Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shtf home defense rounds

Dww

Look here

Also, a friend of mine was involved in a case where a lady sued him because she got hit with a bounce back and blamed it on his "super powerful handloads". He loads for production!!! But the case went through anyway on that basis. Fortunately, he got out of it due to her incompetent lawyer.

Edited by racerba

Thank you for providing more than a story three parties removed from you. I spend a lot of time in court with my job so I’ve accepted that any goofy theory can be brought forward but most get thrown out as the case moves up the system. Rulings in the lower courts can be scary. After years of researching this subject the best summery I’ve heard is this, if you are ever in a self-defense situation you will be arrested, go through court system, and spend a boat load of money defending yourself. Take anything else a bonus.

Questions were asked of cases, I provided them. Take it anyway you want to.

You are an expert, OK. "Most" gets thrown out, OK - but some still persist, right? You still have to spend money to get them thrown out, no?

Considering the possible outcome and possible litigation of the use of handloads, I would not use them for self defense - IMHO. I'm not telling anybody what to do...In "MY" Humble Opinion. It's one less problem I don't need to deal with if it comes to that. So I spend a little more for a box of factory loads that will save me a whole lot more later...no big deal. It all boils down to each individual's decision. All the possible problems have been identified. if you are willing to deal the with the possible consequences, then by all means, put handloads in your gun...for me, it's not worth it.

RDA I think we are making the same point no one is attacking you.

Oh, I definitely didn't feel under attack, I was just clarifying my post in case there was a misunderstanding of my opinion. These discussions are good in my opinion, even if the same old stuff is rehashed, if it gets people to think about both sides, people are better informed in the end.

Carry on. :)

I don't have a side in the argument about handloads vs factory.

So, I got a box of factory ammo, of which I have used exactly zero.

Really? None? You should try them to be sure you are comfortable with them in case you ever did need to use them. Make sure your gun will run them fine, get familiar with the recoil, POA, etc.

:)

My guess is you will be scrutinized if you own reloading equipment.

I shoot factory ammo (Underwood) that has Starline head stamps. I have reloads that have factory (Win, Hornady, Speer, etc.) head stamps. At any given time, I don't know what is in my mags. It just isn't something I am going to worry about.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

How will they know if I shot factory or hand loads?

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

They may not know, but apparently attorney's don't need facts according to all the self-defense reload naysayers, they will attack you anyway they can and make things up as they go and a stupid jury will go along with it. You said in the post prior "My guess is you will be scrutinized if you own reloading equipment" so maybe that is the only opening they need. They'll get a search warrant, search your house, see you have reloading equipment therefore you reloaded "more than lethal" loads to kill their client (whether you did or not)....

How do you know I didn't take 20 factory loads (Speer GDHP), redistribute the powder to increase the individual loads and create 18 rounds with 111% powered otherwise identical factory loads? What difference is that compared to factory Speer GDHP +P loads?

How is Underwood "factory" ammo really any different than your or my reloads? Those Underwood +P+ 124 grain loads look pretty hot? Do those open you up to greater risk than using a Remington self defense load? The hottest, deadliest 9mm load that you could come up with still doesn't come close to rivaling the potential of a 3 1/2" 12 gauge magnum load. What constitutes "factory"? Does a Dillon 1050 user constitute his own "factory" as he can make as many loads as what some of the mom and pop operations make produce?

As many here say, any type of reloads open you up to greater scrutiny, even if the facts don't support it.

As many here say, any type of reloads open you up to greater scrutiny, even if the facts don't support it.

unless it's a good shoot, in which case the law will say 'have a nice day sir, here's your gun'.

I recommend not shooting anyone unless a reasonable person would conclude they *really* need shooting.

A big part of a being an attorney is advising clients on how to reduce their exposure to risk. Although using reloads for defensive rounds may not be a ligitimate issue in a criminal or civil action, it opens up a possibilty that doesn't need to be there. All it takes in one gun-hating and/or sympathetic judge and it's in.

Give me 1k pieces of starline brass, 1k gold dots, the powder and primers of my choice and yes I will have absolute confidence in what I create.

Point well made by the gentleman who said I still have an entire box of unfired self defense rounds.-yes sir I still have the same number of self defense rounds that is started with after firing the first couple boxes as a test.

I read all the internet flash traffic about using handloads and my simple logic is this. At home I keep premium ammo for self defense. However if I were on the way home from the range and my 1911 was loaded with 200 grain swc that I was shooting ...would i hesitate to defend myself? NO

I also believe a man's home is his castle. So if you want to cook up zombie loads for the end of the world...go for it.

in closing if you are involved in a self defense shooting, I hope you have a good lawyers number programmed into your phone, a lot of insurance and funds available for the legal fees. Not a matter of guilt...a matter of resources to prove your were justified.

In the good parts of our country you really don't have to go through much effort at all to prove a home defense shooting was justified. I see where plenty of lethal home defense shootings in my area are closed cases with little to no hassle to the homeowner. Wouldn't make any difference what kind of ammo or weapon they shot the person with...

On the other side of things if you live in an area where you will be hassled over it then be prepared to have anything possible used against you in court.