Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Square Deal B

benos

So do I pick up a whole priming assembly or just a primer slide and magazine tube to swap from small to large primers

It’s been a few decades from my last swap but IIRC you only need the anvil, cup, tube and two allen wrenches (one for the 3 socket head cap screws and another for the set screw that retains the anvil).

Edited by jmorris

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So do I pick up a whole priming assembly or just a primer slide and magazine tube to swap from small to large primers

It’s been a few decades from my last swap but IIRC you only need the anvil, cup, tube and two allen wrenches (one for the 3 socket head cap screws and another for the set screw that retains the anvil).

Great, guess I'll tack that on to my next order

Jmorris is right on just the few items. I have a complete set up for small and large and it is 3 screws and you are swapped out. It takes a little longer to swap the parts but, it's no big deal if that is what you have.

The folks at Dillon will tell you exactly what you need.

• 11 months later...

The weakest link in the SD that I’ve found is the primer shoot. I don’t use my SD’s very much but when I do more often than not they are being hauled to and from the range. Now I know that Dillon will ship out new ones for free but I decided to build mine a little more robust. Haven’t broken one yet.

The SDB's primer catcher is a PITA because you get spent primers flying everywhere.

A very simple fix involves taking a 38 Special brass case, some flexible plastic tubing to fit over the case, washers for shims, drill and bits.

Start by drilling out the primer pocket in the case - deburr as required.

Remove the Spent Primer Cup bracket (17212), drop the case into the spent primer hole (from the top), add washers (as shims) to the thickness of the 38 Special rim and then reinstall the bracket.

Slip the tube onto the case (from under the press) and route as requiredplacing end into a 1 gallon jug.

I have 4 presses to do but I only thought of this a couple of days ago plus I'm not at home.

• 1 month later...

The weakest link in the SD that I’ve found is the primer shoot. I don’t use my SD’s very much but when I do more often than not they are being hauled to and from the range. Now I know that Dillon will ship out new ones for free but I decided to build mine a little more robust. Haven’t broken one yet.

The SDB's primer catcher is a PITA because you get spent primers flying everywhere.

A very simple fix involves taking a 38 Special brass case, some flexible plastic tubing to fit over the case, washers for shims, drill and bits.

Remove the Spent Primer Cup bracket (17212), drop the case into the spent primer hole (from the top), add washers (as shims) to the thickness of the 38 Special rim and then reinstall the bracket.

Slip the tube onto the case (from under the press) and route as requiredplacing end into a 1 gallon jug.

I have 4 presses to do but I only thought of this a couple of days ago plus I'm not at home.

Now a couple of pictures.

_MG_0012.jpg

_MG_0019.jpg

I love my SBD. To catch primers I removed the little cup that comes with it and simply put a plastic lid under the press. I like this because I can clearly hear the spent primer drop. I just ordered a complete auto-prime assembly from Dillon. I had originally just ordered the parts but customer service talked me into the complete assembly. Seems much easier and I won't be losing primer cups on my garage floor. The only real problem I've had is with my de-priming pin grabbing primers and pulling them back up into the pocket. The solution was to take a fine metal file and shape the pin down a little bit into a point. Go SBD!

I just bought a SDB. I was wondering if bullet seating depth flucuation is common? I am have seating depths that change + or - a few tenths of an inch. Now that I have been using Zero bullets it has been better. The Berry's seemed to fluctuate more though. I haven't been using any case lube. Would that help make things more consistant? I have heard that the Hornady One Shot lube is the way to go....

One shot IS the way to go.

• 4 months later...

I just started using SD. I have a problem that every 20 or so rounds no primer ends in case.couple of calls to Dillion,pulled primer feeder and got it to spects but still random problem. I am guessing this is common with SD, is this true with other SDs? Thanks blaster

• 1 year later...

As long as I keep everything clean I have had zero problems feeding primers on my SDB. I have one set up for large and one for small primer.

The only difficulty I've ever encountered is seeing into 38/357 cases. They are tall enough that it is tough to see inside. I have returned to loading for these tall cases on my Classic Turret.

My SDB's are great presses and a very reasonable price.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Now a couple of pictures.

_MG_0012.jpg

_MG_0019.jpg

Holy crap... I love this idea. Will be in search of some tubing to fit a 38 case ASAP.

• 1 month later...

So I'm still on the fence about this model or the 550. Only will be reloading handgun, 99.99% will be 9mm. I MIGHT shoot 4-500 rounds every other week depending on who comes with me. That's max amount (unless I'm on vacation of course). Is the extra $$ really worth the upgrades to the 550, or should I keep the savings on the SDB and put that towards more bulk supplies? (when I can find them). Right now I'm looking at around $1k for the press, dies, case gage, manual, 10pk of depriming pins, 4#'s powder, 4k primers (to save on hazmat cost) 1k 124g bullets, Tumbler kit, Scale, caliper, primer tray and a few extra ammo boxes. There's roughly $150 difference between the SDB and 550, not HUGE, but enough to make me rethink if it's necessary. Don't need dies for the SDB nor did I see an option for the 10pk of depriming pins. Of course the extra supplies I haven't really done a ton of shopping around on, as I'm sure I can find better deals once I start digging harder into. This was just a few sites I visited, plus I still need to talk to a few of my LGS to see what they can offer.

I'm looking at $1k for the press, dies, case gage, manual, 10pk of depriming pins, 4#'s powder, 4k primers (to save on hazmat cost) 1k 124g bullets, Tumbler kit, Scale, caliper, primer tray and a few extra ammo boxes. There's roughly $150 difference between the SDB and 550,

To load 900 rounds of 9mm/month, there is NO advantage to the 550, and the savings is actually closer to $225, I believe - That's worth it.

I'm looking at $1k for the press, dies, case gage, manual, 10pk of depriming pins, 4#'s powder, 4k primers (to save on hazmat cost) 1k 124g bullets, Tumbler kit, Scale, caliper, primer tray and a few extra ammo boxes. There's roughly $150 difference between the SDB and 550,

To load 900 rounds of 9mm/month, there is NO advantage to the 550, and the savings is actually closer to $225, I believe - That's worth it.

I agree.

I dont buy that anyone can load ammo faster on a 550 than a SDB. The facts just don't add up. I've loaded on both, and there really is no time savings on a 550.

FYI, ive been using the same depriming pin for over 2 years now. Never had an issue with it. I load close to 2k rounds a month.

I agree.

I dont buy that anyone can load ammo faster on a 550 than a SDB. The facts just don't add up. I've loaded on both, and there really is no time savings on a 550.

FYI, ive been using the same depriming pin for over 2 years now. Never had an issue with it. I load close to 2k rounds a month.

Great deal guys!! I'm actually not looking so much on speed of production as I am on literally just having fun learning and then shooting what I make only to make my accuracy better in the long long. I'm so glad that this forum is here where people can give honest opinions and not "push" the bigger badder faster machines on new guys because they THINK they are the better knower of things! I don't have a small workbench but not a great big one (4x8 and another that is 3x6) so sure I could get a bigger machine if $$ were there, but my philosophy in life is it isn't always necessary to "Super Size" your order every time. Sometimes it's just nice to go with small and simple if it'll get the job done! I figured for $6 bucks though getting the 10pack of those pins would just be nice in if I happen to screw up and break one. My question is will the ones offered on Brian's site work on the SDB dies, as I didn't see them offered under the SDB accessories page? Biggest issue right now for me (and everyone else) is just finding that dog gone powder. That's what I'm waiting for before I make any type of purchase right now. Thanks guys!

I agree.

Great deal guys!! I'm actually not looking so much on speed of production as I am on literally just having fun learning and then shooting what I make only to make my accuracy better in the long long. I'm so glad that this forum is here where people can give honest opinions and not "push" the bigger badder faster machines on new guys because they THINK they are the better knower of things! I don't have a small workbench but not a great big one (4x8 and another that is 3x6) so sure I could get a bigger machine if $$ were there, but my philosophy in life is it isn't always necessary to "Super Size" your order every time. Sometimes it's just nice to go with small and simple if it'll get the job done! I figured for $6 bucks though getting the 10pack of those pins would just be nice in if I happenstance to screw up and break one. My question is will the ones offered on Brian's site work on the SDB dies, as I didn't see them offered under the SDB accessories page? Biggest issue right now for me (and everyone else) is just finding that dog gone powder. That's what I'm waiting for before I make any type of purchase right now. Thanks guys!

You will love the sdb and a plus is the auto index feature that u don't get on the 550. I have two set up on my bench one in 9 and one in .40. If all set up with primer tubes loaded and supplies on hand I have loaded 500 rounds in 52 minutes. No need for the 550 unless u will be switching calibers. Good luck with your purchase!

I agree.

Agree that a 10pk of depriming pins is probably a waste of money. I use mine 2-3 times a week for about a year now and no broken pin, started with 9mm and now also 45 ACP. I do recommend getting the spare parts kit, which among other things includes two spare pins. Really came in handy when I lost my detent ball the first time I changed the shell plate for a new caliber :).

http://www.dillonprecision.com/content/p/9/pid/23521/catid/3

Edited by sdbreload

Never used an SDB so I can't comment. I do have a 550 and love it now that I have it correctly operating (or should I say I have myself assembling it correctly). My wife and I shoot approximately 750, give or take a few, 9mm per week. I'm already thinking on a 650 with a Double Alpha bullet feeder.

I like the idea above of routing the spent primers through a tube instead of the little cup which some of them miss. I think I have a simpler design for it. If it works I'll put it up here.

Well the tax man just deposited my much anticipated refund....HOWEVER with the shortage of powders I may still hold off on the "main" purchase till I can secure SOMETHING. I have 2 gun & knife shows this month in my area. Figured I would try them and see if I can get something locally. After that getting the rest of the main components shouldn't be to difficult then I'll make my SDB purchase from Brian. I have other questions, but will post them in the appropriate area. Thanks everyone for the feedback and I too will be copying the above suggestion on the primer feed tube! Awesome idea!!

I just started using SD. I have a problem that every 20 or so rounds no primer ends in case.couple of calls to Dillion,pulled primer feeder and got it to spects but still random problem. I am guessing this is common with SD, is this true with other SDs? Thanks blaster

This is not a problem on mine and I have loaded thousands of rounds. Every so often I go over my press and I inspect it and lube where necessary. Check your anvil to see if it is bent, also check the brass bearing to make sure it is true and turns free. One other check, make sure the plastic tip at the bottom of the feed tube is not broken or worn. You will need to remove the auto prime to look at thes things.

• 3 months later...

I'm new to reloading and I just purchased a used SD(B?), I think is the older version because my powder measure uses springs. I had to set it up from scratch since the old owner had it in storage. I have it setup for 9mm, but I'm not 100% sure if the setup is correct.

Should the shell plate touch the powder funnel even if there is no case on Station 2?

Which parts should I lube and with what?

Thanks in advance

P.S. I can't send it to dillon since I live outside the U.S., so that's out of the question.

There is a stickied thread in the "Dillon Machine" section that is all about what to lube and with what for each of the machines. And as I recall yes it is normal for the powder funnel to touch the shellplate even without a case in that position. If you do not have a manual you can download it from Dillon.

Brian