Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bayou 180gr Powder Choice for Major

SSGJohnV

Hello All,

I have an STI Edge inbound in a few days along with some Bayou 180 grain TC.

I've been using 165 grain Berrys or Xtreme's to make major with Longshot, although there is considerable flash and it took like 6.7 grains to get there. I was wanting to try another more economical powder to make major in my new Limited STI.

Powders I have on hand in any quantity:

-800x

-Clays

-Longshot

-VV3N37

-Trail Boss (ha, just kidding)

-about 1/3 pound of Zip

-Red Dot

I've used 3N37 to make major with 165 grain plated, but it was loud and flashy. I'm in Alaska, so mail ordering powder is kind of out the door. I'm limited to what I can find on the shelves.

Should I try to make clays work, or should I just accept the limitations of longshot and 3N37 and make do? Thanks.

-John

Trail Boss rules -- but not for .40 and trying to make major in .45 ACP.

Congrats on the Edge. They are fantastic pistols. Another powder to try, if you can find it, is e3. It will make major easily. 3.9g of e3 with a Bayou 180 should be good. I tried working up some loads with Red Dot with my son's Para P16-40 and while it will make major I didn't like the feel of it.

I've switched everything over to e3 except for bunny far loads for steel challenge. For those I still use Trail Boss.

I have a line on a pound or 2 of W-231 and I use it for .38 special anyhow, so I'm going to pick it up today from a small distributor up here. I asked about clays powder and he said they don't exist anymore as the plant burned down last year...I'm not going to say anything, just take my powder and drive on.

I look forward to being in the lower 48 again if only for mail order powder and primer.

Picked up a pound of HP-38 and a pound of Autocomp today. Going to play with the loads to get what I need. If there is anything I need to know about using autocomp, I would appreciate the info. Thanks for the input so far.

Ok. I worked up some HP-38 loads today when my Bayous came in.

Data:

180 grain Bayou TC

Winchester SPP

HP-38 @

OAL 1.175

I cross referenced my loading manual and all seems OK. Will see how accuracy and chrono goes.

Looking up data for autocomp is a bit harder. Book says 5.6-6.2 with a Berrys 180 grain at SAAMI OAL. Where should I start? Worth the trouble?

• 2 weeks later...