Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Titegroup questions

DaveInHawaii

Hi all,

I'm having better accuracy loading to the higher end of the published load for Titegroup and 147 grain TMJ FN bullets. I'm shooting a 1911 with a Kart barrel that prefers 147 bullets. I'm using Speer and Montana Gold on a Dillon 550b.

3.5 grains of Titegroup is the highest I've gone. 3.6 is the max. My OAL is around 1.135. If I go longer than 1.140 they start to fail the plunk test.

I'd like to try 3.6 grains but as a new reloader I'm a little concerned about going to the max. For example, a couple of my loads from last night were 1.129 and 1.130 is the minimum published OAL. Anyway, say I load for 3.6 and some 3.7 rounds make it through. Should I be concerned?

At this point I'd be happy with 2" at 25 yards from a rest with these bullets. I'd really like to narrow it down to 1". Do quality hollow points, like Zero, generally shrink the groups? I have not found any hollow points in the 147 grain. Any tips of where to find some?

Thanks,
Dave

Titegroup is supposedly not a very forgiving powder so if you want to go to the max or beyond I would load a few at 3.6gr, measuring each one individually to make sure of the powder charge, and check the spent brass for pressure signs. Im sure most companies figure a little leeway in the data they publish and .1 gr should not make a huge difference.

Thanks fellas. I have not put the chrono on it yet. I think I'll pass on the 3.6 max load of Titegroup.

How about Silhouette powder. I'm finding the accuracy with that powder also increases at the higher end of the published loads. Is it more forgiving if I were to venture to the max charge?

Thanks,
Dave

I dont have any experience with Silhouette but generally slower powders are a bit more forgiving, but they will have more recoil, so you have to figure the tradeoff for what you want. If it helps I started using titegroup recently and have a load that will shoot 2" groups all day long. 3.4gr titegroup over a 147gr blue bullet at 1.145 OAL. This runs to a 143 power factor out of my XDM 5.25.

Thanks guys. I really appreciate your input. I loaded up some of the Speer bullets and MG 147s to 3.5 in TiteGroup.

Does anyone know the Minimum OAL for the 147 Zero FMJ round nose bullets? I've heard such good things about Zero that I wanted to try some. With the chamber on my barrel I need to go with a 1.125 OAL and I'm wondering if that will be a pressure concern since the Zero's are the longest 147 gr. bullets that I have.

Thanks,
Dave

Edited by DaveInHawaii

Pictures make it more interesting.IMG_4876.JPG

Here's the gun in question. I really like the feel of it. I got it used. It was made by Mike LaRocca. I was not familiar with him before getting the gun. It's really nice. I had Ed Masaki, an old time bullseye smith check it out and he said it was well made...didn't have one thing to criticize. Ed's in his early 80's now and will tell you what he thinks...

IMG_4874.JPG

The frame was from an older Dan Wesson Point Man in .45.

I'd like to replace the front sight with a plain black sight. The fiber optic is a little distracting for me. I like the Bo-Mar rear.

IMG_4871.JPG

Take care,
Dave

Molokai%25209-15-13.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've been working at it for 5 or 6 weeks and I'm finally getting it figured out.

I'm new to loading and I had a lot to learn to get the 9mm loads shooting tight.

I appreciate the help,
Dave

This was my best group at 25 yards in mid March.

IMG_4869.JPG

Now I'm getting this:

Kart%25201911%2520one%2520inch%2520group

The Bay...It's a beautiful calm day today. It's been windy lately. Today the bay is glass.

Morning%2520Paddle.JPG

Bay%2520View.jpg

I was out on a paddle a few weeks ago and came across my neighbor. He will be 85 and he's got his snorkel / fins on the back of his canoe. How cool is that!

Fred%2520One%2520Man%25202-21-14.jpg

Personally, I think Silhouette is a great powder with a wide load range in all the service calibers. I have never thought it recoiled any harder than TiteGroup when loaded to the same velocities and actually think it's a superior powder, especially if you use any lead bullets. It will certainly burn a lot cooler and not heat up your gun in a long string of fire like TiteGroup does.

Edited by Justsomeguy

So I think you're loading for accuracy and not to achieve a power factor? If so, I'd be inclined to change bullets to a premium one (as you noted) more than worry about achieving maximum TiteGroup loads. I don't think that .1-.2gr of powder is holding back accuracy. And if I've misread and you are worried about making power factor, I make "minor" power with 3.6gr of Titegroup under a 124gr bullet, so I'm sure at 3.5 you're making power with a heavier bullet.

As for 147gr hollow points, I don't know where you can find them in bulk, but:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/346668/hornady-xtp-bullets-9mm-355-diameter-147-grain-jacketed-hollow-point-box-of-100?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Cool, thanks guys.

I am not competing so I don't care about power factor. All I want is accuracy. I'll try some of those XTPs. Thanks for that tip.

I do have a little Silhouette and will try it again when I feel like experimenting.

Thanks,
Dave