Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ever notice how...

benos

• 2 months later...

Of course we all have problems in life. And to ignore them is Zen?

SayI lost my job and the bank is going to foreclose on the house. How is not thinking about that going to make it better?

Of course we all have problems in life. And to ignore them is Zen?

SayI lost my job and the bank is going to foreclose on the house. How is not thinking about that going to make it better?

I think the point is, how to channel them out when we need to concentrate on the issue at hand. Unless a person lives the perfect life (I would like to meet this person, because I think it is likely the unicorn)

The other thing that I think is interesting, is how some require the drama in the background in order to concentrate on the current. I guess it is the same as white noise.

I've learned from experience that it is best to reserve thinking for things that I am going to do. Like making a grocery list, planning a trip, etc. After the list or plan is made, remain unattached if the list or plan is unfulfilled, for any reason.

For everything else - worry or troublesome thoughts about the past of future - let them go immediately upon noticing their arrival.

I've learned from experience that it is best to reserve thinking for things that I am going to do. Like making a grocery list, planning a trip, etc. After the list or plan is made, remain unattached if the list or plan is unfulfilled, for any reason.

For everything else - worry or troublesome thoughts about the past of future - let them go immediately upon noticing their arrival.

Similarly I have learned to reserve thinking for things I can affect. There is no sense in worrying about things outside of our scope of control or about things which have already happened. Focus needs to be on the here and now rather than worrying about what could or should have been.

Similarly I have learned to reserve thinking for things I can affect. There is no sense in worrying about things outside of our scope of control or about things which have already happened. Focus needs to be on the here and now rather than worrying about what could or should have been.

:cheers: to that!

I should mention that my comment was focused on stressful times in life; however, I think this shows up in a big way while shooting USPSA. For example, dwelling on previous errors during a stage can in effect compound them leading to the infamous "crash and burn."

I related concept in the business world is that of sunk cost. A sunk cost is a cost that an entity has already incurred, and which it can no longer recover by any means. Because of this sunk costs are not relevant when considering whether or not to continue to invest in an ongoing project. It doesn't matter how much we have spent in the past, all that matters is what investments make sense at this point and time.

Going back a bit more towards the original topic I think everyone knows someone who's life is in a constant state of crisis; however, others with similar trials seem to go on unscathed. The fact is bad things are going to happen and others will be unkind and selfish. That is something that we largely cannot control. What we can, however, control is how we react to these challenges and how much we let them affect us. I consider a major turning point in my life to be the day that I decided that I really didn't care what others thought about me because I liked myself and who I was. Others can take that or leave it but I refuse to let someone else's attitude affect my own sense of self worth.

I should mention that my comment was focused on stressful times in life; however, I think this shows up in a big way while shooting USPSA. For example, dwelling on previous errors during a stage can in effect compound them leading to the infamous "crash and burn."

I related concept in the business world is that of sunk cost. A sunk cost is a cost that an entity has already incurred, and which it can no longer recover by any means. Because of this sunk costs are not relevant when considering whether or not to continue to invest in an ongoing project. It doesn't matter how much we have spent in the past, all that matters is what investments make sense at this point and time.

Going back a bit more towards the original topic I think everyone knows someone who's life is in a constant state of crisis; however, others with similar trials seem to go on unscathed. The fact is bad things are going to happen and others will be unkind and selfish. That is something that we largely cannot control. What we can, however, control is how we react to these challenges and how much we let them affect us. I consider a major turning point in my life to be the day that I decided that I really didn't care what others thought about me because I liked myself and who I was. Others can take that or leave it but I refuse to let someone else's attitude affect my own sense of self worth.

Well said

• 2 weeks later...

I think this is really good, the more I can stay in this frame of mind the more contented I am. Obviously some concern over details ect, in life needs to happen but the reverse of the above causes misery.

All of our problems begin the moment we start to think about them.

be

That goes back to the old "if a tree falls and nobody hears it, does it make a sound" thing. If we are not aware of a problem we have, do we actually have a problem?

Well.... yes we do. Awareness catches up with reality eventually and the problem that was there all along says "hello!".

Edited by bountyhunter

be

That goes back to the old "if a tree falls and nobody hears it, does it make a sound" thing. If we are not aware of a problem we have, do we actually have a problem?

Well.... yes we do. Awareness catches up with reality eventually and the problem that was there all along says "hello!".

Yes, anyone that has panic attacks will back that up.

be

Yes, anyone that has panic attacks will back that up.

Funny about panic attacks..... I have kaiser medical coverage and their solution is always to minimize everything. About 20 years ago I started having heart arrythmias of various types (super ventrichular tachycardia and VTAC runs) and I was telling my doctor that my heart sometimes felt like it was jumping out of my chest.... and he immediately concluded it was panic attacks, labeled me a nut case and wouldn't treat them.

My wife worked as the Director of Cardiac Services at another hospital and she brought home a Holter portable heart rhythm recorder and she "taped" about four hours of my heart and then we paid out of pocket to have one of her people transcribe and print it out so I could show the results to my doc at Kaiser.

Turns out my "panic attack" showed up as over 700 ventricular arrhythmias in a four hour period. I eventually got some drugs that control it.

Sometimes a panic attack is not really....

I guess my opinion is that reality exists independently of perception. And it's reality no matter what we think it is. I guess that's boring and not very zen.

Edited by bountyhunter

It's funny this thread was started

I have always had the mind of building a better mouse trap on all my hobbies, guess that comes from work ? I have always over thought things, lately I have been in a huge slump, and I cought myself thinking a stage over and over on how to game it out when I don't really think now it was there to game, and as I think back to when my slump started, I have over thought stages and ended up bombing them, but I have always been the risk taker too, so to help myself when I walk up and look at a stage, I go with the first plan now and don't watch the first few shooters to see how they done it so I won't change my mind. I have the ability to do this, I just think myself out of it.

• 2 years later...
  • 9 months later...