Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Worlds best open gun?

Boyeraz

What a can of worms. I have an M2i custom by Matt McLearn and it's a dream to shoot absolutely love it. It's got very refined lines and styling cuts it's not the wildest looking open gun but it shoots really nice and Matt was a wonder to work with. To be fair I haven't shot many of the other varieties if you get the chance take it everyone's different.

Can of worms? More like a barrel!

I urge you to do a quick search. There are so many threads on here about the best anything. I would say open guns have been debated maybe half a dozen times.

Whatever gun somebody just spent 5 grand is going to be their favorite Open gun.

Whatever you do talk to guys at the range and get them to be honest about their guns. Lot's of very expensive builders guns simply don't run very good if you can get the truth.

All that being said get Matt Cheely to build you one and you will be set!!

If you are new to open I would recommend an STI Trubor and work with it to discover how YOU want the gun to be set up. Then go talk to a reputable gunsmith and explain what YOU are after. Any decent gunsmith will then have an idea of what you are looking for, make some recomendations and then build the perfect gun for you.

If you are not new to open then any reputable gunsmith should be able to build what you want.

Infinity Firearms for sure, BUT.......are you sure you want to shoot open? The expense doesn't stop with the $5500 gun. Then you have to pick up your brass, you have to use more powder to make major and you have to be better about maintaining your gun to keep it running.....

Hello: Since you are new to shooting open I would get a used open gun that runs. After shooting that for 2 years I would then make your decision on what you want. Remember alot of the top shooters started with a STI Tru Bor and could still win with one. Since you are starting out I would go with a 9mm gun and a Dillon reloading machine. You will be able to shoot more and not worry about losing your brass or buying 38SC ammo. Just some thoughts for you. As for the best, the one I built myself- HeHe. Thanks, Eric

Whoever makes the one you practice the most with.

The mythical perfect Open gun sits next to the perfect Limited and Production guns in the recesses of people's minds. In all seriousness individual preferences will make what is perfect for one imperfect for another. Heck, what you would perceive as perfect now will probably change over time. There are a huge number of variables you can build into an Open gun which will change how they feel. Heavy gun, light gun, super light slide, not so light slide, ports, no ports, steel grip, plastic grip, bullet/powder choices, etc., etc., A more reasonable question would be who makes a reliable Open gun with good customer service with the combination that you think you like right now. Get it and shoot the snot out of it. Open more than any division seems to drive an urge to embark on a quest for the Holy Grail of the division. Resist the urge.

Edited by Neomet

Whoever makes the one you practice the most with.

The mythical perfect Open gun sits next to the perfect Limited and Production guns in the recesses of people's minds. In all seriousness individual preferences will make what is perfect for one imperfect for another. Heck, what you would perceive as perfect now will probably change over time. There are a huge number of variables you can build into an Open gun which will change how they feel. Heavy gun, light gun, super light slide, not so light slide, ports, no ports, steel grip, plastic grip, bullet/powder choices, etc., etc., A more reasonable question would be who makes a reliable Open gun with good customer service with the combination that you think you like right now. Get it and shoot the snot out of it. Open more than any division seems to drive an urge to embark on a quest for the Holy Grail of the division. Resist the urge.

ONE THAT WORKS.... :lol:

Its seams anyone can make a open gun run good eventually. I am stuck on the looks of the Razorcat. Do you by a gun for looks? I cannot shoot for shit so might as well look good doling it.

Classic!

Hello: If you can't shoot for shit then buy a cheaper gun ,Dillon reloader and lots of bullets. I would rather have an ugly gun that runs. If looks are that important to you then go for it and wear your Rolex while shooting as well- just kidding. You may want to try some open guns as well. Just ask around your club and I am sure the guys will let you shoot some rounds through there guns. Open is not for everyone so try before you buy. Thanks, Eric

Hello: If you can't shoot for shit then buy a cheaper gun ,Dillon reloader and lots of bullets. I would rather have an ugly gun that runs. If looks are that important to you then go for it and wear your Rolex while shooting as well- just kidding. You may want to try some open guns as well. Just ask around your club and I am sure the guys will let you shoot some rounds through there guns. Open is not for everyone so try before you buy. Thanks, Eric

Exactly

I can shoot just not a grand master :) I already have two nice guns Trubor 38 Super Comp and a Steel 9mm gun. I love my steel gun it runs great. My Trubor after some gun smithing work now runs great. I will keep my Trubor for a back up. I value a well made custom gun with looks. I am the type of person that always ends up spending the money to buy the best. If I buy a really nice open gun that I am happy with, I will keep it for a long time.

P.S. I leave my Rolex in my Ferrari while shooting. I only wish I had that kind of money.

IMG_3361_zpsbab6b6ab.jpg

IMG_3360_zps7648f925.jpg

IMG_3359_zps3acf2f03.jpg

IMG_3357_zpsb0c00af7.jpg