Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Training Program

pjb45

Here is the deal:

I went through 5xday for 4 weeks of chemo. Then 5 months of chemo 3x per week.

I have been off chemo for about six weeks. The doctor said it would be 12 months before I regain the strength I had pre-chemo.

My basic exercises are: curls, presses, upright rowing. I either walk or ride my bike 5-6 days a week.

I am doing 5x4 of the basic exercises a couple times a week. The 4th is pretty hard but I get it done.

What would you recommend I add to my basic exercises?

Thanks in advance.

paul

Paul,

Not sure what to say about your misfortune. Seems like you're on the path to recovery.

I have had some pretty serious injuries over the years. I'll spare you the details, but successful recovery followed the general path of getting mobility back, then aerobic balanced with anerobic strength. Looks like you're on that path.

Don't overlook stretching. It's really important to both strength and range of motion. I use it as an "active recovery" approach to rest days - do stretching on days you don't exercise. Stretching should include some balance work as well. I like the BOSU ball, but you can get the same result with standing on the edge of stairs, or soup cans or whatever you have around the house to get started. This also strengthens your core.

I would also add grip strength as a deliberate activity. Captains of Crush are hard to beat - and don't overlook stretching your hands. I have bad tendonitis in hands and elbows that's related to nerve damage. I stretch hands a lot.

Shoulder stability is important in our sport too. Side raises in addition to your upright rows will help quite a bit. Also range of motion for the shoulders with lighter weight.

If you're feeling up to it, do the Turkish Get-up. One set of 4-8 reps each side will get your heart pumping and help a lot with erector muscles. It's optimized for a kettlebell, but you can do it with any dumbell too.

You'll see me post a question about tendonitis soon. I have small boys and what I call "baby elbow" - pain in both elbows from holding twin infants a lot. I've tried lots of stuff with guidance from a physical therapist but not had much luck. Docs tell me it's more persistent because of cervical nerve damage from my last tour in A-stan; surgery didn't really fix the next so it propagates thru the body. Luckily, G-d has blessed me with some resilience and I'm glad it's not worse than it is.

Persevere in your recovery and do try to be patient.

-john

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Crossfit.  You can scale workouts and they are good quick workouts to build strength, speed and muscle stability.

Just make sure you do a lot of research on the box (gym) you are looking into to make sure the trainers are legit and not just affiliate certificate holders