Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Remington Heavy Dove loads sepperation

JDMarshall

I've shot 1-1/2 cases of 7.5 Remington Heavy Dove loads. Just recently I have experienced the brass base separating on these last few boxes of shells. I have had this happen on my over and under and recently with my versamax which cost me about 20 sec on a qualifier.

I'm about to throw the last few boxes away and move to AA or something. Has anyone else had this experience with Remington Heavy Dove?

I shoot quite a bit of Remington Heavy Dove. I don't do 1000rd shotgun torture tests like Jesse T, but I run through at least a case a month and they've always worked great for me since I started using them 7-8 years ago. My shotgun is a Benelli M2, in case you were wondering.

Don't throw them out - if you don't want them, I'll take them off your hands.

JD like I said when we were talking Sunday I shoot 7.5 Heavy Dove exclusively and haven't had that problem in my Versamax or my MKA-1919. When I saw your post I wished we had dug out my boxes and yours and seen if there were any differences? Maybe a bad batch from Remington?

I'm thinking I had to work down to a bad batch as I had already shot one and a half cases of the stuff without problem. The last 8 boxes had me having this problem first with my over and under then my versamax.

Going to save the last boxes to shoot in the wife's coach gun. Did learn that an F150 key will fit right up in the primer hole of the hull and pull it out of the barrel. Lol

• 2 weeks later...

Remington is also having separation problems with their Gunclub shells. I just recently had to send four cases back. Although they were very nice about it, it took a long time to get a response and then I had to wait for them to send me labels, and then wait some more to "verify" that there was a problem. I would stay away from the low-end Remington shells for now.

• 4 weeks later...

The heavy dove are my go to number 6 shot and I haven't had a problem with them the last year. You may have just gotten a bad batch I wouldn't give up on them just yet since they are easy to find at walmart/sporting good stores which is nice.