for my lee presses. Once I loaded the bottom shelf with bullets the table became very steady.

The best part is now that I'm in the house and not the hot shed, the wife will fill primer tubes and hundo case gauge/box the bullets for me. Why couldn't I have done this sooner.

I'm using this bench too. I used a level to shim under the legs and it's rock solid (using a 650 with strong mount).

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After using the same reloading bench for over 30 years, I decided to replace it with a larger one that should last another 30.

The bench top is made of pine 2"x12" and 2"x8" boards.

A question for folks that made their own benches, did you leave the wood unfinished or did you seal it with something? I'm not really looking for the fine furniture look but if recommended I may want to protect it a bit.

Thanks.