WHERE IS ALL THE POWDER

joedirt

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For the ppl shooting minor. I have TG and clay dot. I will be loading up some 147's next week. What do you prefer?

Titegroup works wonderfully under a 147 for a powder puff load.

It has two downsides. First, many other dirty powders leave a soft soot on everything. Titegroup leaves a baked on carbon deposit that you need some elbow grease with a brass brush to get off the back of the barrel and the breechface. Not a big deal, but it's there.

The second downside is that it smokes a LOT under lead or coated bullets because it's burn temp is so freaking hot. Your gun gets noticeably warmer after a few quick stages than it will with most other powders.

Under FMJs titegroup is a very hard powder to beat.

Under lead or coated bullets I've used (not clay DOT) Clays with great success. Smoky, but not too bad. Accurate. Soft. If Clays and Clay Dot behave similarly, I'd choose it over titegroup for non-jacketed loads since I shoot them indoors and on outdoor ranges where I may have to shoot into the sun in the morning. If you don't care if your ammo is smoky, then by all means run lead bullets with titegroup.

One more thing... Clays and Clay Dot I believe are both very very fast and peaky with 147s. I have heard on the internet that they are very similar powders. Verify this yourself. If so: If you have a CZ or M&P or similar gun with a short chamber I'd choose Titegroup due to the smaller case volume, since you'll be loading shorter than 1.110" unless you're shooting an FMJ bullet. (Lead 124s and 147s tend to be FN profiles which can't be loaded as long) If you're shooting a Glock or a 9mm 1911 which will eat 1.060" length rounds like candy, I'd personally be much more comfortable with Clays or Clay Dot. My M&Ps Apex barrel has a been throated to 1.150" specifically to make me more comfortable playing with super fast powders. That's as long as the magazines will let me load my ammo.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Thanks for the help. I'm running a grand power x cal. I got some 147 xtreams on the way. I'm not worried about smoke. I'm going to work up a load w clay dot but I have read 3.2 is great. I load 3.2 under a 115 for bunny farts with no pf. If I can make minor with the same charge I will be set!

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Pretty much whatever powder you want is available -- even Clays. I haven't seen Solo 1000 in forever, but everything thing else pops up, and whether or not you find it is dependent on how often you search and how diligent your searches are.

People are going to bitch because this is the "where is the powder" thread.

But I'm bored so here's my answer:

For 9mm: N320, titegroup, W231/HP38

For .45ACP: N310, WST, Ramshot Comp

• 1 month later...

Solo 1000 was discontinued several years ago. Had TOO much powder from the vendor (had 2 different cargo ship loads) they couldn't sell because of it's inconsistent burn. Same thing happen to the Solo 1250.

Made lots of people sad.

Solo 1000 was discontinued several years ago. Had TOO much powder from the vendor (had 2 different cargo ship loads) they couldn't sell because of it's inconsistent burn. Same thing happen to the Solo 1250.

Made lots of people sad.

First I heard this, I wonder why it is still listed on Accurate's website if it was discontinued several years ago:

http://www.accuratepowder.com/products/shotshell/?view=2&product=Solo1000

What?!? Discontinued? That sucks... was always my favorite powder but I finally gave up and called Grafs today since I haven't seen my April 2014 backorder... I was told they haven't had it in Stock since August? Or October ? Can't remember... but the year was definitely 2013!!! So ordered the last two jugs of e3 they had.

What?!? Discontinued? That sucks... was always my favorite powder but I finally gave up and called Grafs today since I haven't seen my April 2014 backorder... I was told they haven't had it in Stock since August? Or October ? Can't remember... but the year was definitely 2013!!! So ordered the last two jugs of e3 they had.

Oh... he also didn't mention it had been discontinued... he said he suspected it was being used in mass quantity by shotgun shell manufacturers... for the hell of it I kept 2 jugs back ordered... maybe I'll get a surprise shipment in 5 years or so [emoji1]

A close friend talked to the importer/distributor (Accurate) and was told the above info a couple of years ago. That's why I moved on.

Call or email Accurate and ask them.

I did just that and spoke to Western Powders. Solo 1000 has not been discontinued. It is being manufactured in Spain and recent production has not been sold for retail sale because it has not met their standards (and the parameters of their load guide) so it has only been purchased and used by bulk users (ammunition manufacturers) as they can do their own testing and make adjustments as needed.

Western Powders is working on the issue, have held meetings with the manufacturer and plan to test the next batch to ensure it meets their standards so they can sell it via retail.

A close friend talked to the importer/distributor (Accurate) and was told the above info a couple of years ago. That's why I moved on.

Call or email Accurate and ask them.

I did just that and spoke to Western Powders. Solo 1000 has not been discontinued. It is being manufactured in Spain and recent production has not been sold for retail sale because it has not met their standards (and the parameters of their load guide) so it has only been purchased and used by bulk users (ammunition manufacturers) as they can do their own testing and make adjustments as needed.

Western Powders is working on the issue, have held meetings with the manufacturer and plan to test the next batch to ensure it meets their standards so they can sell it via retail.

Interesting. Thanks for the info!

• 3 weeks later...

For the Alliant fans out there - Wideners is having a sale on a bunch of powders including e3, Promo, Red Dot, and BE-86. (BTW - for those missing Solo1000 you might want to try Alliant American Select...which of course isn't on sale. I was a Solo fan, but after trying American Select I wouldn't go back to S1K even if it becomes available again. YMMV)

Also, some of their Hodgdon powders are on sale.