Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Chamber too tight on a .40 Kart Barrel ?

rerun

I have just built a single stack in .40 with a Kart Barrel.

My problem is i am having failures to feed but the bullets are getting stuck half way in the chamber and not going any further.

When i try to push them the rest of the way they are stuck! I looked at the ones that were failing and they are cheap off brand store bought ammo that looks like they haven't been crimped to tight but some of them will feed and some won't so i am thinking maybe the chamber is too tight ?

Has anyone else had to open the chamber in a Kart barrel ?

By the way this is factory ammo and thats what i want to shoot outa this gun.

Thanks,

Marc

Just had SS built with kart 40 barrel and had same issue. Rounds would pass my chamber checker , but still would not fully seat in Kart bbl. I had my local GS ream it and it gobbles everything just fine know. Take few rounds with you, so GS can see how much is necessary .

On several of my projects I have found the roll stamping causes this. You know the 40 S&W stamped on the barrel hood causes the chamber to me constricted. A reamer will take care of this. I also polish my chamber after reaming.

Saw a kid at a match a few weeks ago have issues with ammo in his factory pistol. frabochi 40s&w ( don't know if that's how it's spelled ). They had zero crimp and you could see where the case lip was dinged as it caught on the roof of the chamber. I would buy another box of competitor ammo and give it a try before I did anything. Worst case you'll have an extra box of ammo.

All great advise as usual from a great Forum..............

I also had the barrel blued ( blacked ) with the rest of my parts after fitting so i am gonna polish my chamber and try again if that won't do it i will buy a finish reamer and open it up some!

Thaks to all who posted!

Here's what I had to do to mine. I have a Schuemann barrel that is really tight. I had the edge of the chamber reamed just enough to clean up the edge. I then purchased a Redding GRx die and run my new brass through it and I already am using a Lee U die. And finally, I had to start using .400 bullets and NOT .401. Problem gone.