Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550 LOADING 44 MAG

I was loading 44 mag yesterday on my 550 and was having trouble on station 1 with the retaining clip and trying to find a location that it would hold the brass in tight and still allow installing the next piece of brass after going to the next station. Finally gave up on the clip and moved it out of the way which caused trouble with a few rounds sliding back out of the way during priming. I couldn't find a spot that would allow both to happen. Anyone have a suggestion about how to adjust the clip or do i make another one just for the larger cased 44?

It doesn't need to hold the brass tight. It's just there to keep the brass from backing out. Adjust the clip to very lightly touch the case on the side. You should easily be able to push another case in. If it's too tight it will bind on the shellplate when you turn it, and not let you easily insert another case.

Even when i backed the spring out as far as it would go i couldn't insert the next piece past the spring without the bent part hitting the sidewall. Aggrivated the hell out of me yesterday, there was no location where it would barely touch the brass that it would also index to next station or allow the insertion of another piece of brass. Never had this problem with any other calibers, maybe the 44 is just too large for the factory supplied spring

I have the clip installed as shown in the picture. I will take a photo and post in the morning, but the bent end shown on the clip hits the left side if I have it located as shown in the picture and the new piece of brass will not bypass on the right to get to station 1. I'm sure it's a simple fix that I'm just not seeing

It appears the wire is in too close to the case. The wire should almost touch the rim of the case, with a .002-.004" gap. The wire is there to prevent the case from coming out of the shellplate, not to push it in. If the wire sits a bit high, just bend it down so it is in line with the rim of the case, not the body of the case.