Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm spring weight for STI edge

Kwontanamo

i have an STI edge fitted for 40 and its set for limited in USPSA. I'm getting into 3gun I was thinking about fitting a 9mm bull barrel and getting a 9 Ibs spring with it. Does that sound right and is that even a good idea?

Also, the new rule book for 3 gun stated that to make major in tac optics pistols had to be 40 at min. How strictly is that being enforced?

Is that major PF a USPSA multi gun rule? Never shot a USPSA multi gun match but never heard about major PF for Tac Optics in any other 3 gun matches I have shot. Just wondering.

I say shoot the 40 for 3 gun if that's what you have. You can download the 40 to minor if you choose to and have a softer shooting gun or use the major pf stuff you are use to. Your really only giving up 2-3 rounds going with the 40 which isn't that big of a deal Most matches I have seen used outlaw rules over uspsa rules

EkuJustice you have a point. plus that saves me from spending more. I was just thinking about follow up shot since 9mm and 40S&W are pretty different. Would shooting a lighter 40S&W be better? I don't reload by the way...probably should but I don't have a lot of space in my apartment.

If you don't reload, it'd seem that adjusting your ammo rather than the caliber would go a long way compared to putting a new top end on a 2011. You can buy a whole reloading setup for probably every caliber you load for cheaper than a top end for a 2011.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

i have an STI edge fitted for 40 and its set for limited in USPSA. I'm getting into 3gun I was thinking about fitting a 9mm bull barrel and getting a 9 Ibs spring with it. Does that sound right and is that even a good idea?

Also, the new rule book for 3 gun stated that to make major in tac optics pistols had to be 40 at min. How strictly is that being enforced?

Yes I always run a ismi 9# spring in my 9mm Edge

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

+1 for buying reloading equipment vs. a 9mm top end.

You can load 155 grn .40 really soft. Mine are a 126 fp for multigun and steel.

You can save a ton on reloading your own; +/- $100 for bullets, $30 for primers, $10-$20 for powder, and collect your own brass...that puts you at about $150 per 1000 rounds.