Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 Major WST and VVN320 Alternatives

not4you2know

With powder being hard to get, I figured I'd through the question out here. I'm currently running a 5" STI edge with 180 BBIs at 1.80 OAL. I use WST and VVN320 primarily and I was wondering is there are any good alternatives to these.

Thanks.

I use both of those for .40 major thru my 2011s - along with Clays and started using E3 the last few months (all with BBI, Bayou & SNS coated).

I'm using the N320 for all my match ammo and the rest for practice loads. The E3 feels the closest to the N320 IMO (using 4.6gr of N320 vs 3.8gr of E3). E3 just doesn't meter all that great for me, but it's about half the cost of N320 (which meters great for me).

When working up my first 40 major load over the winter I did tons of digging through 40 major topics for the best powders to try. I ended up going with N320, although WST and Solo 1000 were in the running. N320 won out mostly because I was doing chrono work in the bitter cold and gave preference to the least temperature sensitive of the three. I only had a dusting of WST left anyway. When my N320 runs out I'll switch to Solo 1000 based loads.

At any rate, mixed in among the very commonly discussed N320, Clays, WST, and E3, I also found mention of Solo 1000, Unique, Longshot, and N340.

Knowing they're slower powders, it's no surprise that the last 3 kicked more than any of the rest. Unique and N340 will be acceptable fall backs if I run completely out of any faster powders. Longshot never. Although it did give me crazy velocity with minimum powder levels.

Anyway, those are some powders I ran across for 40 major when digging.

I've used quiet a bit of Ramshot Silhouette to have a backup load in the event there was no N320. The "feel" of my major loads with Silhouette is on par with N320, but this powder doesn't seem to have a complete burn so you will see an accumulation of unburnt powder in your pistol after a couple hundred rounds.

I friend gave me this load and its soft and makes major easily if you can load long

4.2grs WST, 200 gr Bayou and any spp, COL 1.190 gives me 175 no variations in temp so far, chrono'd at 20, 45, 55 degrees hopefully this weekend it will hold in the high 60's to check that temp

1911 5" and a para 5"