Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

single stack major gun?

GJGary

I have been looking for my first 1911 and would like it to be half way decent for USPSA competition, already shoot production with a CZ.

The 2 options I have at this moment is a Para Elite target or the STI Spartan with are identical in price, I would like yo stick in this price range but the guns are not set in stone.

Any options would be helpful.

Whatever you buy is really just a good starting platform. You will end up changing trigger (for length if nothing else), adding a mag well, possibly changing safeties, etc. Find a fair deal on one, then buy ammo! :)

Here's a vote for the Springfield Armory Range Officer. Same price range. Same comment about quality in the right places without fancy finish. Lifetime warranty.

I'm sure the same can be said for the other guns, but my RO runs like a top, has eaten everything I've fed it, and is amazingly accurate. I really believe their marketing material that says, "It is built with the same quality as the TRP™ and Trophy Match™ models, but Springfield has removed the “extras” that result

in a higher price."
Not sure what the others come with for factory magazines. The RO comes with two 7-rounders so you'd need all new magazines for competition. I tried Chip McCormick Power Mags first and haven't had any issues to cause me to try anything else.

Another vote for the SA Range Officer. Additionally, if I were looking at the STIs, I would spend the couple extra bucks and buy the Trojan vs Sparten. Initially quality is better and it is not that much more.

If you are considering a .40, I would go with the Trojan or the new Para Pro Comp. I have one of the Para guns and it is fit well and accurate. I did polish up the internals and installed an SV short flat trigger and DP Ice magwell though.

Advantage of .40 over .45 is easier to go minor for steel and plinking loads, and availability of brass. If you go the .40 route, Tripp 10mm mags and long loads (1.185+) are the ticket.

Regards,

Mads

You can't miss fast enough

As a recent buyer in your same boat, my final choices were between the RO, Spartan, and Trojan. I probably would have went with the RO but I found the Spartan last minute for hell of a deal so I ended up with that and so far I am not disappointed. The extra money I saved is going into the gun and for more press accessories.

If I would of found a better deal on the RO I think that is what I would have chose for the price range, but once again, I am not disappointed with the Spartan or the 1911 platform. It is great!

I just picked up an Elite Target and it is a very tight gun (in a good way) and the fit/finish is excellent. Now I just need to wait for the rain to stop for a while so that I can actually shoot it!

Another vote for the Springfield Armory R.O. I have a Spartan too and it works 100% of the time but it's not an accurate pistol. My last purchase was an STI Duty One 5.0. It's a definite keeper but expensive.

STI Spartan, 5 Chip McC mags $743 shipped

I'll add grips and put 500 rounds then consider additions to the gun so any thoughts of what additions from you Spartan owners.

Any suggestions on grip with pics.

Dawson ICE magwell would be nice addition for little cost, as well as a few extra mags. Can't remember if you need pads with the CMC mags, but I like the Dawson pads on my Wilson mags, so theres that. Congrats on the purchase.

how are the Sig 40s performing? There are several for sale on GBroker. I dont see them selling or anyone biding on them.

The Para Pro Comp 40 SS gun is sold all the time on GBroker. And there is only one or two for sale at a time. I have seen a few used ParaPComp guns on GBroker.

Check out the SIG 1911's. A lot of gun for the money.

I had the same choice to make recently and went with the Spartan. Its been good so far. One thing to keep in mind when budgeting is the price to truly get your setup up and going. I was close to getting the Trojan instead but the accessories add up fast and I realized I'd be over budget when everything was added up. Make sure to figure in the cost of a belt, holster, mag pouches, 6-7 mags, and a magwell. I also just added an extended mag release to my gun which has helped a lot.

Thanks MGM that is why I ended up with the Spartan $617 shipped. Needed another set up you listed but didn't think of the extended mag release, where did you get yours? Did you do anything with the trigger ?

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks MGM that is why I ended up with the Spartan $617 shipped. Needed another set up you listed but didn't think of the extended mag release, where did you get yours? Did you do anything with the trigger ?

I got the Wilson extended release. Pretty sure i ordered it from Brownell's. Haven't done anything with the trigger. It was great out of the box for me.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk