Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Case won't fit gauge

Chevy

I was loading up some hornady 9mm HAP bullets and some of them won't fit the gauge , what am I doing wrong? It looks like its hitting at the bottom of the bullet bulge.. I colored the case with a felt marker and put it into the gauge and it shows the mark about 1/4 way around the case at the bottom of the bulge.Iwill see if I can post a photo.. Once i size the case it fits good in the gauge then lightly bell it and then seat the bullet and the bulge is there.. The HAP bullets are a .356 dia. After loading 20 bullets there are 8 that dont fit and all the cases are win cases. post-50642-0-45012600-1398200143_thumb.j

They won't fit the barrel either, its a new rl550b dillon and I loaded up about 500 lead round nose with no problems its just these HAP's I'm having trouble with. You can see where its hitting the gauge and the barrel .

Are the bullets going in canted. I had to modify my flat point seating die so that it would seat on the ogive of the bullet instead of the point. It was damn near impossible to keep them from going in crooked until I did that. Since then I have loaded thousands of HAP 125s, Zero 125 JHPC and MGs without issue. The 125 HAP and Zero JHPC are two of my favorites. I can't tell from your picture if that is your issue, but that was the problem I was having.

The OAL is 1.069 and the gun is M&P 9 core with 5" barrel .. Like I said a quarter of them don.t fit the rest fit fine in gauge and barrel..its almost like its bulged more to one side during seating or crimping.. Not sure its baffling.. I just loaded 10 more and 4 don't work...

I would think that it may have something to do with canted bullets too. The ring you describe as being only partway around the case would be consistent. A different seating stem and/or a little more bell might help.

Hi Mdlineman , yes maybe you are right about going in croocked what kind of mod did you do to the die? Did you grind the flat part of the face down? Not sure if I should do that.. I even tried the round nose part of the seating die and it did the same thing..

I got an extra flat point seating stem from Dillon and cut it on a drill press. I used a bit that was larger then the point but a little smaller than .356. I only had to cut out about 1/8" or so. Take a little at a time until you reach the desired diameter and depth. I read somewhere that if you call Lee they will do this for you. But it was simple enough and I have cut out a few of them for friends. It totally cured the issue.

Edited by MDlineman

I tried that. Didn't work for me. I had a lot of trouble with MGs epically. I read on this forum about Lee making the mod for people so I figured I would try it myself. It helps that my brother has a machine shop, but the only thing we needed was a drill press. I can leave my bell set now instead of having to change it every time I load conicals and it also keeps from putting extra stress on my cases.

Edited by MDlineman

Hmmm... I have loaded RN,HP,IFP,FP, jacketed,plated,moly and probably a few others in 9mm on a Dillon with Dillon, LEE and EGW dies and rarely have rounds that fail gage or chamber.

The only time I ever got off centered bullets was when a I tried a 1050 powder activator in place if the regular funnel. They were way off center because the cases were not expanded at all and even those chambered fine. Seems like getting a special seating stem cut is a bit much.

What do those bullets mic?

Edited by Sarge

1.069" isn't short but more along the lines of the norm for a 115/124 JHP, profile dependent. My 115 HAP/XTP OAL is 1.075", same as Atlanta Arms 115 PPC/Bianchi Match Ammo & what Hornady recommends. My MG 124 JHP OAL is 1.072" for Bar Sto & CZ 9mm Barrels.

Edited by SPDGG

It took about 5 minutes to cut the stem. I will post pictures after I read how to post them. The issue with the conicals is that they are more narrow at the point and want to " roll off" the flat area ( best way I can describe it). If you allow room for the tip ( think hollowed out) then they seat firmly on the ogive.

This is what I was going by ..

BULLET WEIGHT125 GR. HDY HAP

ManufacturerIMR

PowderSR 7625

Bullet Diameter.356"

C.O.L.1.069"

Starting Load

Grains3.3

Velocity (ft/s)804

Pressure25,600 PSI

Maximum Load

Grains3.8

Velocity (ft/s)914

Pressure32,000 PSI

I was at the 3.8 and with 1.069 oal with my test loads that did work out as they were the best for accuracy 1 inch at 20 yards.

So if I was to go to 1.10 C.O.L. what would a load to start with be 4.0 And work up from there ?

Judging from the pictures, it looks like you could crank your sizing die down a bit more.

Loosen your sizing die and raise the RAM (handle down). Hand tighten the sizing die until it rests snuggly against the shell plate. Back off 1/6 of a turn (one bolt face). Here's the tricky part... note where bolt face is and carefully tighten the lock nut. Make sure the die stays in that position.

The Dillon die is an undersize die so when you've gotten the sizing die down enough with the Dillon die, your ammo will take on a distinctive wasp waist (coke bottle) shape. This effect will be somewhat less with JHP bullets but it should be quite noticeable.