Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stock 2 short chamber?

bessy

Hey guys,

I've been shooting a limited in 40 for a number of years, and last year I picked up a stockII. I've been working up 9mm loads for this coming season, and I've noticed the chamber on the stock II seems a little short.

I've been loading 135gr bayou bullets with win 231. Almost all the data out there says these should run around 1.135 for COL. When I load to that length the projectile impacts the rifling. slide will not close all the way 100% of the time, and live rounds become difficult to extract by hand. I've backed off my COL to 1.105 and now everything seems 100%. My loads don't seem to be showing pressure signs, my FPS didn't creep up to much from shortening them. I'm a little tentative about straying this far from established load data. Thoughts?

One of the things I liked best about my limited 40 was that the chamber was very forgiving, anyone else notice their 9mm stock II's having a tighter/shorter chamber? anyone ream them out a little? I know this is common complaint with cz's. Another data point all rounds chamber fine in my EGW case gauge... just not in the stock II barrel.

Here is my load data for anyone looking

Brass mixed | Powder win 231 3.6-3.7gr | Bayou 135gr | COL = 1.135 | FPS = 977 | pf =132 rounds hang up on rifling

Brass mixed | Powder win 231 3.6-3.7gr | Bayou 135gr | COL = 1.105 | FPS = 1000 | pf =135 rounds chamber fine.

I ran into the same issue yesterday with 147gr Frontier FP plated restrike bullets. Approx the same COL. The rounds pass the case gauge test and they worked ok in my Glock 17 so my stock III has shorter chamber.

My Ares 153gr FP works ok in the same COL but they are a bit slimmer in the front.

I now use 3.5gr N330 and will try 3.3gr N320 and deeper seated bullets. These are light loads so I hope it will work out ok.

Edited by joakim

Glad to know it's not just my gun. I have a few friends that had similar issues with their cz's. They ended up getting their chambers reamed out, which is why I asked.

Accuracy is good with my current shortened loads.. so provided they are safe I really have no complaints.

I could run MG 124 FMJ's out to 1.165 if i wanted to in my CZ SP01, and that gun has a short leade ( which is what you're talking about - the distance from the end of the chamber to the rifling. ).

With the Stock 2, same bullets, MG 124 FMJ, I can only load out to 1.140 before i start failing the barrel drop test ( drop bullet in barrel, turn barrel over, bullet doesn't drop out ).

So yes, you will need to load Stock shorter than most guns.

This is with FMJ's which usually have an Ogive narrower than JHP's, so with JHP, you will be really short.

Just keep an eye out for flat primers and signs of overpressure and you'll be fine.

Xtremes I can run standard length, PowerBond's I could not (they had to be much shorter). Whether a bullet drags on the mouth depends on both the bullet diameter and the shape. If the bullet is stubbier you need to load shorter.

All of my 9mm Match and 9mm Limited barrels would not take a 125 HAP any longer than 1.07. I got a Dave Manson throating reamer and reamed them out to now accept a HAP at 1.14. It was very easy with the excellent reamer that Dave sent. The match barrels will take the standard 9mm reamer but the Limited barrels with polygon bores required a reamer with a rotating pilot sized to go in the bore.

Thanks for all the info guys. For right now I'm going to just load appropriately. The loads I tested at 135pf didnt' show any pressure signs, and appear to be far more accurate than I am. I appreciate all the help!

My match gun is the same, short forcing cone. Especially when loading short TC bullets I have to load very short. My practice gun is more forgiving and the rounds that hang a little in my match gun will fall in and out of the practice gun. If you can get by with a little shorter COL I personally would not start reaming out the chamber.

My girlfriend's first CZ Shadow was a tight as a virgin's uhhhh sorry.... you get the picture! It could practically only shoot factory ammo none of our reloads worked.

• 3 weeks later...

I also use Bayou 135gr with 231 but have to load them at 1.085"

1. Thank you so much for this... I was beginning to think I was going crazy. I've been getting mine to run with a COL of around 1.095, but some rounds still stick just a hair.. not enough to cause functional issues just enough to make chamber checking annoying.

2. What weight powder charge are you running 3.6 seems to be what I'm at right now.

• 2 years later...

I run bayou 135gr 9mm with 3.7 - 3.8gr of ETR7 (similar to tightgroup).

I had to load to 1.060" to consistently pass plunk across 3 tanfos. After reaming  by Grams Engineering, i could load 1.165 , but i settled on 1.125.

They run 132pf  and a standard deviation of 12-14.

If you run 1.09 and occasionally sticks, you WILL get a light strike if you run light springs. Probably on a classifier that you are  crushing! At least, that would be my luck!

Do yourself a favor, send it out for corrective surgery.

On 04/14/2014 at 2:50 PM, bessy said:

1. Thank you so much for this... I was beginning to think I was going crazy. I've been getting mine to run with a COL of around 1.095, but some rounds still stick just a hair.. not enough to cause functional issues just enough to make chamber checking annoying.

2. What weight powder charge are you running 3.6 seems to be what I'm at right now.

• 3 years later...

Resurrecting an old topic, but with a twist. My five year old Stock II has recently started to give me problems with failure to chamber. As far as I know nothing had changed with my ammunition, the problem occurs after about 50 rounds from fresh cleaned with either my standard reloads or with factory Geco, both using 124 gr round nose projectiles. Changing to truncated cone bullets the problem goes away!

Questions, why has it only recently started and how do I fix it?

On 3/24/2014 at 4:17 PM, joakim said:

I ran into the same issue yesterday with 147gr Frontier FP plated restrike bullets. Approx the same COL. The rounds pass the case gauge test and they worked ok in my Glock 17 so my stock III has shorter chamber.

My Ares 153gr FP works ok in the same COL but they are a bit slimmer in the front.

I now use 3.5gr N330 and will try 3.3gr N320 and deeper seated bullets. These are light loads so I hope it will work out ok.

Try the 147 Frontier FP at OAL of 27mm! Try it with 3,5 gn of Lovex D032 (if available in Sweden) this load is the best out of My shadow 2 and is recommended by German magazine Caliber! I like it lot's! PF 132, soft and accurate!

On 6/7/2020 at 2:48 PM, Fasthenk65 said:

Try the 147 Frontier FP at OAL of 27mm! Try it with 3,5 gn of Lovex D032 (if available in Sweden) this load is the best out of My shadow 2 and is recommended by German magazine Caliber! I like it lot's! PF 132, soft and accurate!

That’s a 147 loaded at an OAL of 1.062. Of course it fits the chamber... 🙄😂

I’d rather cut my chamber to allow the gun to feed longer ammo. Particularly since I have a great source of mixed-age 9mm brass. You see, once a case has been loaded a few times you’ll find a lot of them may bulge. You’ll find a belly develop on the side when you’re shoving a bullet that long so deeply into your brass.

Loading 147 to 1.140 results in far FAR fewer case gauge failures than stuffing it back to 1.160-1.090” territory.

I don’t even know how many Tanfo, Shadow 1&2, Glock 5th gen, and Walther barrels I have cut for my guns and a few friends. Dozens.

@PhilTerry pull the barrel and drop the offending round into the chamber. Does it drop in and spin freely without resistance? If not, you’ve probably found your problem. ;) 

Edited by MemphisMechanic

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Tanfoglio Limited Elite in 9mm. Its a sweet gun but I have reliability problems with my reloads. I use 147 gr Bayou FN or 124 gr Berry FMJRN. My OAL on both is 1.15. Generally I have no feed problems but at least 1 or 2 times a match there is a failure to feed (I think due to the mag not the chamber) as well as light strikes. I think I solved the light strikes with MM's shim idea under the primer cam. How about these mags? Amy thoughts?

thanks