Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

slide stop issue?

pcschwenke

I've had a XDm in 9mm for about a year now. Over that time I searched for bullets weights and such the gun prefers. It really likes the 147gr TC bullet. The issue I have is that the slide stop doesn't seem to lock back properly with my reloads. Maybe someone can chime in and give advice. My loads have been as follows.

147gr TC lead

overall length of 1.1 approx.

charge weight of WST 3.6-4gr (around 4 seems to be where you start to see pressure signs of flattening of primers)

The gun cycles flawlessly with all loads but, is intermittent locking back the slide. I'd like to use it in some matches and I know I shouldn't run it dry but, in the case it happens, I'd like it to lock back properly. This happens with all 6 magazines I take to the range. Some of which have new aftermarket followers. It also doesn't seem to matter if I shoot off a rest, against a pillar, or off hand. Limp wristing isn't the problem. I shoot a lot of 1911's from mild to hot bowling pin loads all the time.

My theory is that the slide might be cycling too fast to lock back the slide. So based on this, I lowered my charge to 3.4gr to see if it helps. Haven't had time to test the theory yet since I loaded some test samples last night. I'd also like to chronograph some factory rounds but, I do not have any in the 147gr to try. Does anyone have approx data for their 147gr loads?

Any ideas what to try next?

Paul

Most of the time, the issue is caused if you are a right strong hand shooter and your right hand thumb is bumping the slide stop during recoil. If you are a right hand strong hand shooter, try shooting your reloads using your left hand (weak hand). This will help identify if it is you causing the slide stop issue or if it is the actual firearm.

If it also occurs during left hand shooting, then I think you have isolated to a hardware issue. If it does not occur during left hand shooting, then you may need to adjust your grip or change out the slide stop.

This use to happen to me on occasion and I switched out the slide stop to the one offered by Springer Precision and the issue was eliminated.

Good Luck And Be Safe!!!

:D

Check your magazine springs too. Mine will stop locking back when the mag springs are getting weak.

Slowly pull back the slide with an empty mag insterted and keep your thumb away from the slide stop. If the slide locks back like that the spring is fine. The recoil of the gun actually makes the slide stop work easier as it bounces up into the slot on the slide from time to time. When the springs are starting to weaken, slowly pulling back the slide will not engage the slide stop but a rapid pull will most of the time.

Was having the same issue and it was my grip but was caused by my support hand. I'm a right handed shooter with thumbs forward grip. My left hand rides high on the grip which causes the back of my left thumb to ride on the slide stop. I replaced with Springer's slide stop which fixed my issue without changing my grip.

Haven't had a chance to check any of the replies above. Too busy running around with my daughter running track and soccer. Maybe this weekend. It's very possible my thumb is touching the slide stop I shoot with my thumbs forward as well. If that's the problem, it's going to tick me off. I'll look in to the springer slide stop though anyway! I can not see myself changing grip positions after 20+ years with the 1911...

Was having the same issue and it was my grip but was caused by my support hand. I'm a right handed shooter with thumbs forward grip. My left hand rides high on the grip which causes the back of my left thumb to ride on the slide stop. I replaced with Springer's slide stop which fixed my issue without changing my grip.

Same here but I put the slide release in a drawer.

I slowly pulled back the slide and the slide locked every time regardless of speed of the slide. My position of my grip would interfere with the slide stop... I'll look into the springer replacement. Thanks for all the comments. I was starting to wonder what's going on with my loads!

I had/have the same problem. Anyway, I videotaped myself last weekend and sure enough, it was me. it took 10 tries (single round in each magazine) for it to not lock back, but the time it did, when the slide was back (during recoil) it looked like the slide stop contacted the inside of my strong hand thumb. I hadn't felt it, but the time it didn't lock back was the only time that thumb got close. I needed to run the video almost frame by frame to find it. I'm now trying to get used to that thumb being further out on the weak hand.

Funny, but it started after I got a 1911 and I had to get used to clicking the safety off.

• 2 weeks later...

It was definetly my thumb on my left hand interfering with the slide stop. Now I feel stupid... The slide stays open just fine if I reposition my thumb. I just ran 40+ rounds through it at 3.4gr of WST and the slide stayed open every time. Now I need to figure why some rounds don't fully chamber. I have a lot of mixed brass and some might have the glock bulge....

Glad you found the slide lock problem. I have had no problems with my XDM 5.25 9mm in over 3000 rounds.

My reloads are 147 gr from Bayou, Precision,Extreme, Berry and BearCreek. They all run similar loaded with 3.9-4.1 gr Power Pistol at an OAL of 1.133-1.135. The Bayou's are the fastest, the Extreme the slowest, hence the 4.1gr load. I have had zero issues with chambering with any of these, or factory ammo. Except for Brown Bear, which hung up in the mags, not the chamber. (burned them up in the Sigs)

I load on a Hornady L&L with Lee dies, including the Lee Factory Crimp die, which may help with the chambering success.

Hope this helps.

JD

• 5 months later...