Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 gun holster - Glock 34

Just picked up a Glock 34 to use in 3 gun Tac Optic/Tac Lim and USPSA Production, and was wondering what everyones opinions on holsters are? I would like to have something that has positive retention for 3 gun (had to DQ a friend last year when his pistol fell out as he was running) but can also be used in USPSA without too much difficulty. A few of the holsters that I have been reading about are the:

Bladetech DOH

Bladetech WRS

Ready Tactical 3 Gun model.

Any other suggestions, opinions on the holsters I have listed already?

Thanks much for your thoughts!

I like the safariland holster with the ALS as it's easy and fast to draw and it's not coming out when you don't want it too. I can draw the ALS and don't feel like I'm giving up time using it or very minimal if that For a uspsa only holster I would say get the doh but it offers zero retention for 3 gun other than friction. The wrs has to be started with the strap engaged for production.

with my glocks i always use the blackhawk serpa for 3gun. super smooth draw after you depress the little button, super secure otherwise.

just got a bladetech WRS for my STI (blackhawk doesn't make anything). super secure but definitely more bulky. and pressing the thingie to release the hood is definitely a harder proposition.

I prefer a non drop holster for 3 gun, with a drop it bounces too much when running for me. I shoot more 3 gun now, so I just ended up using the same holster for USPSA and my DOH just sits.

For retention, the WRS is the way to go. I don't have one, but a lot of guys have gone to them. With the WRS, you can disengage the retention strap if you have a pistol start on a stage. I don't think the other thumb button holsters allow you to do that.

I prefer a non drop holster for 3 gun, with a drop it bounces too much when running for me. I shoot more 3 gun now, so I just ended up using the same holster for USPSA and my DOH just sits.

For retention, the WRS is the way to go. I don't have one, but a lot of guys have gone to them. With the WRS, you can disengage the retention strap if you have a pistol start on a stage. I don't think the other thumb button holsters allow you to do that.

You're right, it doesn't. The problem I had with the WRS is that the holster comes right up to the rear sight of the gun...it requires a relatively higher draw out of the holster.

ALS is always Locked when you put it in the holster but the way the release works makes for a very quick draw you dot even need to think about and it's the same draw regardless as you simply move your thumb toward the back if the holster a little when grabbing the gun and it comes right out

This is the basic holster with the ALS. http://m.dillonprecision.com/mcontent/p/9/catid/22/pid/25869/Safariland_Model_6377_ALS_holster_Glock_34_35

If you want it lower you can add something like this or an even lower one.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/s/safariland-mid?brand=148&cat=99

Mine is mounted on a low ride with a qls on it so the holster can be removed from the attachment.

This is the basic holster with the ALS. http://m.dillonprecision.com/mcontent/p/9/catid/22/pid/25869/Safariland_Model_6377_ALS_holster_Glock_34_35

If you want it lower you can add something like this or an even lower one.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/s/safariland-mid?brand=148&cat=99

Mine is mounted on a low ride with a qls on it so the holster can be removed from the attachment.

Thanks!

I'm using a blade tech wrs and the doh holster for both my 34 and 17. If the stage designs require a lot of movement, then the wrs gets the nod. Just loosen the retention, flip up the hood and run Forest, run...

The doh isn't bad for uspsa stand and draw stuff but for 3 gun with all the movement we do retention means your not worried about loosing your pistol. A lot of the retention holsters don't slow the draw at all and even the hood ones may add .25-.5 second to the draw which your often doing on the move anyway. Your not winning the 3 gun stages with the fast draw or throwing the gun in a barrel in a full sprint but you can sure loose them that way

Thanks for all the replies! Right now I am leaning towards just not being a cheap ass and getting two holsters, no retention for uspsa and retention for 3 gun. Just have to do some dry fire draws with the retention holster before a 3 gun match to get reaquainted with it!

Keep up the replies, lots of good info here.

There have been a couple times when in three gun that I have been running with my rifle in my hands and was worried that my pistol would pop out of the bladetech. I would do the "keep the pistol in with my elbow" thing but I have grown tired of that. Tried the Blackhawk holster but to me pushing the button with my trigger finger didn't feel natural and there was a couple times it just left me vigorously pulling up my pants. When I first tried the ALS, it felt more natural and easy. That is when I knew I found what I needed. It might delay my draw some, but having the ability to run like a normal person I am sure more then makes up for the difference.

I've used a Bladetech DOH in USPSA and 3gun and have never had any problems with it.

Same. It has adjustable retention. I just whip out my knife and tighten/loosen depending on the stage. In a full sprint, I put my hand over the gun just in case, but it's still never come out. You can loosen it all the way for USPSA use and it's super fast.

I've used a Bladetech DOH in USPSA and 3gun and have never had any problems with it.

For what it is worth, everybody who has ever been DQed from a 3-Gun match when a pistol parted ways with a non-retention holster has said this exact same thing at one point or another. In USPSA, you almost always draw the gun immediately after the start signal, so USPSA to 3-Gun is not a very strong comparison. A buddy of mine who had always though the basic Blade-Tech was "good enough" got DQ'ed 12 shots into a major match last year because he outran his pistol. Now he has a retention holster, too...

I've never lost a pistol, but I went with retention (Blade-Tect WRS) a couple of years ago, anyway. For the amount that it costs to attend a major match, a holster is cheap insurance and I am pretty sure the half second (or less) it adds to my draw is never going to affect my place at the prize table. :) Also, I don't want to have to hold a hand on my pistol while running. I want not to have to even think about my pistol until the moment I reach to draw it.

For what it is worth, everybody who has ever been DQed from a 3-Gun match when a pistol parted ways with a non-retention holster has said this exact same thing at one point or another. In USPSA, you almost always draw the gun immediately after the start signal, so USPSA to 3-Gun is not a very strong comparison. A buddy of mine who had always though the basic Blade-Tech was "good enough" got DQ'ed 12 shots into a major match last year because he outran his pistol. Now he has a retention holster, too...

I've never lost a pistol, but I went with retention (Blade-Tect WRS) a couple of years ago, anyway. For the amount that it costs to attend a major match, a holster is cheap insurance and I am pretty sure the half second (or less) it adds to my draw is never going to affect my place at the prize table. :) Also, I don't want to have to hold a hand on my pistol while running. I want not to have to even think about my pistol until the moment I reach to draw it.

I can echo that sentiment. The problem with using a holster which you also use for USPSA is that the retention will get loose, and you may not notice it before a 3 gun match.

Its exactly what happened to me, and 2 weeks later I had a thumb drive holster on my belt.