Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ

RickyH

Bullet profile makes all the difference in the world. I've loaded some 124gr hollow points which hit the rifling at 1.1" and 115gr plated round nose which didn't at 1.185" (although the tips started to catch in the front of the mag at that point).

For my 9 Major loads I like 1.150" with an Xtreme plated 115, for Production I use a cast 147 at 1.135"

yeah it massively depends on the bullet. you also should do some testing at different OAL's to see how it affects grouping.

feralshooter and I tested some different OALs with the fronteir CMJs we shoot (both 124gn and 135gn both round nose profile) and found the groups really tightened up as we got shorter. like somewhere between 1.070 and 1.090. I load the 135s as short as 1.080 and the 124s I think feralshooter loads to 1.070 these days. they feed really nicely and shoot really nicely. no fliers, no tumblers and group nicely.

As beerbaron said, we tested various OALs for frontier round nose projectiles. While I could load both 124 and 135gn pills out past 1.140", they were not accurate and had some feed problems. I loaded test rounds in 0.010" increments down to 1.050". The shorter the round the more accurate they became. I settled on 1.070" for the 124, and 1.090" for the 135. The reason was that at shorter lengths the ogive would be inside the case mouth and I was concerned the mouth could hang up when going into the chamber.

While i load rifles to be just off the lands, i don't think this is the best way with pistols. I am convinced that cz pistols like short OAL. Max length of any load I have settled on is 1.100".

I should add that I only shoot 124/5 or 135gn projectiles, either coated lead or frontiers.