Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why are Salomon shoes so popular for shooters?

JPG

I like the Speedcross but I'm less than impressed with the tread life. My current pair I've worn since Jan 2015. The soles are nearly slick now.

I made it a point only to wear them at matches.

I'm still leaning toward full cleats.

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a pair and promptly sold them. Granted, they are light weight... but they are definitely very narrow. You may get buy with buying a larger size to accommodate a wide foot, but my problem with them was the spikes were just not aggressive enough... especially when you compete in loose sand (Florida) or in muddy conditions. Rubber football spikes are better for these conditions.

But, i will say, for stages on wooden platforms that might be wet/damp, those rubber soles definitely give more traction than my football spikes!!

Last month I bought a pair of Inov8 RockLite 295 standard fit (their "precision fit" is the standard width, and "standard fit" is 2E) and could not be happier. After 8 hours at the range, my bunion don't feel a thing. Great traction on all surfaces. My 2 pairs of SpeedCross and 1 pair of FellRaiser now sit in the garage collecting dust. If anyone interested, I can sell them to you, all in size 9, barely worn.

i'm going to be a contraian and say that I have had a bad experience with my Salomon boots - the treads dry-rotted and their customer service dept has been giving me the run-around - told me to email pics to a specific email address which bounced as not valid.

IMHO, the Inov-8 Mud Claws are waaay better.

• 1 year later...

Just had my latest pair on stretchers for two weeks.  Yes, I now, nylon does not stretch as well as leather, but it DOES stretch, and the difference is really nice.

I never could get salomons to fit right, I ended up using Altra lone peaks which have a wider toe box for a more natural foot shape. They are a full mesh upper so they dry quick but sand and dust can get in and make your socks/feet dirty but that's a trade off I don't really mind. I really like them for hiking, and shooting. SO much that I have been wearing them almost on a daily basis.

Decided to give the Speedcross a try.  Very impressed so far after a month of use.  I needed some footwear and I'm picky about my feet.  These things are damn comfortable and get some good traction.  

I can see why they are so popular in the sport........even though i only see a handful of guys wearing them at my local matches. 

• 3 weeks later...

After finding several pairs of North Face's version of waterproof, easy clean,trail running shoes for under $100, I can't justify spending money on the Solomons anymore.  The cheap Solomons feel cheap and there are plenty of other options.  

• 2 weeks later...

I paid $80 for a pair off Amazon.  I wore the Speedcross 4 for the first time this last Sunday.  Wow..... Very comfortable.  My feet were not sore and they actually felt decent.  My Nike football cleats are now a backup pair of shooting shoes.

On 1/22/2016 at 2:08 PM, polymerfeelsweirdman said:

What I'd really like is just to have some flat black or sneaker type colors like white with red accents rather than the crazy colors these types of shoes come in

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_3437261_-1?gclid=CITjiI6OgdUCFd64wAodqbIJtQ

$40. More comfortable to a foot that's halfway between D and E widths than (I'm "semi wide" if that's a thing)...

And they come in plain ol' gray. There are two colors to choose from on that site.

Terrific traction for the price and they run true to size.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

On 7/11/2017 at 7:22 AM, MemphisMechanic said:

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_3437261_-1?gclid=CITjiI6OgdUCFd64wAodqbIJtQ

$40. More comfortable to a foot that's halfway between D and E widths than (I'm "semi wide" if that's a thing)...

And they come in plain ol' gray. There are two colors to choose from on that site.

Terrific traction for the price and they run true to size.

Those look pretty good

I have also looked at the asics online and they seem nice too

Next pair I get might have to be speedcross 4 goretex though, it seems like they fixed all the things I dislike (and my range always gets disgustingly muddy)