Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shtf home defense rounds

Dww

Hey all,

Been into reloading about a month and loaded and used about 1000 rounds of 9mm with no problems

I was wondering if its possible to load your own hollow points for home defense only (not carry) for use in

An emergency worst case senario situation.

Also, does anyone have experience and or reference to load data for AA no 2 powder for 147 gr 9mm?

Thanks

Why would it not be possible?

If it's a good idea or not is a matter of much debate, and only you can decide.

Hornady XTP or Speer Gold Dot bullets are available for those looking for them, though.

Hey all,

Been into reloading about a month and loaded and used about 1000 rounds of 9mm with no problems

I was wondering if its possible to load your own hollow points for home defense only (not carry) for use in

Also, does anyone have experience and or reference to load data for AA no 2 powder for 147 gr 9mm?

Thanks

Yes, but its not a good idea from a legal standpoint. You probably wouldn't have much of a problem with the police or the district attorney's office. The real problem would likely be in a civil suit for wrongful death. There you'd probably win too, but several good attorney's told me before I retired that they would charge at least $10,000 (for a friend) for this kind of case. The other side's attorney will argue (among other things) that you intentionally created inhumane and cruel ammunition specifically designed to create maximum damage in his poor misunderstood client or the poor misunderstood recently deceased child/spouse/father of the person suing you.

I suggest you just buy some factory premium defense ammo and use that for carry and home defense or even better get a shotgun for home defense.

Hey all,

Thanks

Yes, but its not a good idea from a legal standpoint. You probably wouldn't have much of a problem with the police or the district attorney's office. The real problem would likely be in a civil suit for wrongful death. There you'd probably win too, but several good attorney's told me before I retired that they would charge at least $10,000 (for a friend) for this kind of case. The other side's attorney will argue (among other things) that you intentionally created inhumane and cruel ammunition specifically designed to create maximum damage in his poor misunderstood client or the poor misunderstood recently deceased child/spouse/father of the person suing you.

I suggest you just buy some factory premium defense ammo and use that for carry and home defense or even better get a shotgun for home defense.

Yes, get one of those humane and kind shotguns...

:)

We just had a big discussion, here, about a month ago re: using handloads for self defense.

Up to you - but you might want to to back and read those words of wisdom.

Since I use very few (NONE) rounds for self defense (fortunately), I don't mind

spending bucks for a box of factory self defense rounds. :cheers:

Hey all,

Thanks

Real life has only somewhat to do with it. Facts are not always in charge. The legal system kicks off any jurors that have expert knowledge of the subjects at issue... think about it. And furthermore, the system is set up to allow only the evidence that is deemed admissible and not prejudicial in court and there is about 200 years of precedent court cases. The vast majority of Supreme Court decisions were good, but a few were ... questionable.

Edited by jmbaccolyte

Hey all,

Thanks

:roflol:

I carry ammunition I have loaded quite often in pistols, rifles and shotguns, never had any legal problems after any of my kills.

Serious bada$$. :goof:

post-22108-0-04777800-1393947205_thumb.j

Edited by Youngeyes

Well, I guess the only things I have killed in defence of my home and property have been animals but I still don't have a problem having reloads in my guns and I wouldn't unload them and find factory ammo to put in them if I needed one for human defence.

I have not seen any specific case, criminal or civil, that reloads played a factor and it's not like my ammunition is "super killer" ammo. in fact it is "less lethal" that many factory loads.

Well, I guess the only things I have killed in defence of my home and property have been animals but I still don't have a problem having reloads in my guns and I wouldn't unload them and find factory ammo to put in them if I needed one for human defence.

I have not seen any specific case, criminal or civil, that reloads played a factor and it's not like my ammunition is "super killer" ammo. in fact it is "less lethal" that many factory loads.

Well, the prosecutor is going to go after you for attempting to maim and permanently hurt their client rather than a humane kill...

Mean old guy here...please buy a loading manual. ALL you seek to know is within its covers.

Guys for the ops original question the way I read it Pat gave the best answer. All loading manual have the data for the projectiles he it talking about.

Hey all,

Thanks

Yes, but its not a good idea from a legal standpoint. You probably wouldn't have much of a problem with the police or the district attorney's office. The real problem would likely be in a civil suit for wrongful death.

If it was a bad shoot, *or* if you live in a state that allows a civil suit in the case of a justified self-defense shoot (many do not allow such suits).

to aswer the original question, it is possible and even pretty easy to load defensive hollowpoint ammo. Or you could just buy a mosin-nagant and 880 rds of surplus ammo, consider the shtf scenario accounted for, and spend the extra money on beer.

Edited by motosapiens

please give an example of a case where that happened

If you are talking to me, I was being facetious as I don't share the same opinion as many that hand loaded self defense ammo is going to make you a perfect target for an ambitious prosecutor and/or a defense attorney in a civil case. Whether I defend my home against an invader with a pistol loaded with factory Speer 9mm +P GDHP or hand loaded Speer 9mm +P GDHP or a 10 gauge shotgun or an AR-10 or a full auto M16, I fail to see where the hand loaded Speer 9mm +P GDHP puts me at a much greater risk for prosecution.

Thanks everyone for all advise and humor" this will prompt me to look into the civil laws concerning home defense in my state. If I ever did need to defend against an attack I would use everthing at my disposal including my handguns. Shooting ball ammo would be far too dangerous in an urban environment, not to mention maybe not effective.

And I won't even ask about dipping my defense rounds in fire ants! Kidding!

Thanks, very informative and entertaining

My point was for the millions of times we have all heard never load ammo for self-defense not once has anyone been able to provide an actual case where it mattered civil or criminal. Anymore I put this in the same category as Bigfoot. I’m done going off topic sorry OP and to answer your question take Pat’s advice, he is right on as usual.

In response to your question. Possible but not a good idea. You can buy Golddot, saber, hornady etc. projectiles and load them but I wouldn't.

The was a legal case a few years ago where a guy shot and killed an intruder in his home. Because he used reloads the burn patterns from the gun powder on the "victim's" clothing did not match the factory burn patterns. So it was decided that he was much closer when he pulled the trigger than his defense stated. End result he lost. This happened on the east coast in the mid 2000's I believe.