Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Titegroup and coated bullets

stellabird

I'm new here...I spend quite a bit of time over on another 1911 Forum, but was directed here by a friend much smarter than me. I've been reloading for my 1911's about 6 months now with very good results. Powder availabilty piss-poor where I live, so as much as I'd like to be using Clays, VV310 or HP-38, it's simply not available. I found a bit of Titegroup recently and grabbed it. I liked the feel of my test rounds quite a bit, and believe it will be my go-to powder for a while (I like it at 4.8 gr under a 200 gr SWC). The issue is that I have a large stock of SNS Casting's coated bullets which I like very much. Are the rumours about Titegroup's high nitroglycerin content making it too "hot" for coated bullets a myth or not? I talked to Ryan at SNS and he said I may experience a bit more smoke with Titegroup but that should be it. I really didn't notice it on my trial rounds but was more concentrating on feel and accuracy. Thanks for the help guys...

I have recently, personally shot SNS 200gr SWC coated rounds under 5gr of titegroup and it doesnt smoke any more than anything else I tried them with, and that includes SR7625, E3, and Solo 1000. I have shot titegroup under Bayou coated and the powder coated Blue Bullets and they both run virtually smoke free. In fact my new go to 9mm load is titegroup under a 147gr Blue Bullet, and the last match I shot with this load had less visible smoke than factory FMJ loads others were shooting. I think titegroups reputation for smoke comes from people shooting straight lead, mixed with a little internet rumor. Regardless, most of my load development and target practice is done at an indoor range and titegroup doesnt smoke any more than anything else I use, if anything it is less smoky.

• 2 years later...
On 4/1/2014 at 3:44 PM, dave33 said:

I have recently, personally shot SNS 200gr SWC coated rounds under 5gr of titegroup and it doesnt smoke any more than anything else I tried them with, and that includes SR7625, E3, and Solo 1000. I have shot titegroup under Bayou coated and the powder coated Blue Bullets and they both run virtually smoke free. In fact my new go to 9mm load is titegroup under a 147gr Blue Bullet, and the last match I shot with this load had less visible smoke than factory FMJ loads others were shooting. I think titegroups reputation for smoke comes from people shooting straight lead, mixed with a little internet rumor. Regardless, most of my load development and target practice is done at an indoor range and titegroup doesnt smoke any more than anything else I use, if anything it is less smoky.

If you don't mind me asking, how much powder and what overall length are you loading the 9mm 147gr fp blue bullets to? 

4 hours ago, the_t0ny said:

If you don't mind me asking, how much powder and what overall length are you loading the 9mm 147gr fp blue bullets to? 

I use 3.1gr titegroup under a 147gr coated lead bullet.  OAL I use is 1.135.  This is out of a XDM 5.25. 

I use TG on a regular basis for practice rounds with 230 grain Blue Bullets. I bought a boatload of it when I found it during the powder crush. The only issue I can guess at is the higher velocities of a .40 may cause gas cutting on the base of the coated bullet for some reason. I've used TG with 165 grain Blues and again had no issues. It meters good and quite a few shooters use it. 

As far as the smoke issue, I have had none, but again that could be because of a difference in coatings, or even thw way a barrel fits with a coated bullet. If I were you, I'd fire away unless you find some issues you can't work with.

• 3 weeks later...