Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ever want to try this?

I've always wondered what would happen if you place your hand on the back of the slide and fire a round. What about a thumb on the back of the slide!

Answers range from damaging your pistol to injuring your hand. Well, wonder no more. Bet your friends and make some money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtqjugGXiSY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuKPNgy-MNY

A hotdog as an analogue for a thumb is just stupid. There is absolutely no comparison. The only time I ever wanted to try something like this was with a suppressed .22 pistol. Pretty sure you could hold the slide without hurting yourself.

-Jake

In law enforcement we are trained to make contact shots while applying pressure to the back of the slide. This will keep the gun from going out of battery. Use either your palm or thumb whatever the situation dictates. Just don't forget to manually cycle the slide for follow up shots.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Some silenced guns have a little catch to keep the slide from retracting when fired. The few I've seen haven't looked very large or sturdy. I've done it with a Ruger .22 as it's nice and flat on the back, not much push when fired. 1911 might be a little more difficult due to the hammer location.

• 2 weeks later...

I've done this. It's mild as long as you are right against the slide and don't let the barrel unlock.

If your hand is behind it after it unlocks and starts to cycle, it will probably leave a mark.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

If you have ever been shooting light loads and had your thumb contact the slide - slide drag on thumb - you may have experienced a malfunction. That will give you an idea about how little drag it takes to really slow the slide down. If it doesn't get a start - unlock as mentioned above - it isn't hard to hold in place.

It's been common "practice?" in SD?combat training, to grab the slide , that way there can only be 1 shot fired without manually racking the slide.

Also on a revolver, grabbing it so some part of your hand blocks the hammer.

Lots of variables. Obviously the lighter the recoil spring the harder the slide comes back, also it doesn't take much to stop the slide unlocking from the barrel lugs, but as soon as it does it starts building momentum, at the end of the slide stroke it will definitely bite :surprise:

I honestly never thought about trying it, I always try to keep my extremities out of the way of moving parts of the gun. (I had a glock bite the top of my first thumb knuckle, the one at the base, when I rode to high on it 20 years ago and never forgot even though it wasn't bad)

I'm glad I saw this post though, I've learned something about stopping them before they unlock, it makes sense. I would think for close quarters this is good to know, if you have the gun up against an assailant and need to make sure it is in battery just jam your thumb or web up against the back and pull the trigger.

Red