Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone use just 1 gun?

Digging through my safe(s) trying to find something---and finding other things I forgot I had, I wondered---does anyone use just 1 pistol for IDPA, IPSC and carry? If so, what is it?

My goal for '05 is to get back to basics, get rid of a lot of "stuff" that is not used, or hardly ever used.

I don't have much shooting stuff (total number of guns limited by local laws and financial budget... :( ), anyway here it goes:

IPSC Competition: SVI Competition (Standard Division) .40" short & weak.

Carry: S&W 6904 9mm or Taurus 617 CP .357" mag.

I find that if I want to enjoy shooting competitions (we do not have IDPA/ICORE/GSSF/Bowling competitions here) I can't shoot what I carry.

On the contrary, even if I'd like to carry what I shoot in competition, it would be a bit awkward to do it (not to mention the fact that we're not allowed to use sporting guns for carry... <_< ).

For the longest time, before production and L10 divisions, I had only two guns. The one that saw the most use was my Glock 22. It was my home, car and IPSC gun. Now it's come back for Nelson Jr. to start shooting limited. It's a great all-around pistola.

What kind of worthless loser would want to shoot just one gun and get good at it? What will you do with all time you would normally spend re-learning the index every time you traded guns? What will you do with all the money you save buying gizmos that reduce recoil .000023% by absorbing surplus quark energy from the Crab Nebula? If that keeps up, you'll stop trying to win the Power Factor Floor Limbo contest and start shooting gamer full-power factory ammo.

You've totally lost sight of the true meaning of Practical Shooting.

:rolleyes:

Guns are getting spendier to replace. I learned the hard way selling mine off. I used a colt commander for IPSC/carry with factory loads as a newb until I figured out I sucked being L-10 and getting thrown in with the Hi-cap Limiteds at our club. Then I bought a Benny gun and blew it up now I have zip while waiting for the replacement. I will remedy this with a backup STI 5" or go for an open gun of Benny's. I dont know if it was a head game, but I used to place in the bottom 3rd at our matches and last match I was 9th overall being unclassified with Benny's gun.

I used a bunch of different guns. Lately I have been sticking with 1911/2011 types. When I move from them to the BHP, the triggers have a different feel. So if I am going to carry the BHP I usually go to the range for some practice with it as well as dry firing it at home.

Others with much more skill than me are able to transition from one type to another more easily than me.

• 1 year later...

I use my Kimber 1911 .45 for everything. Duty IDPA/IPSC home defense and most of the time as my off duty gun. It's got alot of rounds thru her and when the times comes and I can afford it she will be retired in favor of an ED Brown model I have my eyes on.

A 2 year old topic back to life,, Ill play.

I use a Wilson Stainless Protector, got it for IDPA but dont do much IDPA anymore, use it for IPSC and multigun BUT after the last 2 years of multigun getting hosed by highaps I have NEW Edge from Dawson coming any day.

I will probably use it for Limited class in USPSA depending on how many pistol matches vs multigun matches I go to.

The way I figure now that I have made the rather expensive jump to go hicap and all it requires, now MultiGun will start classing pistols. ;)

I still carry a SS and have several,, Nightstand Rock Island, stainless compact Springer for the truck center console, so I guess Im still a SS 45 guy except for play time.

Edited by tnek