Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tactical Priority?

mcracco

I was at a major match recently and ran into a small problem on one of the stages. Stage had one shooting position from which shooter took low cover and engaged target from both sides of a narrow cover.

Being left handed, I cleared all but 2 targets from the left in tactical priority. On the right remained 2 targets. The catch is the outboard target was all but covered by a non-threat. In order to get a line of sight on the outer target I had to lean so far out that I was completely exposed to the inner target. Even though I know I would get dinged I took the inner target first as to me that presented the first threat in that scenario. With that target neutralized I continued to lean out until I could get sights on the outer target and took those shots. Sure enough, my logic earned me 3 bonus seconds.

Poor stage design or is my head not screwed on right?

All but covered, or covered?

Major match,or local match is no matter. Disect the stage during the walk thru and challenge what looks wrong. This causes the SO to consider your position (prior to shooting) and make the necessary corrections or at least tell you how it needs to be shot in spite of the apparent problem.

Poor stage design (IMHO).

Covered for all practical purposes. There was maybe an inch or two of the right edge exposed as viewed from cover without starting to extend. Put it this way, by the time I extended enough to get a shot in the down one zone I was fully exposed to the other target.

Thanks for your input.

BTW, Costa Rica Nationals. Good match and experience overall.

I agree. Poor stage design and poor SOing. No shooter should be required to engage a target that does not give them the opportunity for a Down 0 hit, let alone a hit that will not result in neutralizing the target. If the shooter can't see the Down 0 area of the target from a shooting position that target should be considered "covered" from that shooting position.

This should have been pointed out during the squad walk (and should have been caught during the pre-match SO walk through). You got 'jobbed' by poor course design and poorer SOing. You're not the first. Happens all the time in IDPA... even at the World Championship. It happened to me there on a stage that became so controversial that it spawned some changes in the new rule book.

Frankly I'm not sure how the other shooters ran it. I was the second in a small squad of eight. I didn't see how the first shooter shot it so I asked him after the scoring but I think my English for in the way and he didn't really answer. After that I was reloading and paying attention to other matters. I guess the take away is as GOF points out I should have been more vocal during the walk through.

Totally unrelated but the previous stage required you to shoot everything from under a barricade either by squatting or going prone. Being 6'6" I went prone. Once in position I was taken by how perfect everything looked; sights, lighting, elbows on the ground very stable. Love it when that happens. Go to score the targets and on the two targets at about 20' have a single hole in the down zero. First is an obvious double that scorer had to do a double take on. But the second was not obvious. I KNOW it's a double. One side of the hole was slightly more torn than the other but it was not elongated so I really could not argue the point. Had to let it go and take the down 5. Hate it when that happens.