Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Firing Pin Safety Wear?

ES13Raven

Running the Glockworx Zev striker and firing pin safety. The firing pin safety is getting pretty rough around the mid-section and also on top of the cone.

Is this normal wear for 1500 rounds?

gmu3JQO.png

3FMDmIP.png?1

1bILEYC.png?1

New (for reference):

ZBRTgid.jpg

Edited by ES13Raven

I have seen the same problem with OEM Glock parts where i can see that the striker has made contact, but had nowhere near the extent of damage you got and this gun had 10,000 + rounds. I bought a Lighting Stike Titanium plunger and it looked bad after about 300 rounds. I went back to the OEM and to be honest I can't say I could tell the difference in trigger pull between the two.

Has anyone had a issue with there Glock because of this ? thought the stainless one would be the better choice rather than the Titanium one because I've seen that picture before, but guess not. Round and polish a OEM is that the best fix for (reliability, durability and a smooth trigger pull ?) or is there a better after market part out there

I have seen this issue with OEM glocks on high round count agency issued guns. You have two problems that can happen here, 1) no more drop safety as the striker can slip past the plunger when dropped, and 2) You can get light strikes as the striker binds on the plunger.

You can test for the safety part by field stripping the glock, pull the striker tang back so the striker resets back in the slide and is not protruding from the breach face, and then apply pressure forward to the striker tang to see if it will push past the plunger. Don't hammer it or over do it, but give it a firm amount of force. If it does slip past, replace both the striker and the plunger, because they usually wear on each other and both parts will have been ground down, unless it's an aftermarket plunger made out of softer material.

Apex Tactical has a Glock Ultimate Safety Plunger that claims an extended service life.

Here are the material specs.

· Extremely durable 440C stainless steel

· Hardness 48 – 54 Rc

It is also my understanding from the owner that limiting over travel on a Glock will accelerate wear on any plunger.

I have one and am testing it out.

Apex Tactical has a Glock Ultimate Safety Plunger that claims an extended service life.

Here are the material specs.

· Extremely durable 440C stainless steel

· Hardness 48 – 54 Rc

It is also my understanding from the owner that limiting over travel on a Glock will accelerate wear on any plunger.

I have one and am testing it out.

If you practice preventative maintenance with your pistol the firing pin safety will probably never nedd to be replaced.

I put 52,000 rounds through a Glock with reduced pre travel and reduced over travel and never saw any wear on the firing pin safety.

Same story with with my other Glocks which never needed a firing pin safety changed.

I would like to see any evidence where reducing the over travel causes excessive wear on the firing pin safety.