Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Beginner help

I'm new to 3 gun, and have a few questions. I'm a Glock guy, what is the most popular model and cal. ? What kind of ammo is used from all three weapons? Like I said, I'm new and know absolutely nothing about this sport. Fire away!

Thanks , Jason

Hogman

G34, reloads for pistol if you can as there is no PF to make when shooting outlaw. Otherwise, its a glock it will run anything factory without issues.

Rifle, anything that runs and can hold under 1MOA.

Shotgun, the lightest load you can reliably run and get consistently. I generally run the cheap Wal-Mart stuff (federal, not Winchester universal or super target turns most autos into single shots) for practice and Winchester AAs for matches.

Good luck and welcome to the addiction!

Gotta start somewhere. I like my G35 for 3-gun. There may not be a PF requirement but I find that .40 smacks steel down a little bit better and I'm not handicapped by the lower magazine capacity as compared to the G34.

-Jake

I alos like a .40 cal loaded to minor power factor, the Match directors in my area love pistol spinners so the little extra punch of the 40 is nice. For rifle make sure your bullets have a lead core and a copper jacket. Good way to tell is to touch a magnet to just the bullet if it attracts the magnet dont shoot it in a match, they are really hard on steel and they will DQ you for it. If you are shooting a semi for a shotgun shoot whatever it will run consistently, if your shotty goes down it pretty much ruins the day and is super frustrating. Also get some kind of shot shell caddy system and practice with it a little, way better then loading out of pocket. Just my thoughts, hope they help.

The nice thing about a G34 is that if you decide to try anything else (USPSA, Steel Challenge, etc), and you will .... Then you don't need another gun. Also, 9mm is cheaper whether it's reloads or factory so you'll probably shoot more. I had a G34 for 2 yrs and shot all the previously mentioned competitions without issue or handicap. 2 17rd mags handled any pistol stage and if you're having trouble with steel just bump up your load a little and you'll be fine. At Area 6 last year I knocked down 2 poppers each at 45 yds with I shot each using 125 PF reloads from my G34 ...

Hogman...

I use the following:

G19 with factory ammo (plan to move up to the G34 soon)

Stag 3GL factory ammo (223)

1301 Federal from Wally World.....I have some AA too..

I have the following for shell caddys: 2 AP 4x4, Taccom 16 up belt, 1 EZ8, and 1 AP Quad load. I recommend using one caddy for buckshot and a different one for slugs. I also have a Matchsaver on the 1301 in addition to a 2 shell belt mounted carrier (SAfariland). Still working out my primary shell caddy. The 2.8 shell caddy from IP is on the way as I type......hope this helps!

I'm new to 3 gun, and have a few questions. I'm a Glock guy, what is the most popular model and cal. ? What kind of ammo is used from all three weapons? Like I said, I'm new and know absolutely nothing about this sport. Fire away!

Thanks , Jason

Hogman

Ok... you like glocks... that's a good and easy start. Here are my following opinions.

Get a Glock 34. Feed it whatever 9mm walmart ammo you can find (115gr, brass cased). Starting out, you do not need top of the line anything and I wouldn't waste money on top of the line ammo and gear when what you need is practice. Don't read too deep into different loads and how to be able to shoot faster with lighter loads. Manipulate the gun effectively and you will manage recoil just fine. But if you're desire is to purchase a competition glock- just go for the 34... you can also get a drop in trigger to lighten it and lessen the takeup and reset.

Rifle... do you already have one? If not... good barrel and trigger are most important. A comfortable hand guard is subjective to you (it should be free-float). I prefer a 14.5" barrel... but I would recommend getting a 16" barrel, look into a light hand guard (like the AP custom). Trigger... Hiperfire 24C is great and I love mine and highly recommend it for a beginner. Again, since you're starting out, feed the rifle with whatever 55gr ammo you can find. Buy a lot of the same because they tend to have different points of impact. 55gr will do just fine out to 300yds (unless it's really windy). Zero your rifle and know your hold overs and POI. Which optic do you plan to use? On the topic of rifle zero, I prefer a 50/200yd zero. If you want me to explain that, I will.

Shotgun. Which do you have? A lot of being successful with shotgun has to do with knowing your chokes and understanding when to use them. Choke up for your longest shot of the stage. The chokes I own are diffuser, IC, and modified. I should buy a full, but haven't been motivated to. I usually feed my shotgun the Federal 7 1/2 ammo from walmart. But, 8 or 9 shot will do fine too. If I'm not shooting heavy steel, I'll shoot Remington Nitros 7 1/2, 1oz shot (but I save that for big matches cause those shells are more expensive). Anyway, just feed your shotgun what it will reliably run and what you can easily find. Shoot slugs and know your POI for them (cause just like other ammo, it varies by manufacturer). Shell caddies... I like the load two method and use Carbon Arms caddies for that (but also set you up for quadload if you like).

Edited by Hippocampus

• 3 weeks later...

Another vote for G34. Add an extended base pad and you can get 22 rounds in one mag.

For the AR trigger, I switched to the AR-Gold and it is the best trigger that I've personally used.

Ammo for pistol, use whatever brass cased you can find. Reloads are even better. I run 133ish PF loads with an 11lb. recoil spring. Very light recoil and plenty of power.

I use 55gr fmj .223

Shotty, I usually buy a few cases around the beginning of dove hunting season when it's on sale. My gun seems to run anything that I feed it(even the Winchester stuff that everyone says to avoid). For slugs and buckshot I usually run Winchester Ranger low recoil.

Of course I'm always experimenting and changing things around.

I also use a 34.I Put on Dawson sights, DK trigger, carver magwell and Arredondo base pads. 9 mm is cheaper to shoot, especially if you don't reload. I use 55 grain 223 bullets and whatever cheap shells I can find for my shotgun as I have no reliability issues