Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What shot shells do you use in your Versa Max?

bigarm

Going to use the new versa max tactical this Sunday for a multigun match. Need to pick up some shells. Only have a few days so thought I would ask what bird shot you are using in your versa max for reliable cycling. When I have more time I will try out different brands, etc. Hopefully something cheap from Walmart will work. If not we will need to pick some up in Missoula Saturday. Where we live there is not a big selection. Walmart being about the only gsme in town.

Edited by bigarm

Your Versa will run the Federal Field and Target multi-purpose loads all day , everyday. I use the 7.5 shot, 1-1/8 oz., 3 dram eq. at 1200 fps ( this is the Federal bulk packs from Wal-Mart) .You won't have the issues with bad crimps etc... that you get with the Winchester crap. I have run thousands of these through my Versa with no issues whatsoever. If you have any long shots on heavy poppers or you need a little more power, the Remington Premier Nitro sporting clays are 1300 fps and Federal also has some 1300 fps , 3-1/4 dram that work great.

Either Remington gun club or federal target loads. They're both around the same price. When I'm feeling fancy I do Winchester AAs and some higher velocity stuff for spinners. No prairie storm or anything like that.

Just as an FYI, I do not run the STS at majors due to reliability reasons and my VMs feed them all. I have found that the 1100 low recoils take down steel better than the 1145s and they have a better pattern, especially with the Cyl and IM chokes. The extra $100 a year is worth it to me.

I prefer the Remington Nitro 27's. 7 1/2 or 8's at 1235fps. I don't like hitting plates and not having them fall over. Every match seems to have a couple of targets that just won't go down to 1145's. If the stage or match is all clay targets then I use whatever 1145's I can get. The Federal Pink shells and Target load work well in my gun.

About 2 K through mine and it will run anything! I tried the Win AA12fl featherlite's that Win does not recommend in semi's. They chrono at 960 fps thru my 26" My reloads are under 750 fps with no function problem.