Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How's this for sorting brass quickly?

Chills1994

Ya, know, I bet if a guy was mechanically inclined he could make a case sorter using two counter-rotating steel rollers angled slightly apart, and downhill. Then a guy could put bins under them for the various calibers. And then a guy could make a hopper for it that feeds the cases so they drop right down and fit between those two rollers...well until the angled gap between the rollers lets the 9's drop through, then the .40's, then finally the .45's.

It would be a heckuva machine if a guy could build something like that.

:)

;)

You can buy a sorting tray for 9mm only or a set of three of 9mm, 40 cal and 45 cal. Check MidwayUSA.

I use them for sorting all my range brass pickups. The 380 gets caught in the 9mm sort and is a bit of an issue here and and there but I have learned how to detect it running the Dillon 550B on 9mm. The first stage deprime stroke is very sort-softer than a 9mm case. I catch them that way before repriming etc.. O/W I can occasionally note the difference in length etc.

Chuck

Ya, know, I bet if a guy was mechanically inclined he could make a case sorter using two counter-rotating steel rollers angled slightly apart, and downhill. Then a guy could put bins under them for the various calibers. And then a guy could make a hopper for it that feeds the cases so they drop right down and fit between those two rollers...well until the angled gap between the rollers lets the 9's drop through, then the .40's, then finally the .45's.

It would be a heckuva machine if a guy could build something like that.

:)

;)

Naw, no way. It'd take some sort of mechanical genius, the type that can make a one up precision device with nothing more than the scrap surplus parts in his personal workshop, the kind that is so ahead of his fellow adepts, that he has already has a working model of anything they wish they could have to deal with some shooting or reloading related issue and can prove it with videos.

Such a person clearly does not exist...

;^D

Pretty much the way I have been doing it save for the fact that I was using 9mm trays and it doesn't work quite so well. Instead of using a piece of plywood I simply use another tray to flip the brass to look at the head stamp. I like the idea for the counting - up to this point I've been weighing them which is fairly quick but sometimes I'm out one or two. Nice video though! Cheers

Sent from my SGH-I757M using Tapatalk

Maybe a dumb question but why would anyone need to count brass? I store brass in 5 gallon buckets - when I get below 2 buckets I know I should start picking it up again. It looks like an interesting way to see headstamps if you are one of those people who sorts them out.

Lee

Maybe a dumb question but why would anyone need to count brass? I store brass in 5 gallon buckets - when I get below 2 buckets I know I should start picking it up again. It looks like an interesting way to see headstamps if you are one of those people who sorts them out.

Lee

What, you're not obsessive compulsive?

(love the avator pic, BTW)

Lee

I count it because I load on a single stage press. 100 primers per pack so I get 100 pieces of brass unless I'm doing a larger load but I always count it out in advance.

Lee

I count it because I load on a single stage press. 100 primers per pack so I get 100 pieces of brass unless I'm doing a larger load but I always count it out in advance.

They used to call it anal retentive now they call it ADHD - whatever it is I like to keep my brass in bags of a 1000, that way when I run low I take that and a brick of primers and a box of projectiles and I assemble them all and I'm good for another 2 or 3 weeks lol

Sent from my SGH-I757M using Tapatalk

They used to call it anal retentive now they call it ADHD

That's different than HDADHD, where you can rarely pay attention but when you do it's incredibly clear.

I still think the two are polar opposites. ADHD is being inattentive, anal is being over attentive to the point of being obsessed.

An anal guy would be sorting headstamps and think, "That Winchester head stamp looks like a little different font than the others."

An ADHD guy would be sorting head stamps and think, "These are cool boxes."

If you want to know how much brass you have without waisting a lot of time buy a scale and print out this thread.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=110770&hl=%2Bbrass+%2Bper+%2Bpound#entry1261710

Edited by jmorris

Lee

Me too except on a turret press, 100 at a time

Lee

Me too except on a turret press, 100 at a time

I'm confused. Do you sometimes keep loading after the primers are gone if you have to much brass?

Just sorted 500 rounds of SC like this using one of my 100ct .40 ammo boxes and it is the bomb. Catches all the SC nestled in .40 brass and points out the 9mm. Quick, and I didn't have to stop reloading once to clear an incorrect caliber from the press.

Win!