Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thinking about quitting shooting competitively and selling stuff off

steviesterno

Hey all,

This is my first one of these posts, probably ever. I've read the Slump pages, and I think I agree with a lot of things a lot of people have said, but I'm looking for input.

I've been shooting competitively for probably 6 years or so, and got serious in the last 3. I went from a once monthly IDPA match to a 4-6x a month 3 gunner. I would set up matches, work and shoot them, practice for them, etc. But lately it seems as if I just don't have the desire to even go to one and shoot, much less work it.

Over the last 18 months, I moved across the country and got a job I really love. It is, however, time consuming. So much so that I'm spending a lot of my weekends in continuing ed classes and learning. When sunday comes around I don't even want to go to the match, I'd rather hang out and rest and spend time with the GF and dog. Even though matches used to be 1-2 hours away and now it's just a 5 minute drive.

I'm a little confused, because I still really like to shoot stuff. We went to the range this weekend and just plinked 45 reloads at some steel at a 1-shot-per-second-no-drawing range. Which I thought would suck, but was nice since I wasn't doing a drill or trying to achieve anything but making some noise and some hits. But in packing up for this range adventure, I realized that all my gear is competition based. I don't have any "fun" or only "range toy" things to shoot. What I did put in the trunk was the equivalent of a used jeep/range rover in competition gear. I thought"hey, I should sell all this stuff and go on off road weekend camping adventures!" And then realizing that was silly, thought I should sell most everything and use it to put a down payment on a house together! It is the adult thing to do, right?

I like to shoot, I like guns, I like tinkering in my little shop and working on them, but moving piles and piles of crap (3 gunners know what i mean) up and down the stairs to load the truck, pull it around all day in a stroller and then go home sleepy, dirty, sore, and at least $100 more broke just doesn't appeal to me like it did a year ago. I like having guns for HD, carry, range visits, and all that, but I'm really thinking competition might not be for me for a while.

I'm a pretty decent shooter, too. I would win or place at local matches, but I really don't want to spend any time practicing dry fire. Sure, I could get to be a master (I know I could if I wanted to) but I just don't want to. I just plain don't care to be any more competitive than a big fish in a small pond. I was told I could be a serious player in a local 3 gun team and start touring and stuff with them, if I just won IDPA events. But my first thought wasn't about that, it was about not wanting to learn another game I don't like and compete when I didn't really want to. I seem to have lost the thrill of the hunt, and my desire to get better and be the best is lessoning as I age (just turned 30).

Not sure if this is much more than a rant, but I'm looking to see if anyone has been in my shoes, or has been hit with more than just a slump. I've taken time off, I've worked matches, I've shot fun ones without trying to hard, and I've tried switching platforms, so just not sure what else to try? Don't worry, I'm not depressed, happier than I ever have been, actually. And I'm not going to do anything silly like sell nostalgic guns or stuff that couldn't be replaced.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know what you mean. I have not shot in a few months and I really don't miss it. I like to shoot, I still do, but dragging my a$$ out in the early morning just doesn't have the thrill as it used to anymore. I don't have the motivation to sign up for any major matches yet and if I don't shoot one this year, I don't think I would be disappointed. I do missed my friends that I only see on the ranges and I will shoot matches here and there primarily for that reason.

Maybe instead of quitting cold turkey, you could still shoot a match here and there. Sell off some stuff and keep some others that you would be happy with. Or just hold on to them for now and wait a year or two before selling them off. If you sell them, you can just replace them if and when you want to compete again.

If you don't spring out of bed on the weekend thinking "It's Match Day!", you should probaby take a break. I wouldn't sell any guns though - I assume your guns and gear are set up to your own personal tastes, are reliable, and you trust them to run 100%. It often costs a lot in both time and money to get that level of comfort out of a new gun.

Shooting should never be a chore.

i've never been one to get super-attached to guns, honestly. None have been gifts (anti gun family, turned ambivalent ) and none are passed down (see first example). It seems since I'm new into my career it's just an awful lot of money to be tied up for a year or 2, sitting in a dark safe. If I can put it towards a house or something, that might help me get started a year or so before just saving up.

Plus I wouldn't sell everything! Gotta have some toys to play with for sure.

i always feel the same way every year... but i always find that whenever i dig deep down and analyze everything... i am always up for the challenge...considering i constantly change platforms...if not every year...

Take a break. Take your girl friend shooting casually to maintain gun handling and marksmanship skills. I use to be hot for IDPA but work and family schedules precluding shooting matches so most weekends I take my wife out and we run a few drills with shot timer for about 150-200 rounds of pistol. Nowadays IDPA matches burn the better part of a day they are so crowded in my area. I enjoy the social aspect and go as I am clear with other priorities. Service type work at matches or professional societies will tend to burn you out.

I also use to shoot a lot of skeet and 5 stand in preparation for upland game hunting. After a while those hunting opportunities changed as well as my shotgun habits.

Go hunting, camping, kayaking or something similar. There is a time and season for everything.

You are relatively still young at 30 something. Plenty of time for life changes.

Best,

Satch

I would say take the break and focus on your career and family.

When it comes to your equipment I have mixed feelings.

You enjoy 3 gun and IDPA, keep an idpa rig and get rid of everything else?

That way you can get a head start on the house thing and still have one sport to dabble in when you feel the fancy too.

You could always buy your equipment again.

Good luck.

I take the winter off. When my local club stops hosting matches, I'm done. I hole up, do some reloading, and start lifting weights. I'll pick up a new hobby. I just started skiing and that's fun as hell. This spring, I'm trying to get back into pole vaulting so my break might be longer. Do something you have always wanted to do. Maybe go sky dive or hiking, or biking.

Focus on something else for a while. Shooting a 3 gun comp 4-6x a month is a tiring affair and it is completely natural to feel burned out. I won't tell you to sell or not sell your guns and gear.

Everything we do goes in cycles. How long or deep of a cycle each activity is will be different for everyone. We only have so much time on this earth. Don't waste the limited time you have trying to force or maintain an outcome that is not worth it to you. If competitive shooting isn't "Worth it" to you right now, then walk away and put your efforts into the next thing that tickles your fancy. If you happen to change your mind later on down the road, competitive shooting will still be available.

What to do with your guns and gear is totally up to you. But in the competition world there is ALWAYS the "Next" hot thing which makes the older model obsolete or undesirable. If you don't have any sentimental attachment to your current competition guns or gear, and are truly over it, I would suggest selling what you have now while the guns and gear are still relevant and competitive. Selling your guns and gear now will give you the best return on investment. Verses socking them away in a safe for 5 - 10 years and risk them being far outdated by the time you want to use them again or sell them.

I hate to think that I am helping someone leave the sport, but as I said before, we only have so much time on this earth. Use that time effectively. If that means leaving the sport to pursue other things then so be it. Do what makes you happy and feels rewarding when you do it.

If matches used to be 1-2 hrs away and now they are 5 mins and you still have no interest I think you've got your answer. Depending on how new your competition equipment is you might want to just put everything away for a couple of months but it certainly sounds like you have moved on .... Competitive shooting will still be around if the interest stirs again ...

I am not a gun collector either. If I don't want one any longer or need cash quick I sell. Makes sense to sell now as opposed to later since they are probably still up to date. I think what gets people is getting over involved. I always go back to my golfing past when ever I see somebody burned out. I used to play 2-3 weekends a month when I first got started and go to a driving range if I was bored on a weeknight every once in awhile. Then I started getting better and joined a private club. Paid up front and golfed for free as much as I wanted and free range balls anytime. BAM! I started going to the driving range every day and playing 9 holes 2-3 nights a week and many times 18 both weekend days. Got down to a single digit handicap started signing up and traveling to tournaments, etc... One day I went to the course and drove one down the middle and had no desire to even go get the ball. Went home and packed the clubs away and have not hit a ball since. That has been probably 7-8 years ago. Not everybody is cut out to be a Pro golfer and do it every single day. Not every shooter is meant to shoot every weekend in a match, help set up, work the match, get sponsored, etc.

My first step would be to graciously bow out of setting up and working matches. PERIOD. Then shoot every other weekend or so and see if it feels more relaxed and fun. After doing those things and not feeling it then I would probably call it quits. The only guns I would not sell are the ones you think might be outlawed someday. Or hi cap magazines. Keep that stuff.

Good luck and I hope you find something.

Maybe try another game. I just turned 70 and have shot competition since 1965. Started out in bullseye,went through trap,skeet,metallic handgun silhouette,black powder cartridge, masters, idpa, icore and Second Chance bowling pin,though that match left me, regrettably. still shoot some 3 d archery, sporting clays, steel challenge and uspsa. Last few years it's been 3 gun. I like the challenge of being competent in a new game and the learning curve that goes with it. I cannot conceive of not being involved in SOME shooting sport.

I think you have to do what is right for you. I have gotten into and out of competitive shooting several times over the years. There is a possible side effect of this you should be aware of. If you stop spending time and money on shooting this may become the normal way of living for you and your spousal unit. If you decide to get back into it (or another shooting sport) at a later time there is a possibility that said spousal unit will be less understanding of the commitment of time and money required the next time. I'm not saying that's a reason to keep doing it if you feel you want to stop or take a break. However, it might be worth having a conversation about it up front if you want to sort of keep the door the open for the future.

oh I would still spend money on shooting, but going to do stuff with her could certainly make up for it. On a day we skipped matches, we ended up at the science museum, lunch out, and the aquarium. I'm sure I could stick some money away and just spend that $100/wk on a down payment for a house and then eventually new gear! I'll still squirrel the money somehow

Listen to Sarge, I think he has it...

I went from drag racing to Stock cars to Silhouette to Drag bikes to stock cars to boats to Clay targets to snowmobiles to drag racing to High Power to USPSA to IDPA to airplanes to 3Gun to drag racing to 3Gun.

In all of that, I have always hunted, and always shot at the range casually at least 4 or 5 times a year. Jobs and women are the two greatest distractions for men, but the right one can make the man. If you found "your kind of crazy" in your girlfriend, any amount of time with no shooting is worth it. However the right one won't let you give it up if you really love it.

I'd go read post #12 again too.

Best wishes in your choices.

yeah, she's a keeper for sure. House, family, etc is coming over the horizon quickly. But we went to the range and she went to shoot my new M&P (all stock) and said "What's with this shitty trigger? Give me the 1911 back". Asked if I should sell the M&P and get the 1911 all done up custom, and she said "that, or wait for christmas and I'll make it happen".

I have shot relatively few matches over the last 10 years. I got married, we now have two kids, and I moved away from my local club. Family needs to come first. When my boys are old enough I hope we can start going to matches together but for now I am trying to keep it to one match per month if I am lucky. I still have all of my gear and have been modernizing my 3 gun gear in hopes to be able to sneak away more often but I figure that shooting will always be there waiting for me when I am ready to come back full time.

Edited by alma

Also, at first I would say don't sell your gear but after thinking on that a bit I have changed my mind;in you think it will be several years then sell what you won't be using. Coming back into the sport it's almost like starting over from scratch because so much has changed. Sure, I could use may old gear but the state of the art has changed considerably. This issue must true in 3 gun which resembles a totally different sport then what it was when I use to play. Even shooting production my gear is no longer top of the line and I don't think I could sell most of it for any kind of reasonable price. Also, coming back in fell like a good time to try new things so I took the opportunity to switch from Glocks to another platform. I have 3 tricked out Glocks in my safe now that see very little action and it makes me a little sad.